Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: Adopting another kitty

ours was pretty dumb. the sweetest thing ever. we got her when my youngest brother was about 3 and if no one was watching he would ride her and pull her tail, etc. and she never so much as growled at him, just took my little brother's loving abuse lol

she was also deathly frightened of little yappy dogs and had no idea how big she was and would constantly try to cram herself into the tiniest spaces.
    KrisNine likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

That sounds like our house. My girl likes to wrap scarves and blankets around him. She also loves to play with his ears, nostrils and feet. She hugs him, puts hats and bows on him, drives toy cars on his back and lines up her dolls on top of him. He just takes it. Truth is, he loves her. Mostly because she will freely feed him all sorts of goodies. So, he'll put up with anything for a bite of burger, banana or bread

Toby isn't a fan of little dogs that bark a lot. He'll move behind me when we're walking.
    sputnik, McJag and Air Quotes like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Kris, it breaks my heart to say this but I think there might be more going on with your old fella than your vet is able to pick up. Cats tend to pee everywhere as a territorial thing when they are feeling distressed; I guess smelling themselves everywhere is their way of trying to feel safer and less likely to come under attack, particularly when they don't feel able to defend themselves properly. Unfortunately Kirby might be feeling the weight of his years and health problems a lot more than can be told through a physical check and this is his way of showing it. He might also be starting with feline senility as well (hence the panic attacks/yowling).
    KrisNine likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    Kris, it breaks my heart to say this but I think there might be more going on with your old fella than your vet is able to pick up. Cats tend to pee everywhere as a territorial thing when they are feeling distressed; I guess smelling themselves everywhere is their way of trying to feel safer and less likely to come under attack, particularly when they don't feel able to defend themselves properly. Unfortunately Kirby might be feeling the weight of his years and health problems a lot more than can be told through a physical check and this is his way of showing it. He might also be starting with feline senility as well (hence the panic attacks/yowling).
    I think you're definitely right. I'm pretty sure there is something else going on. My gut tells me that something, in addition to his kidney issues, is just not right. Something has to be going on for there to be blood is his urine, right? It would seem so to me. I think we're going to have to go back to our old vet and have them take a crack at solving this. Our current vet is telling us that it's just his kidneys, there are no stones or infections and he's not in pain. I'm worried that he's in pain and I'm not doing anything about it.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

The problem is that it can be damn hard to tell when a cat is in pain because they'll keep on being loving and purring right up to the last. If there is blood in his urine then there is definitely something going on so I would absolutely get him a second opinion but in all honesty I think the time is coming close. You know I don't say that lightly Kris, Gods know that I was grateful for the extra couple of weeks I managed to steal for my girl, but knowing how much you love Kirby I have to be honest and suggest that you start preparing.
    KrisNine likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    The problem is that it can be damn hard to tell when a cat is in pain because they'll keep on being loving and purring right up to the last. If there is blood in his urine then there is definitely something going on so I would absolutely get him a second opinion but in all honesty I think the time is coming close. You know I don't say that lightly Kris, Gods know that I was grateful for the extra couple of weeks I managed to steal for my girl, but knowing how much you love Kirby I have to be honest and suggest that you start preparing.
    I know you don't say that lightly, Kitty. You are, after all, Kittylady We've been preparing ourselves since we got the diagnosis. Way back about 14 years ago, I lost one of my cats to chronic renal failure. The care has come a long way, but it's still an end of life thing. I don't want to be one of those people who loses sight about what's going on. You know, the people that have a pet that is dying and in pain, but they keep pumping the pet full of all sorts of medicines, treatments, vet appointments, etc. but it's obvious the pet is not doing well. The owners keep going because they love the pet and see little signs of their old pet. I know, my mom is doing this right now with the family dog.

So, we're planning on another vet appointment, with our old vet this week. Another round of blood tests and exams. After that, we're going to have to make some decisions and have a plan. I don't want this cat to suffer because I can't let go, but I don't want to let go too soon.

Kris,brace. I hope this vet will detect some new thing that can be fixed. This is the part of pet ownership that sucks. We will cheer with you if the news as good,cry with you if it is bad. I think you owe it to that cat to give it your best try,and you are. Hugs.
    KrisNine likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thanks, McJag.

He's doing pretty good right now. Good appetite and eating well. Drinking a lot, but less than before. Best thing is no blood in the urine. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Not ready to throw in the towel, but being realistic.
    faithanne and McJag like this.

I have my fingers crossed for you and Kirby!
    KrisNine likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Thanks, faithanne

I just want to have a healthy kitty

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I thought it was a UTI/cystitis but the vet says it's not. There isn't any bacteria in his urine. At least not enough to show an infection. Still, because of his age and state of his kidneys, he's on another round of antibiotics. Food was another issue we had with him. We finally found a good food with a reasonable amount of protein and he'll eat it. It's wet-food, but he also has a bowl of dry he can crunch on throughout the day if he's hungry.

We bought him a kitty water fountain. He seems to like it, because of the constant flow of water. He still runs to any water source he can find. Toilets, sinks, baths and the shower.

I'm hoping we're just going through a rough patch. It's heartbreaking and frustrating at the same time. He doesn't take care of himself very well. He's never been a really pristine cat. Now that he's always seeking out water, he's always got wet paws, so when he visits his litter box he gets his feet caked with litter. Then, he just runs out of the box like a bat out of hell, trailing litter behind him. Next, he'll want to sleep on the back of the couch or our bed and there is a nasty pile of litter lift behind. Eww.

Thanks for your advice. It's nice to hear success stories. Your kitty lived to a ripe old age
    Awww poor little dirty kitty, hehe I really sympathize because I went through the same thing with my old lady kitty. In the end we started bathing her once a week because she just wasn't cleaning herself anymore, she very sweetly never put up much of a fight against it. We also bought some pet wipes you could use with cats to wipe her paws down every so often. And we invested in a cat littler mat that was supposed to stop her walking off with clumps of cat litter on her fur (unfortunately she peed on that one so we threw it out).

It's hard work but worth it while they aren't suffering.

I'd get a second opinion on the UTI though, it doesn't always come up in a bacteria test (I know first hand from when I've personally had them) and the medicine really clears things up for kitty.

Sounds like you're doing everything you can to make your cat's life easier, you're a lovely pet owner!

Oh yeah, even when my cat wasn't fond of eating food, she would still eat treats so it helps to have a packet around when you're worried they're not eating enough
    KrisNine and faithanne like this.

Quote Originally Posted by yowzers View Post
    Awww poor little dirty kitty, hehe I really sympathize because I went through the same thing with my old lady kitty. In the end we started bathing her once a week because she just wasn't cleaning herself anymore, she very sweetly never put up much of a fight against it. We also bought some pet wipes you could use with cats to wipe her paws down every so often. And we invested in a cat littler mat that was supposed to stop her walking off with clumps of cat litter on her fur (unfortunately she peed on that one so we threw it out).

It's hard work but worth it while they aren't suffering.

I'd get a second opinion on the UTI though, it doesn't always come up in a bacteria test (I know first hand from when I've personally had them) and the medicine really clears things up for kitty.

Sounds like you're doing everything you can to make your cat's life easier, you're a lovely pet owner!

Oh yeah, even when my cat wasn't fond of eating food, she would still eat treats so it helps to have a packet around when you're worried they're not eating enough
    Thank you for thinking I'm a lovely pet owner. I try and hope I succeed. The dog and cat both seem to love me still

We got one of those mats and he peed on it, too. I'm thinking of switching to the old litter that was harder to track. Of course, you can't scoop it, but I could toss it every other day. Just get the big stuff out

I've just been using my daughters baby wipes on his feet. They're hypo-allergenic and fragrance free.

I'm hoping our old doc will be able to figure out what's going on. Kirby and I need a break!!
    McJag and yowzers like this.

Awww sounds like you both do! You've done absolutely everything you possibly can, I'm sure your cat appreciates it! <3
    KrisNine likes this.

Well, a new year and the old guy is still hanging in there. He gets fluids every few days under his skin and that seems to perk him up. We've stopped the other medications, mostly. Every time I would give him a pill, he would vomit. Kind of defeated the purpose of everything. Same with the prescription food. We give him the fluids, his nasty favorite canned food and it seems like once a month we give him a few days worth of antibiotics to wipe out some of the gunk in his urinary tract.

He's doing pretty good and everyday we have him, we're grateful.
    MmeVertigina, McJag, palta and 2 others like this.

Glad to hear this update!
    KrisNine likes this.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information