Thread: 12-inch dog in full body plaster cast after attack

Default 12-inch dog in full body plaster cast after attack

Fudge: The dog had suffered a broken neck and had a smashed bone in his back after the horrific attack while he was being walked by his owner in January Photo: ROSS PARRY

Seven-year-old miniature pinscher Fudge - who stands just 12 inches tall - spent four weeks in the plaster after a huge dog of the notorious Japanese Akita breed lunged at him and grabbed his throat.
    The dog had suffered a broken neck and had a smashed bone in his back after the horrific attack while he was being walked by his owner in January.
    Fudge was rushed to the PDSA PetAid hospital, the Jeanne Marchig centre, in Bradford, West Yorks. Vets at the animal charity were not convinced he would survive and it seemed impossible he would walk again. But two months on he is back on all four paws.

John Taylor, the PDSA senior veterinary surgeon, said: "The x-rays showed he had a broken neck, his second vertebra. The prognosis for such injuries isn't good.
    "His extensive injuries meant Fudge was unable to stand or use his front legs. The odds of him walking again were certainly stacked against him, but we weren't going to give up easily."
    The veterinary team stitched up Fudge's wounds and placed the tiny dog in a full body cast to hold his broken bones in place. In order to be effective, the cast had to immobilise his head and neck while allowing enough movement for him to breathe.
    Fudge then spent nearly four weeks at PDSA, having two further casts fitted as he healed. Mr Taylor added: "Fudge wasn't able to walk or stand up in his cast so he needed extensive nursing care. He received physiotherapy and massages every day to get his legs working again."

The day after having his cast removed Fudge was allowed to return to his owner, who does not wish to be named.
    His owner, of Bradford, said: "We were on our way home when a young lad with a huge dog walked past.
    "My Fudge is a friendly little chap so he stopped just for a sniff, as dogs do. Without warning, the other dog grabbed Fudge by the throat and started shaking him around like a rag doll.
    "It was a terrifying attack and though we eventually separated the dogs I honestly thought he was dead. His body was limp, there were wounds on his neck and he wasn't making a sound. I rushed him straight to the PDSA fearing the worst.
    The owner added: "I was so worried about him after his ordeal, every time PDSA called to update me I feared it could be bad news. But his recovery has been wonderful. I can't praise PDSA enough. The staff treated him like one of their own, I'm eternally grateful."
    Bradford PDSA PetAid hospital provides free veterinary treatment to the sick and injured pets of owners in need. To be eligible for PDSA veterinary care, pet owners must be in receipt of either Housing Benefit or Council Tax Benefit.

12-inch dog in full body plaster cast after attack - Telegraph

That just gives every dog owner chills.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

But I was expecting to read a human did it and that would infuriate me more than what happened... even though it's still horrific. I have a smallish dog and I always worry about this stuff when I walk him. I get freaked when i see large dogs approaching. You can't even think anymore 'Oh the owner will keep the dog away' because some asshole might be delighted to watch his huge dog rip a little dog to shreds.

That photo is killing me.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I'm glad that the little dog survived, but what happened with the larger dog? Were any charges brought against the owner? Was an order laid down that it had to be muzzled in public? I hate to sound like a hysterical old fogey, but what if it'd been a small child that had toddled up to the dog? I've known people with akita's and they are bloody big, powerful dogs. I went along on a walk with one of them a few times and it damn near dislocated my shoulder when it tried to take off after a plastic bag that the wind had caught.

Omg, poor doggy

I worry about this all of the time with my chi. You just never know.

Unhappy

Wow.

A German Shepherd ran out of a house and across the street and grabbed my dog and it was horrible. Luckily the owner (a cop) ran out and a neighbor and got the dog to stop.
    My mom was walking her "granddog" she was just as shook up as my dog.. who was in shock and had to go to the vet for multiple puncture wounds. Which the cop paid.. He knew he was in the wrong big time, he also stated " Ya my dog has issues with small animals" Ya think...?!
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

little dogs look like rodents.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Oh, Fudge looks so cute in his little cast, poor thing! Ha ha, he is a min-pin and they are feisty little thug wannabes....I know because Crumpet is 1/2 min-pin. She is only 8 inches tall though. I'm so glad he is okay. If I were the owner of the big dog I would be so guilt ridden, but I believe you know if your dog is aggressive or not and you should take precautions if that is the case.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

i bet the little rat ran up to the big dog barking, its bug-eyed head off
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    i bet the little rat ran up to the big dog barking, its bug-eyed head off
    Since it's a min-pin, I really have to wonder that myself. They aren't known for being friendly to strange people or other dogs. Still cute though.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

*resists the urge to kick*

^ *Doesn't resist the urge to kick*

Thread Information