Thread: Parrot honored for saving toddler's life

Default Parrot honored for saving toddler's life

Bill Ritter and Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper joined the Red Cross in honoring Colorado's heroes on Friday.
    The Mile High's Chapter's "Breakfast of Champions" honors people who have saved lives using Red Cross skills.
    The honorees came in all ages and ... species. The Animal Lifesaver Award went to Willie the parrot, CBS station KCNC-TV reports.
    Red Cross spokesperson Jim Rettew says it's unusual to honor a bird but he says if you hear the story, it's a great one.
    KCNC-TV first brought you Willie's story back in November. Willie and his owner Megan Howard were babysitting a toddler named Hannah.

Megan went into the bathroom and moments later heard Willie screaming, "Mama, Baby" over and over.
    She ran out and saw that Hanna was turning blue. She was choking on her breakfast.
    Hanna's mother, Samantha Kuusk says she's told the story countless times, but it never gets any less frightening.
    "The part where she turned blue is always when my heart drops no matter how many times I've heard it," Kuusk says. "My heart drops in my stomach and I get all teary eyed."
    Kuusk says Megan is also a hero, since she performed the Heimlich maneuver and saved Hannan's life. But Megan is very humble.
    "I still say that I did what I had to do and he (Willie) is the real hero," said Megan.
    Megan says Willie may not understand all of this publicity and praise, but she never forgets what could have happened if Willie hadn't spoken up.
    She was overwhelmed by the honor given to them by the Red Cross Mile High Chapter.
    "He's kind of small and he's just a bird but he's in there with all of these people that have gone above and beyond just to save people's lives and it's an honor to be in there and know he's recognized for what he did," said Megan.

Since Willie's story originally aired in November, Willie has been honored by organizations all over the world. Megan has told their story on the Rachel Ray Show, in People Magazine and Reader's Digest.

Willie The Parrot Honored For Saving Toddler's Life In Denver - wjz.com

Parrots make good burglar alarms,too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information