Thread: Pink elephant is caught on camera

Default Pink elephant is caught on camera

The little pink calf was spotted in amongst an 80-strong elephant herd

A pink baby elephant has been caught on camera in Botswana.
    A wildlife cameraman took pictures of the calf when he spotted it among a herd of about 80 elephants in the Okavango Delta.
    Experts believe it is probably an albino, which is an extremely rare phenomenon in African elephants.
    They are unsure of its chances of long-term survival - the blazing African sunlight may cause blindness and skin problems for the calf.
    Mike Holding, who spotted the baby while filming for a BBC wildlife programme, said: "We only saw it for a couple of minutes as the herd crossed the river.
    The baby elephant seems to be sheltering under its mother to protect itself from the sun

"This was a really exciting moment for everyone in camp. We knew it was a rare sighting - no-one could believe their eyes."

Documented evidence
    Albino elephants are not usually white, but instead they have more of a reddish-brown or pink hue.
    While albinism is thought to be fairly common in Asian elephants, it is much less common in the larger African species.

Surviving this very rare phenomenon is very difficult in the harsh African bush
    Dr Mike Chase, Elephants Without Borders

Ecologist Dr Mike Chase, who runs conservation charity Elephants Without Borders, said: "I have only come across three references to albino calves, which have occurred in Kruger National Park in South Africa.
    "This is probably the first documented sighting of an albino elephant in northern Botswana.
    "We have been studying elephants in the region for nearly 10 years now, and this is the first documented evidence of an albino calf that I have come across."
    He said that the condition might make it difficult for the calf to survive into adulthood.
    "What happens to these young albino calves remains a mystery," said Dr Chase.
    "Surviving this very rare phenomenon is very difficult in the harsh African bush. The glaring sun may cause blindness and skin problems."
    However, he told BBC News that there might be a ray of hope for the pink calf as it already seemed to be learning to adapt to its condition.

I have learned that elephants are highly adaptable, intelligent and masters of survival
    Dr Mike Chase, Elephants Without Borders

Dr Chase explained: "Because this elephant calf was sighted in the Okavango Delta, he may have a greater chance of survival. He can seek refuge under the large trees and cake himself in a thick mud, which will protect him from the Sun.
    "Already the two-to-three-month-old calf seems to be walking in the shade of its mother.
    "This behaviour suggests it is aware of its susceptibility to the harsh African sun, and adapted a unique behaviour to improve its chances of survival." He added: "I have learned that elephants are highly adaptable, intelligent and masters of survival."

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Pink elephant is caught on camera

AWW.. I love elephants, no matter what color!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Sleepy night night land

Me too, Diva....I love them!

Add me to the list of those who love them, they are so smart. I watched a documentary about orphans, it's too bad more than 50% of them die
    My goal is to be happy with my life.

In the "D"

Maybe we should pool our excess cash and send over a couple of cases of SPF30 for the little guy.

Sweet baby Pinky. I want him!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Poor thing. I hope the sun won't burn him.

a backwards hillbilly state

Poor baby. I hate to think of him getting burnt up.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Thread Information