Thread: From starving waif to star of the show: The pony who was left to rot in stables

Default From starving waif to star of the show: The pony who was left to rot in stables

Starved, crippled by his overgrown hooves and trapped cowering in a pitch-black stable, he was a picture of neglect.
    When RSPCA officers raided a farm and discovered six-year-old chestnut Ali, they feared he might never walk properly again.
    But, against all the odds, Ali is not only walking - he has become a prize-winning show pony.

Enlarge Magnificent creature: Ali, a six-year-old chestnut gelding takes part in a horse show after his rescue by the RSPCA

Yesterday an RSPCA officer, who was so shocked by Ali's state that she adopted him, described his ordeal - and his eventual triumph.
    Jackie Hickman, 38, said: 'I've never seen anything like it before.
    'I'm a registered farrier and Ali's feet looked like they had never been looked at, treated or filed. The pain for him must have been excruciating, his hooves were around a foot overgrown and had even started to curl upwards.
    'I knew that it would take months to nurse him back to health and didn't even know if he would ever be able to walk properly.'

Pitiful: Ali as he was when found, emaciated, covered in sores and with unclipped hooves curling up

But just a year later the pony boasts a long glossy mane and perfectly trimmed hooves.
    His looks have earned him a winning rosette in the 'in hand' class - where the animals are led rather than ridden.
    'Ali has been through so much in a very short space of time,' said Mrs Hickman, from Staffordshire.
    'He had never been handled or turned out, he had been locked in a dark stable with another neglected pony who had to be put down.
    'I took him to the show to improve his confidence and let him have a look around. But he was so at ease that I decided to enter him into a class.
    'Amazingly he picked up a rosette, I was really proud of him.'
    Ali was rescued from the home of Monica Hewitt, 84, from Roston, Derbyshire, who earlier this month was jailed for four months.
    Hewitt, who was a pony club judge for more than 20 years, admitted 13 counts of causing unnecessary suffering to animals.
    A total of 31 horses were found in squalid conditions at her farm in March last year.
    Seven of them had to be put down.
    Mrs Hickman said: 'When I saw Ali, I just knew I had to give him a home.
    'He is such a happy chappie and he has learned to trust me. He comes up for a cuddle and is very loving.'

From starving waif to star of the show: The pony with curled-up hooves who recovered to become a prize-winner | Mail Online

Who could treat such a darling pony like that?? He looks so great now. Bless that lady.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Jesus....who could do such a thing???

Poor thing, I'm so glad the little guy is on the mend and is being loved.

OMG! Poor thing! Glad he's taken care of now.
    Go Habs Go!!

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

That is a really nice story.

"During the raid by the RSPCA, Mrs Hewitt was asked whether she kept any more animals, leading to the discovery of four Jack Russell terriers living in cat carriers piled on top of each other in her kitchen."

"Most of the horses at the farm were kept in squalor, living in up to two foot of their own faeces and with hideously deformed hooves described in court as 'curled up like Aladdin slippers'.

Some of the horses had hooves which had grown to 26 inches long, more than six times the recommended length and led vets to believe they had been suffering for up to five years.

Many had coats so badly matted in manure that it took days to clean them and in many cases their skin came off with the manure."
    ---------------------------------------------------------

"The court heard that RSPCA inspectors found emaciated ponies with coats matted in manure, rotting teeth, breathing problems and hooves so deformed they had twisted into spirals"
    --------------------------------------------------------
    "farrier said he never seen feet in such bad condition as those of a bay stallion that had to be put to sleep. The foot measured 26 inches and should have been just four inches, the RSPCA said. Several other ponies were unable to walk properly, and it was estimated that some had suffered for several years.

All the ponies were very nervous. Small buckets of dirty water were all they had to drink and the carpet of manure on the ground and lack of bedding meant they had nowhere to lie down."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "And in a rubbish-strewn room at the property, the RSPCA discovered four Jack Russell terriers, kept in cat carriers, with severely diseased gums and other health problems. One of the dogs was in so much pain he cried when he tried to eat, the RSPCA said. In the end, seven of the horses and two of the dogs were put to sleep on vets' advice."

Sources:
    Extreme pony neglect discovered - Inpictures - Virgin Media
    Pony show judge jailed over animal neglect - Scotsman.com Heritage & Culture
    BBC NEWS | UK | England | Derbyshire | Woman, 84, jailed for animal harm
    Burton news from Burton-on-Trent and Staffordshire - Horse show judge jailed for cruelty
    Pensioner jailed for animal cruelty - News - Ashbourne News Telegraph

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

I hope that bitch dies a long, miserable death.

I am glad there was finally a happy ending.

Thread Information