Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Orang-utan catches rope thrown by humans, swims across river to save her baby

  1. #1
    Elite Member Honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    59,006

    Default Orang-utan catches rope thrown by humans, swims across river to save her baby

    All mothers know there is no limit to what they will do to protect their children.
    But this mother orang-utan proved that the selfless sentiment extends to the animal kingdom also.
    These astonishing pictures from the World Wildlife Fund capture the moment the terrified mother caught a rope thrown to her by humans and swam across a flooded river to bring her baby to safety.

    Easy does it: The mother orang-utan, her baby clinging to her chest, catches the rope thrown to her by wildlife officials



    Clinging to the tree, she clutches the rope as her baby clings to her

    It is a long-held belief that the giant apes are petrified of water. But the mother did not appear to give her leap into the swollen river a second thought.
    The amazing pictures were taken by local officials of the WWF on the Malaysian island of Borneo.
    Villagers had reported that the mother and her baby were stranded in a tree when a river flooded on the north east tip of the island.
    Some reports claimed they had been trapped there for several days.

    The Sabah Wildlife Department, which is linked to WWF, sent a team to the area and set up a rope bridge so they could get close to the hungry mother and baby.
    But what next? How could they coax her to climb down from the tree when orang-utans have always been thought to be afraid of water? Even when it rains they scamper for shelter.

    Finally she takes the plunge, dog-paddling through the water as she ferried her baby to safety

    Then the rangers came up with the 'impossible idea' of throwing the mother a rope to cling on to so she could swim to the nearest river bank, said an official.
    Anything was worth a try.
    So a rope was tossed to the mother - and unbelievably she reached out and grabbed it.
    Then in a scene that no-one could have ever imagined, she climbed down the tree, with the baby on her back, and slipped into the water.
    Clinging to the rope, and ensuring the baby's head was above the water, she dog-paddled towards the river bank and scrambled up.
    'We were able to give her some food, bananas and other fruit, before she and the baby disappeared into the jungle,' said an official.
    'It's always been thought that orang-utans hate water but we now know that if they're desperate, especially if they have a baby whose life depends on them, they'll take any kind of risk.'

    Amazing moment an orang-utan caught a rope thrown by humans and swam across flooded river to save her baby | Mail Online

  2. #2
    Elite Member McJag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    42,527

    Default

    Oh,that is the sweetest thing! Good mama.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

  3. #3
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,370

    Default

    That is so touching....I love these babies.

  4. #4
    Elite Member celeb_2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    13,468

    Default

    It's amazing how animals like apes and cats will risk their own lives to save their babies, while some humans toss their babies in the dumpster.

  5. #5
    SVZ
    SVZ is offline
    Do fish have boogers? SVZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Venus
    Posts
    1,000,003,609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    It's amazing how animals like apes and cats will risk their own lives to save their babies, while some humans toss their babies in the dumpster.
    yeah..and then sometimes they'll eat them...

  6. #6
    Elite Member sparkly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches
    Posts
    14,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    yeah..and then sometimes they'll eat them...
    Humans or animals?
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

  7. #7
    Elite Member Sweetie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Den of the roving cunty bitches
    Posts
    24,533

    Default

    brilliant animals.

  8. #8
    Elite Member cynic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,435

    Default

    ....I find it fascinating to watch a wild animal weighing its options on whether to accept human help....because so many times....humans cause them grief and pain, which they remember.....and yet, the will to survive and protect their young will override their natural instincts to stay the hell away from humans...

    ....I've got a fox den on my property and we've had a severe drought for the past several years which is causing a lot of the smaller streams and creeks to dry up.....I've been putting out water in containers here and there to try to help out.....

    ...the foxes were the last ones to come close enough to the house to drink....but now that they are having their spring babies.....the moms are forcing themselves to trust me enough to come up and get water.....they watch me carefully the entire time they drink.....ready to run off if I so much as move my arm....poor buggers.....

    ...the orang had too much water and my critters don't have enough....and Mother Nature just does not give a damn.....

  9. #9
    Elite Member *DIVA!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    15,736

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ....I find it fascinating to watch a wild animal weighing its options on whether to accept human help....because so many times....humans cause them grief and pain, which they remember.....and yet, the will to survive and protect their young will override their natural instincts to stay the hell away from humans...

    ....I've got a fox den on my property and we've had a severe drought for the past several years which is causing a lot of the smaller streams and creeks to dry up.....I've been putting out water in containers here and there to try to help out.....

    ...the foxes were the last ones to come close enough to the house to drink....but now that they are having their spring babies.....the moms are forcing themselves to trust me enough to come up and get water.....they watch me carefully the entire time they drink.....ready to run off if I so much as move my arm....poor buggers.....

    ...the orang had too much water and my critters don't have enough....and Mother Nature just does not give a damn.....
    How cute and sweet...
    the orang-utan story is as well.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

    I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

  10. #10
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    13,940

    Default

    Very cute story.
    cynic - that's good you've been providing the foxes with water. I have a family of foxes that visit my garden and I try to always give them some food. They are interesting to watch, especially when their cubs are around.

  11. #11
    Elite Member cynic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,435

    Default

    ^^someone who knows more about foxes than I do said that it was not good to feed them....I was told that, unlike a lot of animals, they will lose the ability to hunt for themselves once they are fed.....?.....but I have noticed them eating the peanuts I put out for the birds, so I'm guilty of it, too.....

    ...have you ever heard them feeding their kits at night?.....the first time I heard the young ones, I thought someone was killing women in the woods....they are terrifying to hear.....loud, high-pitched screams.....I haven't seen the young ones, mom keeps them well hidden......

  12. #12
    Elite Member MrsMarsters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    HELL
    Posts
    7,238

    Default

    ^^ Aw how sweet cynic!

  13. #13
    Elite Member Sarzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    13,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ^^someone who knows more about foxes than I do said that it was not good to feed them....I was told that, unlike a lot of animals, they will lose the ability to hunt for themselves once they are fed.....?.....but I have noticed them eating the peanuts I put out for the birds, so I'm guilty of it, too.....

    ...have you ever heard them feeding their kits at night?.....the first time I heard the young ones, I thought someone was killing women in the woods....they are terrifying to hear.....loud, high-pitched screams.....I haven't seen the young ones, mom keeps them well hidden......
    I think it's ok to feed them as long as you don't give them too much and that they don't rely on you. I often see them chasing after the birds, so they know what they're meant to be catching lol! They're town foxes so a lot of the food they find is scraps from the bins, food which people have left out for the birds etc. But I guess if you're talking about foxes out in the country where they have plenty of animals to kill for food then it is wiser not to start feeding them. Yeah they do love peanuts.
    I know, the screams are horrible! It does sound like someone is being attacked.
    Last edited by Sarzy; March 19th, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The barrow-load of orphaned baby orang-utans
    By Honey in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: October 15th, 2008, 01:24 AM
  2. Bulldog rescues bag of kittens thrown in river
    By Rondette in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: August 5th, 2008, 08:09 PM
  3. Janice Dickinson strips to save animals, hurts humans
    By Born In A Brothel in forum Gossip Archive
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: August 22nd, 2007, 01:38 AM
  4. Orang-utan goes on rampage at zoo restaurant
    By TheMoog in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 10th, 2007, 01:18 AM
  5. Whale swims up River Thames
    By Rogue in forum News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 22nd, 2006, 09:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •