Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two dogs die in Iditarod race

Default Two dogs die in Iditarod race

Mackey holds lead in Iditarod; 2 more sled dogs die

(03-17) 09:20 PDT ELIM, Alaska (AP) --
    A third championship seems almost certain for Lance Mackey in the 1,100-mile Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race.
    The two-time winner reached the Elim (EE'-lum) checkpoint at 4:20 a.m. Tuesday, putting him 123 miles from the Nome finish line.
    But the race was marred by the deaths of two more dogs. Race officials say tests will be done to determine the cause of death.
    The dogs were on the team of rookie Lou Packer, of Wasilla. He who was found Monday 22 miles past the Iditarod checkpoint by searchers in a plane. A dog on musher Jeff Holt's team died last week.
    Sixty-seven teams began the race nine days ago in Willow north of Anchorage. Eight mushers have either scratched or been withdrawn.
    This version corrects the location where the dead dogs were found.)

I hate the way these dogs are used for racing. I know they say it's in their blood and all, but it's such a waste to me.

RIP!

^^their arguments about the dogs loving to "run themselves to death" remind me of the pageant moms saying their 2 year old daughers "love to compete"......

nah, the dogs DO love it but like any organism can push themselves way beyond their limits.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^....yah, but a good owner should be responsible enough to stop the dog before they run so far their feet shred up......but, that drive for the winning trophy overrides their love of their dogs.....

their feet don't shred, their hearts give out
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I can promise those dogs love it. The scariest thing I have EVER done was ride in a dogsled. Worse than a roller coaster. You are close,close to the ground and those dogs are going hell bent for leather-you'd think they were chased by a monster. Barking and all but doggy-laughing. They were like "Yeaa!!" and I was like "Our Father who art in....." That sled was slipping and sliding all over the frozen stuff. Never again!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Oh jeez, the dogs wouldn't run 1100 miles on their own, all at once in life-threatening conditions if not pushed to do it. There's a reason why some called this race the "I Killed a Dog."
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I have two sled dogs, one a purebred Siberian (actually she is my Mom's). I can tell you they are made to run, run, run and will do so until they drop. The dogs are usually so excited to get started in these races you can hardly contain them. However, it is up to the humans who have dominion over them to look out for the best interests of the animal and not just the finish line. I mean, most dogs would love to eat chocolate all day too, but we don't let them because it is harmful.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I can promise those dogs love it. The scariest thing I have EVER done was ride in a dogsled. Worse than a roller coaster. You are close,close to the ground and those dogs are going hell bent for leather-you'd think they were chased by a monster. Barking and all but doggy-laughing. They were like "Yeaa!!" and I was like "Our Father who art in....." That sled was slipping and sliding all over the frozen stuff. Never again!
    Same thing happened to me!! I thought a sled ride would be 'nice'.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by KandyKorn View Post
    Same thing happened to me!! I thought a sled ride would be 'nice'.
    Me,too! My sled was driven by an Alute Indian who just was having a nice run. I thought the blanket toss looked dangerous! It just doesn't LOOK like anything scary! OMG!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

This isn't the same guy that was beating his dogs last year, is it? Fuckers.

Wasilla...it figures.

Poor doggies.

Sad

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

Poor dogs. I do agree that the dogs want to run they aren't being forced to do it. I also agree that the owner's should (and in most cases probably do) restrain the dogs to prevent injury.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information