Thread: Zookeeper gives a relaxing foot massage... to a lion

Default Zookeeper gives a relaxing foot massage... to a lion

Most people shy away from giving their partner a foot massage let alone dishing one out to a 250kilogram killing machine.
    But British zookeeper Alex Larenty is made of sterner stuff and has no qualms about gently rubbing the paws of a lion under his care.
    The 50-year-old regularly treats Jamu to a foot massage and these pictures make it clear the eight-year-old lion is appreciative.
    Rolling around like a kitten, Jamu appears to be having the time of his life.

Foot master: British zookeeper Alex Larenty gives Jamu the lion a relaxing massage

The shots were taken at The Lion Park, near Johannesburg, South Africa, just weeks before a man who broke into the reserve was mauled and killed.
    Mr Larenty, who is originally from Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, said the animal has complete trust in him.
    He said: 'The photographs demonstrate how much at ease he is with me.
    'Trust me, though, you need to know what you are doing and our relationship is one that has built up over the last six years. Jamu won't just let anyone touch him the way I do.
    'We have 75 lions here at the park and I know everyone by name, Jamu is a star in his own right though.
    'While these lions know me and they are tame in some way, they are still dangerous to people they don't know or in situations they are unsure about.'

Best of friends: Mr Larenty hugs Jamu, who he says has complete trust in him
    Mr Larenty revealed that tragically a local a man was killed a few weeks ago after breaking into the park while trying to fulfil a tribal right of passage.
    He said: 'The man broke into the park because he was told by his tribal elders that he must walk with lions to prove himself.
    'He broke through three fences and walked 150 yards into the park before the lions got him, I found two of them sitting on top of the body the next day.
    'It shows that even lions who are not fully wild can still be a real threat if they are not used to you or they don't know you.'

Father-of-two Mr Larenty said he and Jamu had worked together on several wildlife films recreating 'wild' behaviour.
    He said: 'Often filmakers want to use Jamu for the shots which they just can't get in the wild and that is where his training comes in.
    'People in Britain might recognise Jamu from the TV show Wild At Heart on ITV which he is a regular on.'

Pictured: A brave British zookeeper gives a relaxing foot massage... to a LION | Mail Online

bagsy the first pic as my avi!

Too cute.

A*O

Aesops's Fable : Androcles And The Lion

A slave named Androcles once escaped from his master and fled to the forest. As he was wandering about there he came upon a Lion lying down moaning and groaning. At first he turned to flee, but finding that the Lion did not pursue him, he turned back and went up to him. As he came near, the Lion put out his paw, which was all swollen and bleeding, and Androcles found that a huge thorn had got into it, and was causing all the pain. He pulled out the thorn and bound up the paw of the Lion, who was soon able to rise and lick the hand of Androcles like a dog. Then the Lion took Androcles to his cave, and every day used to bring him meat from which to live. But shortly afterwards both Androcles and the Lion were captured, and the slave was sentenced to be thrown to the Lion, after the latter had been kept without food for several days. The Emperor and all his Court came to see the spectacle, and Androcles was led out into the middle of the arena. Soon the Lion was let loose from his den, and rushed bounding and roaring towards his victim. But as soon as he came near to Androcles he recognised his friend, and fawned upon him, and licked his hands like a friendly dog. The Emperor, surprised at this, summoned Androcles to him, who told him the whole story. Whereupon the slave was pardoned and freed, and the Lion let loose to his native forest.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I know they are dangerous,but that is just so cute!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love it. I want to hug one like that.

....why does the name Steve Irwin come to mind?.......

Quote Originally Posted by cynic View Post
    ....why does the name Steve Irwin come to mind?.......

He is one brave man! If you have ever seen a lion IRL even from a distance
    they are one aggressive looking animal...

Thread Information