Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police in Connecticut shoot chimp after it attacks woman

Default Police in Connecticut shoot chimp after it attacks woman

Police in Conn. shoot chimp after it attacks woman

A 200-pound chimpanzee kept as a pet and once used in commercials was shot and killed by police Monday after it mauled a woman visiting its owner and later cornered an officer in his cruiser, authorities said.
    Stamford police Lt. Richard Conklin said the injured woman was hospitalized late Monday in "very serious" condition at Stamford Hospital; her identity was not immediately released. Conklin said she suffered "a tremendous loss of blood" from serious facial injuries.
    The 15-year-old chimpanzee's owner and two officers also were hurt, though police said the extent of their injuries was not immediately known.
    Police said they had no idea why the chimpanzee, named Travis, attacked the woman as she got out of her car to visit the animal's owner, Sandra Herold. Conklin said Herold wrestled with the animal, then ran inside to call 911.
    "She retrieved a large butcher knife and stabbed her longtime pet numerous times in an effort to save her friend, who was really being brutally attacked," Conklin said.
    Travis ran away and started roaming on Herold's property as police arrived. Officers set up security so medics could reach the critically injured woman lying on the ground, Conklin said.
    As the woman was treated, the chimpanzee went after several of the officers, who retreated into their cars, Conklin said. Travis opened the door to one cruiser and started to get in, trapping an officer who then shot the chimpanzee several times, Conklin said.
    The wounded chimpanzee fled. Conklin said police followed the trail of his blood down the driveway, into the open door of the home, through the house and to his living quarters, where he had retreated and died of his wounds.
    Well-known around Stamford because he rode around in trucks belonging to his owners' towing company, Travis appeared on TV commercials for Old Navy and Coca-Cola when he was younger, made an appearance on the "Maury Povich Show" and took part in a television pilot, according to a 2003 story in The Advocate newspaper of Stamford.
    "He's been raised almost like a child by this family," Conklin said Monday. "He rides in a car every day, he opens doors, he's a very unique animal in that aspect. We have no indication of what provoked this behavior at all."
    A message seeking comment was left Monday night at Herold's home.
    Conklin said the chimp has been ill from Lyme disease, "so maybe from the medications he was out of sorts. We really don't know."
    Police have dealt with the animal in the past, including an incident in 2003 when he escaped from his owners' vehicle in downtown Stamford for two hours. Officers used cookies, macadamia treats and ice cream in an attempt to lure him, but subdued him only after he became too tired to resist.
    At the time of the 2003 incident, police said the Herolds told them the chimpanzee was toilet trained, dressed himself, took his own bath, ate at the table and drank wine from a stemmed glass. He also brushed his teeth using a Water Pik, logged onto the computer to look at pictures, and watched television using the remote control, police said.

uh, it's a chimp. It's wild. It's one step away from the fucking jungle. It's like keeping a damn tiger in your house.

a 200 lb chimp is HIDEOUSLY strong. They could break a similarly heavy man in half.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

These people are idiots. Chimps are not pets. When will people get this through their thick skulls. Poor animal, always the one that pays the price.

uh, well the chimp at that bitch who's face he ate.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

A*O

Update: Today's morning news in Oz says the owner and the chimp were in a steady relationship and the chimp was jellus when another woman tried to steal his mate.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

ewwwww she was fucking it?

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Update: Today's morning news in Oz says the owner and the chimp were in a steady relationship and the chimp was jellus when another woman tried to steal his mate.
    WHAT THE HELL!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    ewwwww she was fucking it?

Maybe times got hard for her in the looks department and the only male who showed her mercy, just happened to be animal.

Other than that, I have no idea.

EDIT: The picture proved me right.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

fgg

it was definitely a sick relationship:

IT'S ANIMAL ATTRACTION

WEIRD JUNGLE LOVE BEHIND CHIMP TRAGEDY

Click for photo gallery

Travis, at 10-years-old, with owner Sandra Herold in 2002.

Last updated: 3:54 pm
    February 19, 2009
    Posted: 2:24 am
    February 19, 2009

She fed him filet mignon and lobster tails. They shared cozy glasses of wine. They bathed and slept together. He tenderly brushed her hair. She gave him gifts and sweet kisses. He drew her pictures.

But this was no ordinary affair of the heart. Sandra Herold was engaging in these loving acts with a 200-pound pet ape.

Herold's human friends said they were always leery of the interspecies intimacy.

If you love a simian, set them free, some tried to tell her - long before Travis went bananas Monday and mauled and mangled Herold's 55-year-old friend Charla Nash.

"It's just weird," one friend said. "It's an animal, not a person. What she had with that monkey was not normal."

It is not uncommon for people to replace the affection of a departed loved one with that of an animal, experts say.
    Travis became both a surrogate child and spouse, following the deaths of her daughter in a car accident several years ago and her husband five years ago, friends and psychologists said.

Even if there was no monkey-panky, pals say they were intimate.
    "In popular culture, chimpanzees are used as a kind of parody of human behavior - and it seems that this animal became almost a parody of her relationship with her husband," said Howard Welsh, a professor of clinical psychiatry at NYU.

"At the same time, this woman was depriving this animal of a whole world. She made this world for the chimp simply her. He was a chimp in a gilded cage."

Travis lived his entire life in Herold's habitat. In his younger days, he appeared in commercials, including spots for Old Navy and Coca-Cola, but mostly he was hers and hers alone.

He worshipped her, friends said. Travis would make crayon drawings and proudly hand them to Herold.

"I put them on the refrigerator for him," the shaken woman said on NBC yesterday.

Herold said she has nothing left now that her daughter, her husband and the animal she raised from the age of 3 weeks are gone.
    "I'm, like, hollow now," she told CBS. "He slept with me every night. He combed my hair. Everything in the house is for him."

Herold would frequently tell those who questioned her devotion to Travis that they simply did not understand.

"Until you've . . . eaten with a chimp and bathed with a chimp, you don't know a chimp," she said.

The events leading up to the vicious attack are still unclear.
    According to police, Herold said Travis had been agitated during the day and she slipped some unprescribed Xanax to calm him down - a claim on which she has wavered. Tuesday, she said he refused the drug, but yesterday morning she said she provided the drug only five minutes prior to the attack, and stressed that it "wouldn't have had time to kick in."

Herold insisted that Travis was never violent.

She contends Travis was being protective of her when he attacked Nash, who she said was driving a different car, wearing a new hairstyle and playfully shook an Elmo stuffed toy in front of her face as a present to the chimp.

"She had the toy in front of her. This was just a freak thing," Herold said.

"It was the most horrible thing that could ever happen," she said. "For me to do something like that - put a knife in him - was like putting one in myself. Then he turned around and was like, 'Mom, what did you do?' "

Police have said they are looking into the possibility of criminal charges. A pet owner can be held criminally responsible if he or she knew or should have known that an animal was a danger to others.
    Nash was in critical condition in Stamford Hospital yesterday. Doctors said she has made slight progress after undergoing more than seven hours of surgery Monday to stabilize her.

So, the chimp was pissed that she was...around or with someone else and lost it? Chris Brown..anyone?

Just heard that the friend lost both eyes, her nose and her jaw. Not to mention the damage to her hands.

Did you guys hear the 911 call? It's crazy! YouTube - Chimp Attack 911 Call
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Remember the guy out here. He was visiting his chimp at a sanctuary and two other chips attacked him....it's nasty....here's a link.

Worst Chimpanzee Attack Story Every - Moe the Chimp Owner Attacked - Esquire

It's a long article, but on page three, there are pictures of what St. James Davis looks like. The description of what happened to him is horrific.

A*O

Wow - that Esquire story is horrific. Sorry to say this but I think the poor guy would probably have been better off dead after those terrible injuries.

I did laugh (a bit) when the woman tried to stop the attack by saying "Stop! Sit!"
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

man, why the fuck isn't it illegal everywhere to have chimps as pets? They can be aggressive as hell and unpredictable---that should be common knowledge. (And stop using them as entertainment while we're at it).
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information