Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help! My dog has been throwing up

Default Help! My dog has been throwing up

I will obviously be making a vet appointment tomorrow but I wanted to know if anyone has had a dog with similar symptoms.

For the past three days my eight year old pug/shih-tzu mix has been vomiting off and on. At first it was just after he ate. It was the regular dog food he has been eating for months. I just thought maybe he ate too fast or something.

But he hasn't eaten anything at all today, and is vomiting up what I believe is stomach bile. He has thrown up four times today and seems a bit lethargic.

I really hope it isn't serious. I love my dog to death but we can't afford a ton of blood tests or anything else right now.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Don't stress out until you see the vet. My dog throws up quite abit when its hot, for some reason. He also gulps his food down, and than can cause humans to vomit too. But the worst was when he threw up one afternoon after going for a walk, then threw up his dinner that night (which he never had a problem keeping down before). Threw up during the night, and then my brother gave him food in the morning (not knowing he had a queasy stomach) and fair enough, he threw that up too. He went outside and kept throwing up, we joked he had bulimia. Turns out he'd drank some water in the park, from a lake we have there, and it made him sick. I was worried too because I didn't think abit of water could make him throw up that much, but the vet said it was fine. Like humans, when we've had a vomiting bug, it might take awhile to start eating all foods again.

I hope he's fine though. Good luck, and best wishes

My big concern is that he isn't drinking any water. I just don't want him to be dehydrated.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Could be a lot of different things:

- Stomach virus
    - Food poisoning
    - Parasites
    - Swallowed an object
    - An obstruction

I hope it's something easy like the stomach virus. It's going around humans right now in my area. It's important that he stay hydrated - if he continues to throw up the vet may put him on IV fluids and keep him.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    My big concern is that he isn't drinking any water. I just don't want him to be dehydrated.
    He's just not interested in the water bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by DitaPage* View Post
    He's just not interested in the water bowl?

No, I have been home all day, sick as well, and I haven't seen him go near the water bowl.

Is he panting or showing signs of dehydration?
    Last edited by DitaPage*; January 28th, 2009 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DitaPage* View Post
    Is he panting or showing signs of dehydration?
    No, Spanky is just being very quiet today, sleeping a lot and seems lethargic. He just has never really been sick before, so of course it's like I am freaking out.

I am sorry about your dog's illness. I have given my dog water using a syringe when he was sick before, to keep him hydrated. But if your dog does have an obstruction, that might not be a good idea...

Good luck. Let us know what the vet says tomorrow.

Well, like others have said, it could be anything. Try to get him to eat icecubes if you can. Or squirt some water down his throat.

Josie threw up every morning for three days in a row. It ended up being nothing.

Fingers crossed for nothing serious

I agree on trying to keep her hydrated. I once had to do this with a cat who was sick. Please let us know how your baby is doing.

Petunia Pearl

1Give the dog a tsp. or two of Pepto Bismol. If your dog refuses the liquid form, try a chewable tablet.
    Step2
    Put the dog on a bland diet. Boil some chicken breast without the skin. Cut it into small pieces and mix it with brown rice. Only give the dog a couple of Tbsp. at a time.
    Step3
    Keep her drinking. It is important that your dog drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration. If she is having trouble keeping water down, try giving her ice cubes or ice chips to suck on. To test for dehydration, pinch a small amount of the dog's skin and watch how it responds when you release it. If the skin is slow returning to normal position, she is starting to dehydrate and needs emergency care.
    Step4
    Collect a stool sample and a sample of the vomit to bring with you to the vet's office. Keep the samples in the refrigerator to keep them fresh.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Elite Member

Anglais, dont wait until tomorrow. When an animal as stomach driven as a dog is on a hunger strike and not drinking, as well as sleeping all day, its time to go to the vet. Especially with a little dog who doesnt have much body mass to call on. And yes, there's going to be a bill....No avoiding it. Sorry your baby isnt doing well.

Oh no, I am sorry I have no advise, but I really do feel for you.
    I hope all is well. Please keep us posted.

~Saying a prayer for your little friend.~

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I'm sorry to hear this and I know how scary it is, believe me. To keep him hydrated I strongly recommend Gatorade or Pedialite given to him via a big syringe like a turkey baster. If he's eating dry food, try some canned(for the moisture).

Dogs do get sick like we do. They get bugs and they can get constipated like we do. He may have eaten something outside that didn't agree with him . You are right to go to the vet, but I would try hydrating him with Gatorade in the meantime. Also, scramble some eggs for him b/c they are really digestible.

Keep us posted!
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information