Thread: Puppy mill raided in Washington

Unhappy Puppy mill raided in Washington

Officers raid puppy mill, 'astounded' by filth

One of the rescued dogs peers from his new cage at the Everett animal shelter.

YouNews™

Story Published: Jan 18, 2009 at 1:29 PM PST
    Story Updated: Jan 19, 2009 at 7:13 AM PST

By KOMO Staff

Watch the story
    Warning: Story contains graphic material.
    GOLD BAR, Wash. - Officers rescued 155 dogs and several other animals found living under ghastly conditions in a puppy mill operation so horrific that it shocked even veteran animal control officers, officials said. A citizen's tip led officials to the residence, in the 43000 block of May Creek Rd in Gold Bar.

Photo shows exterior of the residence where the puppy mill operation was found.After obtaining a search warrant, deputies and officers raided the property, where they found many of the dogs stuffed inside small crates and pens overflowing with urine and feces, investigators said. Several dead puppies also were found in a freezer, and two dead dogs were found elsewhere on the premises. Eighty-seven of the dogs were living in a converted attic.
    Adult dogs and puppies were found living in crates and small pens filled with large accumulations of feces and heavily soiled shavings, said Vicki Lubrin of Snohomish County Animal Control Services.
    Officers said the odor from the feces and urine was so overpowering it could be detected well outside the residence. A large commercial dumpster stood in the yard overflowing with dog waste.
    Medications and used syringes, used to treat sick animals, were found scattered in front of pens and in a refrigerator.
    Most of the dogs were heavily matted, covered with their own feces and saturated with urine. Investigators said many dogs had open sores on various parts of their bodies and all were covered with fleas. Several dogs had tumors and other abnormal body conditions.
    Officers found a variety of small breed dogs: Yorkshire terriers, rat terriers, West Highland terriers, Chinese crested, pugs, dachshunds, Pekingese and mixed breeds sold as "designer dogs."
    Also found were six large dogs - a Labrador and Doberman tightly squeezed together in one crate, a Rottweiler, a mastiff and two boxers.
    Altogether, officials found 155 dogs, four cats and three parrots - all living in inhumane conditions.
    "Even the most experienced officers on site were astounded by the size of this puppy mill operation and the filthy conditions in which the dogs were kept," Lubrin said in a statement.
    She said a detailed breeding plan was found posted on a wall inside the residence.
    Lubrin said puppy mill puppies are often sold to unsuspecting buyers with hereditary defects, chronic illnesses and disease. The females are bred over and over again, producing litter after litter of puppies until they either die or can no longer breed and are disposed of.
    The facility was operating in violation of Snohomish County commercial kennel regulations, Lubrin said.
    All of the animals were removed for care and feeding and a veterinary medical assessment. The dogs, cats and birds are being cared for at the Everett Animal Shelter.
    The final disposition of the animals is not known at this time, Lubrin said. The investigation continues and will be referred to the Snohomish County Prosecutor’s Office for review. No arrests have been made at this time.
    The rescue operation was a joint effort by Snohomish County Animal Control Services and Snohomish County sheriff’s deputies on Friday night. Lubrin said the cost of seizing and treating the animals rescued from these conditions severely impacts the budgets of all responding agencies. She said anyone wishing to donate dog food or money for medical expenses to the Everett Animal Shelter’s nonprofit agency, ARF (Animal Rescue Foundation), may do so by calling 425-257-6000 or coming to the shelter in person at 2732 36th St., Everett.

Officers raid puppy mill, 'astounded' by filth | KOMO News - Seattle, Washington | News
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Silver Member

Angry

poor little pug

i guess panda is on her way to washington state

they're always shocked by the conditions in puppymills. is there some kind of happy rainbow fluffy cloud puppymill they see regularely or something?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    they're always shocked by the conditions in puppymills. is there some kind of happy rainbow fluffy cloud puppymill they see regularely or something?
    Seriously. Why can't we just fucking outlaw "puppy mills" altogether? Only small-scale individual breeders should be allowed.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

from my understanding puppymills ARE illegal.. but they hide in barns, basements, etc
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

nope puppy mills ARENT illegal. i remember Oprah did a story on them, and in PA they are NOT illegal! can you fucking believe it?
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

In Ohio were the Amish are alive and well with their puppy mill businesses. There is ONE person to go around and check on homes and businesses that breed animals..that have complaints filed against them- ONE. My vet told me that. Any wonder nothing changes.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Adopt, adopt, ADOPT.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Angry

I would love to rip these bastard's faces off!
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

That dog's eyes break my heart. I have adopted and spoiled the hell out of three cats now I guess I need a doggy too.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

I only found out this week, watching "dogtown" they aren't even illegal! WTF!? Can Obama do something about this please?

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda View Post
    In Ohio were the Amish are alive and well with their puppy mill businesses. There is ONE person to go around and check on homes and businesses that breed animals..that have complaints filed against them- ONE. My vet told me that. Any wonder nothing changes.
    Yep. People might be shocked to know that the Amish are some of the biggest puppy mill offenders. Sorry folks, but they're not just the plain, humble folks portrayed in the movie Witness. Fuck their pretty quilts and hand-made furniture. Don't support them by purchasing any of it! They view dogs as livestock, raised only for profit.

The United States Department of Agriculture (yep, the USDA which is also responsible for grading the meat that's in your grocery store) is in charge of licensing dog breeders. And they barely have time to police the ones with valid licenses, much less the ones who don't.

It's a sick, sordid mess.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

OMG a Pug! that is making me seriously cry! How in the world could anyone be cruel to an animal? I often wander where my Pug came from. She was left at a shelter around 1 year of age and thank goodness a rescue group got her out and found us to provide a great home!

Petunia Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by HelpMeRhonda View Post
    Maybe they could accept volunteers to help check these places out.

Petunia Pearl

Thread Information