Thread: The dalmatian who gave birth to a litter of eighteen pups

Default The dalmatian who gave birth to a litter of eighteen pups

She hasn't quite expanded her family to 101, but Button has still produced a pretty impressive number of little dalmatians.
    The three-year-old dog has given birth to a litter of 18, just a year after having 16 pups.
    Her litter is thought to be the largest born to a dalmatian in the UK. The average is about eight or nine.

Button's bumper litter: Her 18 pups jostle for a feed

Button's father was in the Disney film 102 Dalmatians and the acting talent appears to run in the family.
    Two of the pups from her first set already have TV contracts, with one appearing in Taggart.
    For the moment, though, all Button's time is taken up with the 18 newborns. Her total brood is now 34.
    There are so many pups she needs the assistance of owners Adam and Nicola Morley, and their three sons, to feed them.
    Button and the Morleys work in shifts 24-hours a day: Button feeds one group of pups, while the family feeds the other two, then an hour later they swap.

Button's litter is the largest ever born to a dalmatian in Britain and she has now had 34 pups

'We're bottle feeding them and it's very tiring, especially as I have to work, but it's also very nice,' said Mrs Morley, 31.
    'We thought she would have a standard size litter of eight or nine but we had a scan at the vets the day before and they said there were too many to count.
    'We were shocked when 18 were born and they were all alive and healthy.'
    Mr Morley, 40, added: 'We feed all the pups several times a day because Button can't feed them all constantly. We all take it in turns - mine's at 3 o'clock in the morning.'

Enlarge
    Give us a lift: One of the pups hitches a ride on the head of Thomas Morley, 7, while a sibling looks on and, right, he comes nose to nose with one of the 18-strong litter

Each pup weighed about 2lb when they were born by Cesarean section at the Chine House Veterinary Hospital in Sileby.
    Veterinarian Con Hassett, who performed the operation, said: 'I delivered all 18 puppies in about nine to 12 minutes as the surgery itself is reasonably straightforward, but it's the aftercare that's harder. We had to have five or six nurses there to revive and tend to the puppies afterwards.'
    'I never heard of any breed of dog giving birth to 18. The real miracle is that they've survived this long because it's so hard to rear that many pups.'
    British Dalmatian Club chairman Pat Wilson added a litter of 18 was very rare. 'I bred Dalmatians for 25 years and my largest litter ever was 11,' she said.
    Despite the round-the-clock care, the Morleys, from Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire, won't have to keep it up for long as they only plan to keep one puppy.
    The rest will be sold or give to family and friends who had dalmatians from the previous litter.
    'We will have to sell some as the cost of looking after the pups is astronomical,' said Mrs Morley.

Acting pedigree: Stars of the 1996 Walt Disney film 101 Dalmations. Button is the daughter of one of the dogs who appeared in the sequel 102 Dalmations

Pictured: The dalmatian who gave birth to a bumper litter of EIGHTEEN pups | Mail Online

Silver Member

Cool

sweet , tired button

i hope she gets "fixed"

I saw this on the Today show. The puppies are so cute! I just hope Cruella does not find out about them.
    Life is what happens to you
    While you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

Enough puppies! Poor Mama Doggy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It's a Duggar dog! 18 Pups and Counting.

Poor Button looks exhausted. There's enough dogs and pups in the world without one dog churning out 34. Time for Button to get spayed and enjoy retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Poor Button looks exhausted. There's enough dogs and pups in the world without one dog churning out 34. Time for Button to get spayed and enjoy retirement.
    Yes, Button has done more than enough. Poor, cute puppy!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    It's a Duggar dog! 18 Pups and Counting.

Petunia Pearl

18? That poor bitch!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

She looks exhausted!

She looks so tired, but happy...and why isn't this dog neutered?

An update on the pups

The owner of the world's largest ever litter of Dalmatian pups had his work cut out when he took all 18 of them for a walk in the park.
    The playful pups left Adam Morley well and truly tangled up as each was determined to explore every possible inch of the outside world.
    It was the last time the spotty siblings spent the day together before they were split up and sent to new homes across the country.

Mr Morley described the logistics of walking so many pups as 'a nightmare'.

Enlarge Adam Morley gets in a tangle as he takes all 18 of his Dalmatian puppies for a walk

Strike a pose: The inquisitive puppies have now been given new homes around the country

'I may as well have been walking 101 Dalmatians. Most of the dogs wanted to walk in different directions, while some of them just sat down and wouldn't budge.
    'I got in a terrible tangle. It was like being in the middle of a spotty blizzard.'
    One of the puppies with seven-year-old Thomas Morley just after the birth of the record-breaking litter

The puppies, who are now 11 weeks old, were born to record-breaking mother Button, aged three.

Mr Morley, 40, and wife Nicola, of Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire, have kept just two of the litter for themselves - Red Boy and Rudolph.
    Mrs Morley, 31, said all 18 had been hand-reared for the first month of their lives and

She said: 'We were really sorry to see them go. We do miss them and I cried when they left.
    'It was like handing over lots of babies because we hand-reared them for the first four weeks.
    'It has been an amazing experience, but very tiring. The house seems really quiet now.'
    Button, whose father was in the film 102 Dalmatians, broke the world record in December when she gave birth to her brood of 18, just a year after having a litter of 15 pups.
    The average litter produces eight or nine puppies.

Each one of Button's babies weighed about 2lb and a 24-hour feeding rota had to be drawn up, with the Morleys' three sons pitching in to help.
    'We've made sure they've had the best start in life,' said Mrs Morley.
    'We took them for a thorough health check when they were 24 hours old and seven weeks old and they've all been properly weaned.

At home with the puppies: The Morley family hand-reared the puppies on a 24-hour rota

'They have all gone to loving family homes and we offer a contract stating that if there is any sort of problem they should be returned to us.
    'We also ask that the puppies are never put in kennels but come and stay with us if their owners go away, so we're bound to see them all again soon anyway.'
    The couple also took the pups for a hearing test at the Animal Health Trust in Newmarket, Suffolk, as Dalmatians are prone to hearing problems.
    Just one of the animals was found to be deaf in one ear.

Julia Freeman, a neurology technician who spent four hours testing the puppies, said: 'Dalmatians do have a genetic predisposition to deafness, so it's quite common to see litters of little spotty dogs in our hearing clinic.
    'We have found that one in five dalmatians is completely deaf in one or both ears, but just one single puppy of Button's 18 turned out to have hearing in only one ear - all the others were fine, which is a fantastic result.'
    'Congenital deafness can be a problem for any dog with a predominantly white coat, and we strongly advise breeders to get puppies, especially from those 'at risk' breeds such as the dalmatian, properly tested before they go off to their new homes.'

Spot the difference: Owner of world's biggest litter of Dalmatian pups takes all EIGHTEEN for walkies | Mail Online

Gorgeous pics

Thread Information