Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Neglected dog nursed back to life from brink of death

Default Neglected dog nursed back to life from brink of death

Covered in mange, suffering from severe malnutrition and with claws so long he couldn't walk Hobo was given just three days to live.
    Weighing 40lb, the neglected German Shepherd was in such a bad condition vets could only guess what breed he was.
    But Hobo has fought back and the 12-year-old now faces the new year with a spring in his paws happy in his new home with animal-lover owners Peter and Val Butcher.

This mange-riddled ball is Hobo after his arrival at the PDSA Pet Aid Hospital in Northampton. Weighing just 40lb, his condition was so bad vets could not tell what breed he was

This is Hobo now. His claws clipped, his coat groomed

How Hobo came to be dropped off at the PDSA Pet Aid Hospital in Northampton in such a terrible condition last summer remains unclear.
    Vets there wanted to put him down straight away, but gave him three days to see if he improved.
    Student vet nurse Ruth Bates, one of the first nurses to look after him, said: 'None of us thought he was going to make it but we thought we'd give him a few days.
    'It was really bad, I had never seen anything like that before and I have been in the veterinary practice for about six years.'
    She said the neglect must have been going on for months and months and months.
    Ms Bates said: 'We started by feeding him up, he was always happy to eat and that's what gave us hope.
    'We couldn't treat him for the mange straight away because he was just too weak for the chemicals but he soon got stronger.'
    Hobo was treated at the hospital for several weeks, until he came to the attention of the Butchers in July through local media.
    Mrs Butcher, a fan of the German Shepherd breed, said: 'I cried, his condition was so awful. For days I could only think of him.
    'We both wanted him and knew we would have the time, patience and love to help him recover.'
    Mr Butcher said: 'We do a lot of work with the RSPCA and we home dogs as well, so I phoned them up and arranged for us to take Hobo.
    'We got him on August 29 and that's what we class as his birthday now.'
    Hobo's new home on the couple's farm in Shillington, Bedfordshire, has seen him move in with an array of other animals including ten dogs, ten alpacas, seven goats, 17 ponies, and 240 parrots.
    He has been on courses of antibiotics, skin treatments and painkillers and is now up to his maximum weight of 66lb.

Enlarge
    This is Val Butcher who nursed Hobo back to health. At this point the German Shepherd was still in the process of recovering and had not yet reached the level of health he enjoys today

The average weight of a German Shepherd Hobo's age is between 57 and 66lb.
    Mr Butcher said: 'At the moment he's in perfect health and perfect condition.
    'To be honest now we class him as a perfect dog. It's very rare that he's in the house, he just wanders about on the farm.
    'He is happy, perfect to train, all he wants to do is to please you.
    'He had never been trained before he came to us and now he does a perfect sit, a stay, he walks on the lead properly. I only ever have to tell him off once.
    'You would never know he's gone through everything that he has.'
    Mrs Butcher said Hobo still took medication for pain caused by arthritis and antibiotics for his skin but has made 'wonderful' progress.
    She said: 'Hobo enjoys life. He is so bright, he loves to help us and he loves to play.
    'Hobo is a special dog who has gone through hell but still loves and trusts people.
    'We love him to bits and know without a doubt that we are so lucky to have him.'
    The couple have even funded a prosecution of Hobo's former owner who has pleaded guilty to causing unnecessary suffering to a dog.
    Joy Battison, of Orchard Hill, Little Billing, Northants, is due to be sentenced in January at Northampton Magistrates Court.

Here's to Hobo! Neglected German Shepherd is nursed back to life from brink of death | Mail Online

Seeing that first pic of Hobo brought tears to my eyes.

I'm glad he's doing well with such loving owners. He's so beautiful.
    Rock the fuck on!

I don't know how he even lived-that poor darling. He looks so happy now.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Poor sweetheart. How could anyone let an animal get into such a state?He looks so healthy and happy now though, I hope he lives for many more years and enjoys his new life. He deserves it.

I could kill the people that did that to him with my bare hands. That poor baby. His new owners and the vet are wonderful. I would love to give Hobo lots of kisses and treats.

smf

wow i cant believe thats the same dog ,its awsome hes getting a 2nd chance

what a difference!! i'm so glad that they took a chance on him and saved him!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

SVZ

thank god he recovered

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I could kill the people that did that to him with my bare hands. That poor baby. His new owners and the vet are wonderful. I would love to give Hobo lots of kisses and treats.
    me, too, Kris!

Shame on the person who starved this poor baby. I hope karma gets them. The pooch looks happy now.
    The day after Christmas my sister and her hubby found 4 puppies in the middle of a back road. They were pretty skinny. My sister and hubby got them in the car and took them home. they are the sweetest, friendliest pups. They couldn't stop eating the first couple of days. The pups are fine now. They found homes for two. Very good homes.My sis and hubby are keeping one and their son probably taking the last one. So now my sis has a Black lab, a Golden Retriever, shitzu and this new pup. And they will be spoiled.

gotta believe in angels, this lady is one.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Animals like this one, who have suffered atrocious abuse, are usually the
    sweetest, most grateful and most loyal pets one could own when they
    make it.
    HelpMeRhonda likes this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

I literally gasped when I saw the first picture. I do not know how anyone could sit down and eat their dinner at night knowing their animal is starving,and hasn't eaten in days. People make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_On_TheWall View Post
    Shame on the person who starved this poor baby. I hope karma gets them. The pooch looks happy now.
    The day after Christmas my sister and her hubby found 4 puppies in the middle of a back road. They were pretty skinny. My sister and hubby got them in the car and took them home. they are the sweetest, friendliest pups. They couldn't stop eating the first couple of days. The pups are fine now. They found homes for two. Very good homes.My sis and hubby are keeping one and their son probably taking the last one. So now my sis has a Black lab, a Golden Retriever, shitzu and this new pup. And they will be spoiled.
    That's so great of your family to care for the puppies!!!Sounds like your sister has her hands full, but I bet she loves it though!

Bronze Member

So, you believe in Karma, and hope harm upon others... what a blind hypocrite. There is no karma, mindless things don't know how to punish or reward, it's because of babbling hypocrites like you that the world is full of suffering and neglected children. Stop spreading false religion and myths. All will bow down to God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information