Thread: Theo, the puppy dumped at a rehoming centre on Christmas Day

Unhappy Theo, the puppy dumped at a rehoming centre on Christmas Day

A Labrador puppy was the first to be handed into a rehoming centre this festive season.
    Theo, a 10-week-old pup, was handed in on Christmas Day to the West Calder Rehoming Centre in West Lothian, Scotland, the Dogs Trust said.
    Trust bosses say it is 'unusual' for a dog to be handed in on Christmas Day itself.
    'It is tragic that dogs are still being bought as Christmas gifts then abandoned so quickly,' said Susan Tonner, rehoming centre manager at Dogs Trust, West Calder.

Theo, the 10-week old Labrador, was handed in to a dog home in Scotland on Christmas Day as an unwanted pet

'People give such little thought to the time and effort that is needed in looking after a dog.
    'Puppies in particular are very time consuming and need a lot of attention in their first few months.'
    The Trust says Theo's owners had bought him as a present to themselves but could not look after him.
    As he is so young, members of the centre staff will take him home with them over the Christmas period so he doesn't get too scared.
    Thirty years on from the birth of its famous 'A dog is for life, not just for Christmas' message, the Trust fears the message is failing to get through.
    'Christmas is the worst possible environment into which to bring a new animal,' Ms Tonner added.
    'New pets need a gentle introduction to the family, to be allowed peace and quiet, and gentle handling.'
    The charity's 17 rehoming centres will stop rehoming dogs until Friday January 2 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland to prevent people buying dogs as Christmas presents. This will apply until January 3 in Scotland.
    People will still be able to visit the centres and reserve a dog, but will not be able to take their new pet home until the New Year.

Is this the saddest dog in Britain? Theo, the puppy dumped at a rehoming centre on Christmas Day | Mail Online

Oh my goodness. He can come stay at my house.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Theo's story will have a happy ending. Wish the same could be said for most of the other abandoned pets.

Oh god!! Theo looks like my sweet Josie when she was a baby....heartbreaking.

Silver Member

i stay a few nmiles away from west calder and when i read about this i considered going up and getting him as hes adorable
    but he would grow too big and im not sure my barney would welcome another male dog in the house

Poor thing. I'm sure he'll find a loving home soon though, he's so adorable.

I can't believe the way some people act. My dog is nearly 17 and costs a small fortune in prescriptions every month from the vet, but I would never, ever abandon her. I simply can't understand why people would do that.

Furthermore, a lot of people simply dump unwanted pets somewhere rather than handing them in to shelters. It's such an awful thing to do.

^^is that your doggie in your avatar?? Very precious

My vet was telling me that ten years ago, they weren't seeing labs live past 10 - 12. Now he frequently sees 13 - 14 year old labs, even some that are 15 and 16.

Giving pets as a christmas present baffles me. That is such a personal decision that the whole family should make together. To me it's like handing someone a baby whether they want it or not.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    ^^is that your doggie in your avatar?? Very precious

My vet was telling me that ten years ago, they weren't seeing labs live past 10 - 12. Now he frequently sees 13 - 14 year old labs, even some that are 15 and 16.
    Thank you - that's her!!
    It's her birthday next week, so she'll be having a cake! I know, I'm a saddo.

It's great that larger dogs are living longer now. I think having a good vet really pays off. One of my friends had a collie that lived until he was 19, which is the longest I've ever heard for a dog!

KrisNine, your dog is gorgeous! He/she has such a glossy coat! I love the antlers in your avatar - were they a Christmas present?

^^Thank you She's a pretty girl. She just turned 10. Those antlers are from Christmas last year.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Dear God, I get so sick of myself getting all teary eyed at these threads just because they remind me that my big doggie is older and I swear, I just can't take the thought of losing him. It kills me. But, pain is the price we pay for love.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

should add its been in the news that theo was rehomed earlier in the week

oh, what a cute pooch!

i just have to say that i seriously love our pet & animal forum. we have the best posts & pictures in here.

Quote Originally Posted by scarlett View Post
    should add its been in the news that theo was rehomed earlier in the week
    awww, wonderful news. but, i just wish more people would see pets as a lifetime committment. it breaks my heart to hear about pets just dropped off at random places.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Thread Information