Thread: Many dinosaurs were stay-at-home dads

Default Many dinosaurs were stay-at-home dads

Fatherly care: Male dinosaurs sat on and incubated the eggs, scientists believe

Dinosaur dads played an active role in raising their young and often served as single parents, according to a study published Friday in the journal Science.
    The researchers examined bones belonging to eight different dinosaurs that were fossilized in "brooding postures" near clutches of eggs. None of them included medullary bone, a form of bone tissue found in female birds and some female dinosaurs that is mined for calcium when they lay eggs, the researchers reported.
    The team, led by paleontologist David J. Varricchio of Montana State University in Bozeman, also looked for signs that calcium or phosphorus had been leached from the bones -- a side effect of the egg-laying process -- and found none.
    One of the fossils, belonging to an adult Troodon formosus, was found "in direct contact with an egg clutch," the researchers wrote. Troodon egg clutches can be so large that experts have surmised the dinosaurs formed communal nests.
    The scientists investigated the role of dinosaur fathers because they suspected it was similar to that of their descendants -- modern birds. Males take on parental responsibilities in more than 90% of bird species, and in many cases they incubate and raise their chicks alone. (For the sake of comparison: In just 5% of mammalian species do males raise their young.)
    Dino daddies may have evolved as active parents because the moms were preoccupied with laying eggs, which were large and could only be produced one at a time, the researchers wrote. Additionally, since unhatched chicks needed so much heat to stay warm, the dads may have had little choice but to help out with incubation if they wanted their offspring to survive, according to the study.

Many dinosaurs were stay-at-home dads - Los Angeles Times

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    The scientists investigated the role of dinosaur fathers because they suspected it was similar to that of their descendants -- modern birds.
    i have a male goose who lets the female form the nest and lay the eggs but he is the one who sits on them.

Lazy bastards.

that's really a bizarre position to be fossilized in. It must have been a catastrophic event then that extincted them like many have said. Christ if yellowstone goes I will be found in front of the computer posting on gr...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    Lazy bastards.
    Pfft, if he did it, she would just honk that it was all wrong and redo it after shooing him off to eat worms with his buddies down by the pond.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Pfft, if he did it, she would just honk that it was all wrong and redo it after shooing him off to eat worms with his buddies down by the pond.
    LOL, so true!

We are painting our bathroom and my husband did too many obvious brushstrokes even though he was doing his best work. I had to kick him out so I could redo it and make it look better. That's a typical situation in our house. I don't know if I just do most things better or if he purposely does everything shitty so he can sit on the couch and watch TV instead.......

Thread Information