Thread: Sea turtles make a break for the sea

Default Sea turtles make a break for the sea

A sea turtle lays eggs at a beach in Ujung Genteng turtle conservation centre, West Java, Indonesia

A mother sea turtle covers her nest with sand after laying eggs at the beach

Conservation workers help protect a sea turtle nest straight away after a turtle laid eggs at a beach in Ujung Genteng turtle conservation centre.

The Indonesian government is tightening regulations and contacting countries where turtles and tortoises are being obtained or sold.

Sea turtle eggs at a beach in Ujung Genteng turtle conservation centre, West Java, Indonesia

Sea turtle hatchlings at a beach in Ujung Genteng turtle conservation centre, West Java, Indonesia. The Indonesian government has moved against rampant illegal trade in the threatened species

Sea turtle hatchlings make their way to the sea after being released by conservation workers

Sea turtle hatchlings make their way to the sea after being released by conservation workers at a beach in Ujung Genteng turtle conservation centre, West Java, Indonesia

The government's action follows revelations that more than half the species of freshwater turtles and tortoises being sold in Jakarta's markets are under threat and illegally obtained

Science&Tech | Mail Online

why make them crawl across the sand, just put them in a bucket and dump em in the kelp beds offshore where they spend their childhood
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Because they are mammals and need to be born in a place that they can draw breath. That is not to say that if conservationists are trying to increase the live hatch numbers that they should have someone to fend off the gulls and whatever other animals that prey on the hatchlings.

i've seen this on Animal Planet, its fascinating to watch
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

No, i mean they could simplyt collect them as they hatched, stuff them in a bucket, and once all hatched, drive out in a little boat to the kelp beds and release them there. That's where they're trying to get anyway.. they spend a year or 2 living in the kelp beds, hiding from predators and such.

Why make them walk the beach and expose them to gulls
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Grimm...not a bad idea. Do you scuba? We are big divers. But the hatchlings need to be on land/close to the suface when they hatch as they are exhausted when they break thru the shell.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    No, i mean they could simplyt collect them as they hatched, stuff them in a bucket, and once all hatched, drive out in a little boat to the kelp beds and release them there. That's where they're trying to get anyway.. they spend a year or 2 living in the kelp beds, hiding from predators and such.

Why make them walk the beach and expose them to gulls
    SmartAss Answer: Because then there'd be no cool photos of baby sea turtles making their little way to the water.

Nerdly Answer: For scientific research. There's a lot to learn from letting nature take its course. So many questions! How do the little guys work together/against each other to survive? Is it true that only the strong survive? Is it Darwinian, survival of the fittest, and all that? If you coddled all the baby sea turtles to the kelp beds, then inferior genes get passed on to the next generation.

Plus, maybe there's something to be learned from the patterns of behavior/movement/whatever. I forget what it's called, maybe I'm making it up, but I could almost swear that there's some sort of science or math based on patterns and studying/predicting them. I dunno...

ETA: I just love little baby sea turtles so much! There's such hope, such promise, when I see the little buggers hatching and struggling their way to the water! *dabs eyeball*

And yet... I do have to acknowledge that wee part of me that can't help wondering if they'd taste good fried up like you do soft-shelled crab. *blush*
    Bringin' up old shit since 1998.

Thread Information