Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs dumped because they didn't go with the sofa

Thumbs down Dogs dumped because they didn't go with the sofa

Dumped: Owners get rid of their dog because it's 'too old'

Pet owners have dumped their dogs because they did not match the furniture, an animal charity said yesterday.
    Others complained that the dog's different-coloured eyes made it look evil, said the Dogs Trust.
    One set of owners, trying to get rid of their pet because it was 'too old', asked staff at one of the Trust's rehoming centres for a younger model.
    The excuses were revealed as the Trust, the UK's largest dog welfare charity, listed the most irresponsible reasons people have given for abandoning dogs.
    The Trust, which 30 years ago coined the slogan 'A dog is for life, not just for Christmas', said one dog was given up after it ate the Christmas turkey, while another lost its home because it tore open its owners' presents on Christmas Eve.
    The Trust said that although the number of dogs given as Christmas presents has fallen over the past three decades, it is still more than 130,000 animals a year.
    In an effort to cut this further, the Trust's 17 centres will stop rehoming dogs over the holiday season.
    People will be able to visit and reserve a dog, but not take it home until the New Year.
    Trust chief executive Clarissa Baldwin said: 'Some of the reasons we hear for dogs being abandoned are truly outrageous and saddening.
    'Having a dog is a long-term commitment.'

Battersea Dogs and Cats Home said it almost reached capacity - for the first time - because of the high number of strays and lost animals brought in.
    It attributed the high number of strays to the credit crunch as well as new laws which have led to fewer owners being reunited with their lost dogs.
    Under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act, stray dogs were made the responsibility of local authorities whereas previously-they were taken to the police.
    This means many owners do not know where to find their lost dogs.
    It is also thought that many owners whose animals have strayed are not actively looking for them because of financial pressures.
    Jan Barlow, from the Battersea home, appealed for those who can no longer afford to look after their pets to contact Battersea or their local rescue centre.

The dogs dumped because they didn't go with the sofa | Mail Online

Elite Member

So stupid. So if I have a kid and it pisses on me or has a REALLY gross poop up the back kinda thing can I trade it in? What if it's ugly? I know it's not the same thing, but it's almost as heartless you CHOOSe the dog too you had a choice in what dog you got. I will admit that when my sister brought home our dog I was like she's ugly you should get a cuter one, and we've thought about giving her away (training issues) but we love her and never could.

Makes one's blood boil, doesn't it?

The worst comment anyone ever made to me when I asked if my nonprofit could get their puppy spayed was, "Oh, don't bother. When she's not cute anymore we'll take her to the shelter."

Makes you kinda wish we had spay/neuter laws for people, too.......

^^Kinda makes you wish you could just take people out back....

Morons!

None of those people deserved a dog anyway. Idiots!!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

We got our previous dog from a shelter where she had been dumped because she was "too big" (German shepherd/ Rough collie cross) When these people got their Christmas puppy, what on earth did they expect with that combination of breeds?
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Getting involved in animal rescue will lower one's opinion of people faster than most anything else.

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Getting involved in animal rescue will lower one's opinion of people faster than most anything else.
    So true. I volunteer with the SPCA and you wouldn't believe the stories we hear from people!

Our new location even has a "night deposit box" for people who want to get rid of their pets so they don't just leave them on the side of the road.

Quote Originally Posted by laynes View Post
    So true. I volunteer with the SPCA and you wouldn't believe the stories we hear from people!

Our new location even has a "night deposit box" for people who want to get rid of their pets so they don't just leave them on the side of the road.
    The night deposit box is a good idea - kind of like the baby drop-off. At least the animals aren't totally abandoned and are now forced to fend for themselves. That's just cruel. It's especially tough in these economic times - animals are just being left behind or tossed out. Breaks my heart.

The more I deal with animals, the less I like people.

I hope all these animals were placed in good, loving homes.
    I just don't understand people.

Angry

Pets are FOREVER, no matter what. They are not disposable.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

This makes my heart hurt. I am looking at local rescue groups and SPCA for my daughter's new pet. Pets are for life.
    Don't worry about what other people think. They don't do it very often.

This makes me so sad. I love my doggies so much I couldn't imagine being so heartless. What is wrong with people?
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

People suck!! We just donated a boatload of food to a local rescue for Christmas. I used to do work for rescues, but I couldn't after a while. Too heartbreaking.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Do all sizes of dogs get dropped in teh night deposit box? How about cats? I'd worry a little dog or cat could get killed in there.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information