Thread: Disabled boy gets to keep therapy pony

Thumbs up Disabled boy gets to keep therapy pony

Disabled boy can keep his pony, Caledon rules
    Posted: December 10, 2008, 2:13 PM by Rob Roberts

By Kate Scroggins, National Post
    A three-year-old disabled boy can keep his pony despite a neighbour’s complaints, Caledon’s committee of adjustment ruled today.

Committee members said the Spiteri family can keep the miniature pony, despite zoning rules prohibiting it, so long as they keep the pen clean.

Sam Spiteri has spastic quadriplegic cerebral palsy, and uses the pony, Emily, as part of his therapy regime.

The dispute wound up before the committee after a neighbour complained about the smell coming from the family’s property, which also borders a cattle farm.

‘‘Pure joy right now,’’ said Antonia Spiteri, Sam’s mother, said today. ‘‘It’s been an extremely stressful last couple of months. Now I can focus my energy back where it belongs — back on Sam’s therapy.’’

At the end of July, the town told the family they would have remove the pony from their one-acre property because it is zoned as rural residential land and isn’t meant to house livestock. Ms. Spiteri asked the council for an exception to let Sam keep his pony as a pet without rezoning their property.

Since the National Post and other media reported on the fight to keep Sam’s pony, Ms. Spiteri has received an outpouring of support from around the globe with some people even offering to help financially.

Caledon councillor Annette Groves told the Post that the boy should be allowed to keep the therapy pony.

“While you have to enforce the rules, there are times when you have to use discretion and have to remember that you’re a human being and have to have some compassion,” she said.

“That would be the case in the case.”
    Read the original story here: Town threatens to evict disabled boy’s pony

Photo of Sam and Antonia Spiteri and their pony Emily by Peter Redman, National Post
    Disabled boy can keep his pony, Caledon rules - Posted Toronto

A bit of info on therapeutic riding:
    Therapeutic horseback riding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Neighbour kid goes to TROtt ( Therapeutic Riding Association of Ottawa-Carleton Inc. ) and the results have been remarkable. He can walk without assistance now.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Yea, common sense!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member
    The Edge of the Annex

Thank god, decency reigned.

Thread Information