Thread: Cat's face re-attached by vet

Default Cat's face re-attached by vet

A cat's face was reattached by veterinarians in Boston after serious burns left the animal's face dangling off its head.

Edgar, a 4-year-old long-haired female cat, went missing from its home in Winthrop, Massachusetts, for three days last week. When the cat finally returned, the owner found it sitting in the litter box - with part of its face dangling from its head.
    Veterinarians said they believe the injury was caused by a car's fan belt, which the cat might have approached in an effort to stay warm.
    "When her owner saw her face, she passed out," said Elizabeth Kendrick, a surgical technician at Angell animal medical centre.
    The owner, who asked not to be identified, rushed Edgar to an animal hospital.
    Remarkably, Edgar suffered no major blood loss nor any permanent nerve damage from the accident, and veterinary surgeons were able to stitch the facial skin back on during an hour-long surgery.
    The pet is expected to make a full recovery.
    Besides the skin hanging from Edgar's face, Edgar seemed normal, Ms Kendrick said.
    "She was purring and sticking her head up so we could pet her," Ms Kendrick said. "She even tried to chew at her skin. I'd never seen anything like it."

Cat's face re-attached by vet - Telegraph

Wow, I am glad the poor thing is okay.

Ah....this reminds me of something that happened at my work.
    A stray cat adopted the building where I work as somewhere to hang around and get attention from passers-by, he hung around so much we started to feed him, and named him Bob. One of the girl's husbands even built a little cat-kennel so he could take shelter in there, he became a regular talking point with customers and was a sweet cat.

One day he didn't come for his lunch, or the next, or the next. We started to get worried. We would go and and look in his hut each morning, but to no avail.

One morning I peered in. He was in there, and in a bad way. It looked like he'd been hit by a car and half his face was caved in and his eyeball had popped out. I ran back in, a little pale and faint and told people (I then had to go and sit in the back office as I nearly fainted! It was fucking horrible, poor cat) They tried to take the roof of his hut off but he got scared and bolted. We lost him for another night...it was made worse knowing what had happened to him now. We called the RSPCA who came out the next day. I can't quite remember how, but they did find him and took him in for surgery, which we did a whip-round to pay for. After a few touch and go days we heard he made a full recovery, but lost his eye.
    One of the other girls adopted him, and he now, by all accounts, lives a very lazy and happy life! (He's also a little larger than he was) We have a picture of him on the wall, which we are often asked about.
    I like that Bob had a happy ending, I'm glad this one should be ok too!

Eli

Just imagine yourself, with half of your face dangling off. I would pass out if I saw it, too.

OMG - poor baby. Thank goodness she's OK.

Rondette - what a wonderful ending to a terrible story.

Unfortunately, lots of cats get mangled that way. They jump under car hoods to keep warm and get chopped up when someone starts the car.

Several years ago, a friend of a friend drove his car to work not knowing there was a kitten under his hood. He heard it crying when he parked his car. The kitten was so tiny and how he managed to survive that ride I'll never know. The pads of his feet were burnt but that's the only injury he had. I ended up adopting him and for 11 years, he was a great companion. RIP Ziggy.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I remember it happened when I was young...my mom started up her car and you could hear the cat screeching like crazy. It was smashed to hell....I was so little that she didn't let me see it (thank god) I just remember her crying like crazy
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Ahh poor thing.
    I love happy ending animal stories.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Cat's face not reattached by vet (may be consdered disturbing by some):

Daily Tails of Chase...

"I was in an accident when I was 4 wks (2005), I became disfigured. I have a Furry Will to survive & I am completely healed. I require medication during the day to keep my eyes moist. I will always look different but I am in NO PAIN! I have seen 10 vets and they can attest to that! Im a happy kitty and hope to help other humans (especially those disfigured and find work as a therapy cat) feel just as great about themselves and realize that not everyone looks perfect and that is OK."
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Cat's face not reattached by vet (may be consdered disturbing by some):

Daily Tails of Chase...

"I was in an accident when I was 4 wks (2005), I became disfigured. I have a Furry Will to survive & I am completely healed. I require medication during the day to keep my eyes moist. I will always look different but I am in NO PAIN! I have seen 10 vets and they can attest to that! Im a happy kitty and hope to help other humans (especially those disfigured and find work as a therapy cat) feel just as great about themselves and realize that not everyone looks perfect and that is OK."

Thread Information