Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Mini Pinschers good dogs?

Hi! I'm New Here!

Exclamation Are Mini Pinschers good dogs?

I want to get a small dog and I really like Miniature Pinschers but I was wondering if they like to snuggle. I want a small snuggly dog that can fit in a dog purse. I don't really like Chihuahuas though. Plz reply..

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I know a bit about Min-Pins. My dog (see my avatar) is exactly 1/2 min-pin. I have observed several other min-pins that belong to people I've known as well as strangers and here's my take on them:

They are lively with lots and lots of energy. They are a huge dog in a little dog's body and it isn't unusual for one to get aggressive and pick a fight with a Rottie or some other big dog. Like many toy breeds, they get especially attached to their owner and are wary of strangers. Crumpet is so attached to me and very(almost overly) affectionate with people she knows well. She is in my lap, always, even when I go pee. But I caution anyone who is a stranger against getting up in a little dog's face because they feel threatened by this and will likely snap or bite. They prefer to be the ones to initiate contact with others rather than having people come and go all goo-goo over them. They like to bark and are excellent watch dogs. I personally wouldn't let small kids around my toy dog because they may accidentally hurt the animal or do something that gets their face bitten off. Experts caution against spoiling min-pins as they are said to become tyrannical, but I can't help myself.

Hope this helps!
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

a dog purse? gawd...
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Our computer guy had a litter of them when we went over to their house one time. Even as puppies they were aloof,skiddish doggies-hard to make friends with.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

they are precious, but our next door neighbor has one and she is a yappy little thing. My Pug hardly ever barks.

So weird that you posted this--I was just bitten by a min pin this weekend! First time I've ever been bitten by a dog. I would never have them around young children. They don't seem to like being around a lot of people either. I've heard pugs, cockapoos, and bichon frises make great pets.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Small, snuggly, fits in a purse:

...yeah, okay, a tote bag. Whatever.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

a dog is not a fashion accessory, and little dogs in purses yapping and biting people in malls is a bit 2005.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Pugs are wonderful dogs, but require a LOT of attention and you have to learn how to properly care for them. They do not fit into a purse either!

I like min pins, but I think that only a dedicated or veteran dog owner should own one. While they have a lot of great qualities, they can also have some bad ones. These bad ones often occur because of the owner. Dogs are dogs, not a little person or accessory. The way people treat toys results in small dog syndrome, which isn't good for the owner or the dog. By carrying them around they'll develop this disorder. I'd advise checking out these two sites:

I have a Boston Terrier. Not a purse-sized dog, but she's awesome. I also like pugs and Bichons.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

My parents have a pure bred MP and I fucking hate it. It's probably from some shitty puppy mill. It sheds little hairs all of the place, it has crappy vision (it's been like that since birth), it's super possessive and barks at people coming up the driveway, growls at them and runs at them. He's always yapping and barking at everything from people to squirrels to birds. He has seizures too. I wonder if the seizure/eye sight is common with the breed.

You can't play fight or he starts barking and wanting to attack. He even tries to attack my dad if he holds my daughter or rough houses. And he always wants to sit in your lap, he can't lay on the floor or be alone. He also has bitten people, including my dad- several times. If my dad even raises his voice (playing around), the dog runs in the room and attacks him.

Their dog sucks ass. I have known other MP and they are "protective" like this dog (my mother says he is protecting everyone, ). I don't consider it protective though when it wants to bite a family member who is laughing...... but my parents are also shitty parents, so you can assume they are shitty dog owner/trainers as well.

I have a dog who is pretty awesome, he's half cairn terrier and half yorkie (yorkshire terrier). I like my dog, but I am the boss of my house, my dog knows his place!
    Last edited by DeadDwarf; December 9th, 2008 at 10:49 PM.

Margreyetta, I apologize in advance if what I am going to say offends you, but.....

A dog is not a fashion accessory or something to be tossed into a designer bag and carried around. It's no fun for the animal, and frankly, it reflects badly on you.

If you do get a small dog, please consider adopting from one of the countless rescue groups who specialize in purebreds. Do NOT buy from a pet shop - even the swankiest most expensive ones get their supply from puppy mills. If you insist on getting one from a breeder, go directly to the breeder and make sure you see the set-up, the parents of the dog, how they care for them, etc. Never agree to the breeder coming to you or meeting you in a parking lot or whatever. That for sure means puppy mill.

I have three mutts that I picked up from the side of the road after some idiot abandoned them, and they are my best friends. In my eyes, they are "pure" - pure love.

I'll take my soapbox and go home now.

no.. leave the soapbox.. it's a good box..

I agree- dogs are not toys or accessories! If you truly love dogs and want to take good care of one, please read up on breeds and adopt from a shelter. I got my Pug from a rescue organization and she is the best dog ever!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information