Thread: Zoo wants to evict polar bear Knut

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Zoo wants to evict polar bear Knut

Report: Zoo To Give Polar Bear Knut the Boot

By Charlotte Triggs
    Originally posted Saturday December 06, 2008 11:20 AM EST
    Knut, grown up and as a cub in 2007 Photo by: Michael Kappeler / Colourpress / JPI; Markus Schreiber / AP
    Knut, the world’s most famous polar bear, turned two last Friday, but this year there was no celebration – and the animal-kingdom superstar might need to start looking for new digs.

According to reports in the German press, Berlin’s zoo is looking to sell the famous bear to another facility, possibly in Sweden, in 2009.

Now weighing in at almost 450 lbs., Knut is too big for his current enclosure, zoo officials say. And zookeeper Heiner Klös, recently told the German magazine Der Spiegel that Knut needs to be treated like the rest of his neighbors.

“We have 14,000 animals here and we won’t let our zoo be reduced to just Knut,” said Klös. “There are no plans to move him despite all the speculation. But in the long term he won’t be able to live in his current enclosure.”

“Knut will spend Christmas in Berlin,” Peter Drüwa, director of the Neumünster Zoo (which, along with the Berlin Zoologischer Garten, owns Knut) told the German news agency DPA. “But I’m not so sure he’ll spend Easter there.”

Losing Knut would also certainly cost the zoo business. Since the then-cuddly white bear made his debut in 2007 alongside his trainer, the late Thomas Dörflein – who nursed him back to health after he had been rejected by his mother – Knut has turned into a cash-cow, reportedly responsible for 27% of all visits to the Berlin zoo.

Members of his army of fans are determined to keep the white bear in Germany’s capital. “He means a lot to many people. When you’re with him you forget your problems for a little while,” Hartmut Wiedenroth, the co-founder of Knut Forever in Berlin, told Der Spiegel.

“I think many people would even be prepared to donate money,” added Wiedenroth. “He’s come to symbolize the city.”
    --------

Thomas Dorflein fought to keep Knut at the zoo now that he's passed away the ugly step father aka new keeper Hartmut Wiedenroth wants to get rid of the popular bear... could it be he's jealous, the bear bonded with Dorflein and because of that Thomas was in the news.

I hope Knut finds a new home, he loves people and gets depressed when he's not around the public. Wiedenroth has spread the rumor that the bear is "nuts" and should be put down.

This poor animal. They used him when he was cute, now he's grown and not as "cute" and they have no interest in him. Guess what, folks??? He's a polar bear!!! He's not a cuddly, little lamb!!

Hopefully, San Diego Zoo will take him. We have an excellent polar bear program.

This makes me sick.

Kris, you are right, we have a great enclosure!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

^^Maybe we could get a petition going!!

I love the polar bears at the zoo...check out one of my photos....

Okay...two

those are so cute! i love to watch them in the underground part of the enclosure where they swim. i just wish it wasnt so far down the hill!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

He looks like he should be crooning some Sinatra there!

Lovely picture

Silver Member

Angry

damit, knut is NOT nuts

poor bear was raised by humans

we are imprinted on him as his family/den

i hope he finds a home soon

Hit By Ban Bus!

what bothers me is the nasty remarks Heiner Klös makes. He wants Knut to be treated like any other animal and yet he knows it's Knut the people come to see. He wants him off display even though it makes him depressed.

I think they need to get him away from that zoo. I just don't trust Heiner Klös.

note I said Hartmut Wiedenroth was his new trainer.. sorry for the error it is Klos. geez Peach wake up smell the coffee.
    Last edited by GaPeach; December 8th, 2008 at 12:02 PM.

Awww, Kris, that bear looks so wise.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    what bothers me is the nasty remarks Heiner Klös makes. He wants Knut to be treated like any other animal and yet he knows it's Knut the people come to see. He wants him off display even though it makes him depressed.

I think they need to get him away from that zoo. I just don't trust Heiner Klös.

note I said Hartmut Wiedenroth was his new trainer.. sorry for the error it is Klos. geez Peach wake up smell the coffee.
    I know. It would be awful if Knut suddenly dies to some 'accident'. The thing i don't get is why they had him to start with if they don't have a big enough space to put him in. Didn't they know he would grow?
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    This poor animal. They used him when he was cute, now he's grown and not as "cute" and they have no interest in him. Guess what, folks??? He's a polar bear!!! He's not a cuddly, little lamb!!

Hopefully, San Diego Zoo will take him. We have an excellent polar bear program.

This makes me sick.

Me too.

Thread Information