Thread: Wildlife staff use yellow dusters and milk formula to care for 300 abandoned bats

Default Wildlife staff use yellow dusters and milk formula to care for 300 abandoned bats

A wildlife centre is struggling to cope with an influx of 300 baby flying foxes who were ripped from the trees during heavy storms, forcing their mothers to abandon them.

Hanging in there: Carer Trish Wimberley looks at some of her 300 charges

Wildlife carers at a bat hospital in Queensland, Australia are struggling to find enough fruit to feed them and urgently need extra people who could help feed the creatures who need nourishment every four hours.
    'We have so many baby bats on our hands that we've hardly got enough food to go around,' said carer Trish Wimberley.
    The bat hospital, part of Wildcare Australia, has been inundated with around 300 grey-headed flying foxes, after Queensland's Gold Coast was pummelled by fierce winds and rain last week, forcing bat mothers to fly away for their own safety and leaving their young to fall to the ground.

Demanding: The creatures need to be bottle-fed every four hours
    'Normally, female flying foxes will go to the ends of the earth to save their babies, so it goes to illustrate how bad the storms were,' said Miss Wimberley.

Residents from the Canungra area, where there are large bat populations, have been bringing in the youngsters daily after finding them on the ground.
    Most are suffering from hypothermia and deydration. Many have been attacked by swarms of flies.
    So many have been brought into the centre that Miss Wimberley and her colleagues have been hunting for human foster families and ensure they are fed baby formula and fruit - and kept warm.

Glad rags: Staff are using yellow dusters to keep the bats warm
    So far about 50 bats have been farmed out to carers in Brisbane and Toowoomba to relieve pressure on the 60 Gold Coast carers and volunteer veterinarians who are working around the clock, feeding every four hours.
    'We've found an ideal way of keeping them warm is to wrap them in yellow duster cloths,' said Miss Wimberley.
    'They are very demanding. We have to ensure that they are fed every four hours, so anyone willing to take them in will have to be prepared for a lot of lost sleep.'
    The bats range in ages from one to four weeks and are fed baby formula from tiny baby bottles.

Winging it: Struggling wildlife staff use yellow dusters and milk formula to care for influx of 300 abandoned baby bats | Mail Online

i want to say awww how cute, but omg they are bats.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Those things are ugly and creepy. Yuck.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Bats are wonderful critters-they can eat their weight in mesquitos nightly! Poor littlle things-I am so glad they are being helped.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

aww i think they're cute and neat looking. I would totally take some in, and have my own army of Grimm-friendly bats to terrorize others with

Secondly, attacked by swarms of flies? Attacked? How the fuck do you get attacked by flies? Wtf do they do, suck you to death? They don't have any teeth!

... unless they're special australian flies that have fucking teeth, wouldn't surprise me. Wtf is wrong with australia! Fuckign fly swarms with teeth that attack bats!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

No, they are NOT ugly and creepy and yuck!!! Most fear of bats is based on incorrect information and and superstition, not facts. Bats are very beneficial animals and thankfully there are lots of organizations working very hard for bat conservation.

I think they look very curious
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Well, I think they're cute. Surprise.

We used to have a ton of bats in our backyard when I was a kid. We had no mosquito's. They didn't dive bomb us and get tangled up in our hair and bite us.

Only bats I've seen are the ones that zip around streetlights eating bugs. They don't even get near people.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Bats are so cute, like little furry flying baby wolf puppies. I love them and they are good for the environment,too!
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awww, so cute.
    I think they look neat.

they're very cute. on summer evenings, i have spotted bats in our backyard and they do not shy away when they see you. i'd volunteer to help out but i live too far away from Queensland.

I LOVE bats. They rule! They are the only animals other than humans that are known to practice altruism (will feed unrelated bats at the expense of their own health/life, with no benefit to be gained).

Plus, without bats you would have more mosqitoes and less tequila.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

These look just like the "flying fox" bats that I saw in a wildlife refuge near Sydney Australia.

I was a little freaked out because the things were ENORMOUS. In the U.S. the bats i have seen were about the size of my hand (including head, body, and folded-up wings). Just the head alone of a flying fox is as big my hand (and I have big hands). And their tonges stick about six inches out of their mouths.

I have a video of myself standing next to them on Youtube, I think.

Thread Information