Thread: Australian fuckwits charged over attack on 75-year-old blind flamingo

Angry Australian fuckwits charged over attack on 75-year-old blind flamingo

Photo: AFP SYDNEY (AFP) - Four Australian teenagers were charged Thursday with attacking an almost blind greater flamingo that is believed to be the oldest bird of its kind in the world, police and zoo officials said.
    The injuries to the beak and head are clearly visible

The flamingo's head and beak were injured and it was bleeding from an eye after the attack at Adelaide Zoo that left it in a critical condition, zoo staff said.
    "The bird arrived at the zoo in 1933 and was a mature bird at that stage," a spokeswoman for the zoo told AFP. "So although we don't know it's exact age it is at least 75 years old -- much older than they grow in the wild."
    The zoo's website describes the bird as "undoubtedly the oldest flamingo in the world," adding that despite its great age its quality of life was very good.
    Police said four men aged between 17 and 19 were charged with aggravated ill-treatment of an animal and released on bail to appear in court at a later date.
    Several people at the zoo at the time of the attack had spoken about the incident with staff and officers wanted to interview them, a spokesman said.
    The elderly bird, described as unafraid of humans, had a habit of coming close to the edge of his enclosure.
    Known only as Flamingo One, he was sedated after the attack and was taken to the animal hospital where his condition was reported to be improving.
    "He's just an icon, he's the oldest resident of the zoo, he's just a symbol of the beauty of nature," said the zoo's chief executive Chris West.
    Zoo officials said the shocking attack had left them concerned for the wellbeing of a second flamingo -- the older bird's only companion for more than 50 years.

Australians charged over attack on 75-year-old blind flamingo

This has me practically in tears.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

^ I know right. After all these years. I just hope these attacks do not set such an old creature back. It's sad that it was so friendly to humans, not afraid, and now possibly in his last years that will change.

I really hate people like this. Why even go to a Zoo if you aren't an animal lover?

I really wish the police would start making examples out of the people that harm innocent animals.

This is so horrible-what the heck is wrong with these boys? I see no hope for them ever improving. Ever.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Again...wtf is wrong with people???? This poor creature has lived this long and to have something like this done is just disgusting!

I agree with you Sweetie, these people need to start serving some real time in jail. They need to be made examples.

Is it me or is there more random violence directed at animals? Maybe it's just caught more or reported more in the news? Or is this a kind of sick cultural shift that life means less and violence doesn't have consequences?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Quote Originally Posted by ariesallover View Post
    Is it me or is there more random violence directed at animals? Maybe it's just caught more or reported more in the news? Or is this a kind of sick cultural shift that life means less and violence doesn't have consequences?
    The Western world has gotten really pussified on violent crime. It really seems to have begun in the emo 90's where everything was about 'getting help' and understanding everyone's feelings and everything being explained away by labelling it all as an 'illness' in some way or another. I'll always believe that the reason you see and increase in certain vbehaviors is because you have tolerated it. Period. Giving people 'counseling' instead of real, freedom restricting, permanent legal consequences is the same thing as doing nothing. You cannot give anti-social types an inch. They will manipulate any chance you give them and take a mile. All people do not have value. Some are straight up parasites who contribute nothing to society while they cost us so much.

I'd like to personally slap the pure living shit out of every emo hand wringer who just insists that we need to understand why people do these things in order to stop it. No we don't. We already know why people are fucked up. We know that broken homes, bad parenting, drugs, and poverty have all been shown to contribute to anti-social behavior. The problem is, the things that we would really need to do, the things that would really make a difference, have been deemed unacceptable for many reasons. We could forcibly sterlize all alcoholics and addicts and that right there would limit the number of children growing up in those homes. We could automatically remove infants from mothers who are already living in poverty yet who continue to have more kids, usually by one loser after the next. That right there would limit a significant number of people who grow up in dysfunctional environments but we as a society have determined that we are not willing to allow government to take that kind of control over people's personal lives, so we take the bad with the good in order to perserve personal integrity of individuals. I'm not saying that I don't agree with that, but I just accept that the price you pay for having freedom is that some people will use their free will to fuck things up for others. But, when they do there needs to be serious consequences because with rights come equal responsibilities.

People who cannot function in society without causing harm to others need to be removed from society, period. No more sob stories and no more 4th or 5th chances. Yeah, it sucks that you got molested or neglected or whatever but that does not give you the right to harm others.
    Last edited by crumpet; October 30th, 2008 at 03:20 PM.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crumpet View Post
    People who cannot function in society without causing harm to others need to be removed from society, period. No more sob stories and no more 4th or 5th chances. Yeah, it sucks that you got molested or neglected or whatever but that does not give you the right to harm others.
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!! For example, there are lots of decent, good people in need of organ transplants, at least that way these degenerates would be good for something.

The beating of a blind flamingo at a zoo in Australia has sparked outrage and prompted calls to review laws preventing underage offenders from being named.
    Readers of the AdelaideNow newspaper have vented their fury over Wednesday's attack on the Adelaide Zoo's 78-year-old flamingo one of the zoo's main attractions since the 1930s.
    Police arrested and charged four teenagers, including two 17-year-olds, but their identities will not be revealed under laws that prevent alleged offenders being named if they are under 18.
    The youths, from Broadview and Enfield, will appear in Adelaide Youth Court on Nov. 13. They were charged with aggravated ill treatment of an animal. A Payneham man, 18, and a Campbelltown man, 19, will appear in Adelaide Magistrates Court in February.
    Adelaide defense lawyer Craig Caldicott said while he was unaware of the circumstances of the older teens, they might also have a case to argue that their names be suppressed.
    The teenagers are believed to be the first in the state charged with aggravated animal cruelty since new laws took effect earlier this month.

FOXNews.com - Outrage in Australia After Teens Beat Blind Flamingo - International News | News of the World | Middle East News | Europe News

A bit of good news!

Article from: - News.com.au Top stories | News from Australia and around the world online | News.com.au

DANIEL WILLS
    October 31, 2008 10:25am
    A HALF-BLIND flamingo still bearing the scars of a savage bashing on Wednesday, was this morning returned to its enclosure at Adelaide Zoo.

Handlers said the bird appeared disoriented and they will continue to monitor its health.
    Senior bird-keeper Brett Backhouse said today the flamingo was making good progress considering the trauma it had suffered.
    "We are pretty happy, we will keep monitoring him throughout the day, but so far, so good," he said.
    The bird still carries scars on its head from the assault, but handlers have been unable to measure the full extent of internal injuries that could continue to pose problems.
    Mr Backhouse will keep a keen eye on the bird's eating patterns and ensure it maintains a healthy weight.
    He hopes the blind bird won't become permanently frightened of humans following the bashing.
    The bird joined its companion, a Chilean flamingo, which keepers said had been suffering in its absence.
    "I think it's very important they are back together, you can hear them calling to each other and that just shows that the bond is still there," Mr Backhouse said.
    "They feed off each other a lot.
    "Yesterday we were saying that they were very quiet, but they are talking to each other now and you could probably call that happiness."
    Four youth have been arrested over the attack which sparked public outrage.
    Mr Backhouse said zoo staff had been buoyed by expressions of sympathy from AdelaideNow readers.
    "It's great reading some of the comments on the website," he said.
    "People obviously feel very strongly about this topic, the same way we feel.
    "It's very upsetting to us and it's obviously very upsetting to other people, too."
    Bird-keeper Charlie Romer was the first keeper on the scene of the attack on Wednesday.
    He had been working in an aviary opposite the flamingo enclosure when he heard the call over the radio.
    "He was basically in shock," he said of the bashed flamingo.
    "There was blood coming out of his eye, blood coming out of his beak, he was disoriented, probably concussed, he was flapping around, with his wings over his head.
    "He couldn't stand up, his legs were going all over the place.

"I grabbed him and took him off to calm him down and called the vet, and they stabilised him from there."

The Western world has gotten really pussified on violent crime. It really seems to have begun in the emo 90's where everything was about 'getting help' and understanding everyone's feelings and everything being explained away by labelling it all as an 'illness' in some way or another. I'll always believe that the reason you see and increase in certain vbehaviors is because you have tolerated it. Period. Giving people 'counseling' instead of real, freedom restricting, permanent legal consequences is the same thing as doing nothing. You cannot give anti-social types an inch. They will manipulate any chance you give them and take a mile. All people do not have value. Some are straight up parasites who contribute nothing to society while they cost us so much.

I'd like to personally slap the pure living shit out of every emo hand wringer who just insists that we need to understand why people do these things in order to stop it. No we don't. We already know why people are fucked up. We know that broken homes, bad parenting, drugs, and poverty have all been shown to contribute to anti-social behavior. The problem is, the things that we would really need to do, the things that would really make a difference, have been deemed unacceptable for many reasons. We could forcibly sterlize all alcoholics and addicts and that right there would limit the number of children growing up in those homes. We could automatically remove infants from mothers who are already living in poverty yet who continue to have more kids, usually by one loser after the next. That right there would limit a significant number of people who grow up in dysfunctional environments but we as a society have determined that we are not willing to allow government to take that kind of control over people's personal lives, so we take the bad with the good in order to perserve personal integrity of individuals. I'm not saying that I don't agree with that, but I just accept that the price you pay for having freedom is that some people will use their free will to fuck things up for others. But, when they do there needs to be serious consequences because with rights come equal responsibilities.

I agree with this entire post. Some people should just be done away with. Not everyone is good or worthy of resources being used to get them help when there really is no helping them. May not be the pc thing to say,but enough is enough of this coddling,everyone is special bullshit.
    Last edited by Mivvi21; October 31st, 2008 at 01:10 AM.

Crumpet, your post was brilliant. I agree 100%. I'm so sick of reading this stuff; it's ALWAYS teens who can't get charged, and they know it. The law needs to be changed to full adult punishment by law at age 12. Names in the paper, the works. I wish they would just be beaten to death. I don't care if it's harsh. We don't need people like this on the planet. THERE'S NO EXCUSE. NONE.

That Flamingo is gorgeous, I cried when I read this story. If they are so cruel to a defenseless, non-antagonistic bird, what would they do to anyone else? HATE. Off with their fucking heads.

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    A bit of good news!

Article from: - News.com.au Top stories | News from Australia and around the world online | News.com.au

DANIEL WILLS
    October 31, 2008 10:25am
    A HALF-BLIND flamingo still bearing the scars of a savage bashing on Wednesday, was this morning returned to its enclosure at Adelaide Zoo.

Handlers said the bird appeared disoriented and they will continue to monitor its health.
    Senior bird-keeper Brett Backhouse said today the flamingo was making good progress considering the trauma it had suffered.
    "We are pretty happy, we will keep monitoring him throughout the day, but so far, so good," he said.
    The bird still carries scars on its head from the assault, but handlers have been unable to measure the full extent of internal injuries that could continue to pose problems.
    Mr Backhouse will keep a keen eye on the bird's eating patterns and ensure it maintains a healthy weight.
    He hopes the blind bird won't become permanently frightened of humans following the bashing.
    The bird joined its companion, a Chilean flamingo, which keepers said had been suffering in its absence.
    "I think it's very important they are back together, you can hear them calling to each other and that just shows that the bond is still there," Mr Backhouse said.
    "They feed off each other a lot.
    "Yesterday we were saying that they were very quiet, but they are talking to each other now and you could probably call that happiness."
    Four youth have been arrested over the attack which sparked public outrage.
    Mr Backhouse said zoo staff had been buoyed by expressions of sympathy from AdelaideNow readers.
    "It's great reading some of the comments on the website," he said.
    "People obviously feel very strongly about this topic, the same way we feel.
    "It's very upsetting to us and it's obviously very upsetting to other people, too."
    Bird-keeper Charlie Romer was the first keeper on the scene of the attack on Wednesday.
    He had been working in an aviary opposite the flamingo enclosure when he heard the call over the radio.
    "He was basically in shock," he said of the bashed flamingo.
    "There was blood coming out of his eye, blood coming out of his beak, he was disoriented, probably concussed, he was flapping around, with his wings over his head.
    "He couldn't stand up, his legs were going all over the place.

"I grabbed him and took him off to calm him down and called the vet, and they stabilised him from there."

awww, that is so sweet. I am glad they are back together.

The Western world has gotten really pussified on violent crime. It really seems to have begun in the emo 90's where everything was about 'getting help' and understanding everyone's feelings and everything being explained away by labelling it all as an 'illness' in some way or another. I'll always believe that the reason you see and increase in certain vbehaviors is because you have tolerated it. Period.
    Excellent point and well-spoken. I call this the Oprah Effect. We should hold her civilly liable for all this touchy-feely crap.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information