Thread: Poor kitty afraid of storms...

Default Poor kitty afraid of storms...

Stormed really bad last night and my poor kitty ran and hid! We were already asleep (she sleeps right beside me) and I woke up when I heard her get off the bed...I was half asleep so didn't really think that much about it, but woke up several more times and she was gone. I called her, but she never came to me...right before I got up, she came and got back in the bed. The storm had passed by then, and I guess she wasn't scared anymore...
    Hubby told me the other night he doesn't think she can see very well. I asked him why and he said sometimes she just looks like she can't focus. He wondered if maybe that was why she is still jumpy sometimes. I have noticed her just sitting and looking at something for at least 10 minutes. When I notice her doing this and call her, it's like she hears me but is in a "trance"...So, cat folks, is this normal? Is it possible she has problems seeing? I haven't gotten her to the vet yet-still recovering from a big Christmas, but hope to in the next few weeks...
    THE EASIEST WAY OUT IS THROUGH....

Default Re: Poor kitty afraid of storms...

One of mine is scared of storms, too. Storms and fireworks. He is a big, bully cat too, but let it start to thunder and he walks around staring worried at the ceiling. Then it gets louder, and he hides under the couch and doesn't come out until the noise is over. Big chicken. As far as that trance thing, I don't know, I have never seen that. I have one who is a Red Point Siamese, and his eyes look like alien eyes. I wasn't sure how well he can see, and even the vet said, "Do you think he can see out of those eyes?" but one day I had pulled into the yard and he was sitting in the window. He was about 10 feet away from me and he was looking right at me, so I think he sees fine, he just has weird eyes.
    Keep passing the open windows.

You know, that's funny-she is part Siamese...she has the most beautiful blue eyes and she is partly colored like a Siamese...maybe they just have some weird eye thing going on...
    She has been kind of skiddish since we got her. Hubby has decided someone was mean to her. Sometimes if she bites me and I yell, she ducks her head like someone has slapped the shit out of her a few times. She has finally started to play a little more, and told hubby to be sure and not yell if she scratches him cause it scares her. She is the sweetest thing!

Gonna get her in to the vet in the next few weeks. It's just like she spaces out sometimes and just stares off into space. We do live in a college town, and we had thought maybe someone had put her out due to the holiday (Thanksgiving)--knowing my luck some college kid put acid in her food or thought it was cute to blow kitty a shotgun and I ended up with a brain damaged cat!! It doesn't matter, though, I love her anyway!!

Silver Member

My one cat who is a Balinese (breed of Siamese) has vision problems. One of her optic nerves (or something like that) didn't develop properly. If you look at her eyes from the side they shake often. She certainly isn't blind, but she has to get pretty close to some things and usually smells things to identify them. She hides when someone comes to the door, etc. Is very afraid of strangers. Also, she hides during storms (my other cats don't even notice them). But she is also the sweetest, cuddliest thing every. Her fur is soft like a bunny rabbit.

Thread Information