Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I take a dog that isn't mine to the vet?

Question Should I take a dog that isn't mine to the vet?

Last week, my friend's roomate let me take his dog Sundae home with me for two days to see how the dog would do with my kid, and my pet cat. I was doing so because he wants to give Sundae away to the pound, because his apartment has a 500 dollar fee for pets that he doen't want to pay. Well, while I had her at my house, she was in our backyard, and she found a dead rat, who died from rat poison, and was chewing on it. I'm not sure if she ate any of it, cause I was grossed out, and my dad handled the situation. ( I didn't wanna look).

Anyways, I had her for the two days, and I could see that it wasn't going to work out, because my cat was scared of the dog because she was a large breed. I return Sundae back to the guy, I felt horrible knowing that he was going to give her away, but I really didn't have any choice. I go over my friend's house a few days later, and the dog wasn't around. So I asked his roomate if he gave the dog to the pound. He's like "no not yet. She's sick, and she's been acting all wierd ever since she came back. She doesn't want to eat, and she's been throwing up all the time." I was trying to figure out what could have happened while she was at my house, and the rat thing is all I came up with. I'm wondering if I should spend the money to have the dog be seen at the vet's office? I don't think he cares enough to take her in. On one hand, it's like she isn't my dog, why should I spend the money when she'll just go to the pound anyways, and on the other, I can't help but feel bad, and want to help out the poor doggie. I'd feel horrible if she died! Any advice??

SVZ

If you feel bad for the dog take him in. The owner doesn't deserve to have him, but the dog shouldn't be punished for that.

If you have the money, take it to the vet so it doesn't die. It definitely sounds like it's sick from the poisoned rat. Then try to find another home for it, or at least a no-kill shelter in your area. Matter of fact, maybe the no-kill shelter might be able to give it some sort of care if you can't afford the vet. Definitely ask, for the poor dog's sake.

^ thanks, I have never heard of a no-kill shelter before.

I agree with the others. Call a no-kill shelter and see if they can treat the dog, if they can't, then take the dog to the vet. She shouldn't suffer because your friend chooses to neglect her. They are like kids, they rely on adults to take them to the vet/doctor when they are sick. Your friend is a shitty pet owner, do the right thing and help out the dog as much as you can, especially since she probably is sick from the rat poison from your house.

There are several no-kill shelters in southern CA. I think that's where you live, right? Call one ASAP and get the dog in or on the waiting list. Sometimes it can take a while before a spot opens up.

My husband works with a guy who was in a similar situation. His roommate had a dog that got sick and was puking/peeing all over the house and obviously suffering. He kept asking his roommate to take the dog to the vet because she was seriously ill, and he would reply that he didn't care enough and didn't want to pay to have her examined at the vet. She died after suffering for TWO WEEKS. How fucking horrible is that? How could they watch the dog slowly die and not do anything? That's just not right. Hopefully karma comes back to them soon.

Call a rescue or a no-kill shelter. If you're in Orange county, call Ariel rescue or maybe Mojeska Ranch Rescue. Mission Viejo and Irvine are no kill shelters.

In LA there's Pet Orphans, Best Friends, etc. There is also a hospital called Best Friends in Valley Village/Studio City area. They won't turn away anyone, even without $$$. I'm afraid if you just take her to a no-kill shelter, they will put her down for being sick. Most no kill shelters will put down a very sick dog or cat....unless they know what's wrong with them.

I would cough up the cash and take her to the vet. See if the vet will work with you on a price. The dog shouldn't have to suffer. Poisoning is very painful.

Thumbs down

I would agree with DD and K9 poor dog is probably poisoned which is not only painful but very dangerous.

Also, I despise owners like this

A*O

Any way you can have the owner put down instead?
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Honestly, by you taking the dog, you are deemed responsible for it. The dog chewed on a poisoned rat on your property under your care, so if not only for the piece of mind that this dog shouldn't suffer, I would pay for the medical expenses. It's not her fault her owner can't care for her anymore and she didn't know the rat was poisoned--she was just being a dog.

Good luck; let us know how it goes.
    Go Habs Go!!

Silver Member

The vet would probably have induced vomiting and given charcoal and vitamin K. It's probably too late for that, but the dog should recover, you said she was large. What's fatal for a 9 lb boston terrier might not be that significant to a 100 lb bullmastiff.

But her fate does not bode well, if you don't want her, I doubt he will find somebody else who will.

This is one reason why the animal rights activists don't think people should keep pets. Most of them don't end up in loving homes and suffer. A lot of people, maybe even most of them, are not worthy of keeping pets, not if they think of them as disposable.

Well, i just got some bad news. Her scumbag owner decided to take the dog to the park, and let her free. Now, I'm going to have to find her if she's still there, and take her to the vet. I can't believe he could be heartless enough to do such a thing! I asked him "why did you do that?" I was going to take her to the vet on
    Monday!" His response, "Well, if you cared that much, you should have kept her." What a fucking ass! I live with the rents, and they didn't want to take care of another animal! What the hell was I supposed to do???

What kind of worthless piece of shit trash is that person? I hope you find the poor doggie and you should never speak to that fuckhead again.
    Though the second you found the dog chewing on a poisoned rat really would have been a good time to take it to a vet. I hope the poor baby makes it.

^ I know! luckilly, he's just my friend's roomate, and I don't deal with him. About the rat, I didn't know the rat had died of poisioning. I thought she killed it. It wasn't till I found out she was sick, that my mom told me they laid out rat poison.

I feel so sorry for this poor dog. Nobody wants her so they just dump her off to die. What a cold and heartless thing to do. Karma is a bitch.

It's more kind to drop them off at a shelter, kill or no kill, than it is to let them loose in a park. Poor thing must have no idea what it did to deserve such a fate. I hope she finds someone to love her and take care of her.

This guy is worthless shit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information