Thread: Pelicans catching rain in their bills

Default Pelicans catching rain in their bills

When four young pelicans decided to put on a performance of 'synchronised billing' it became a hard act to swallow.
    The youngsters opened their bills together as a welcome downpour swept across the coast of New South Wales north of Sydney.
    Perhaps they wanted to catch some water for a, well, non-rainy day.
    In any case, bystanders watched in amazement as they showed off the height, depth and breadth of their pink bills.

Open wide: Pelicans enjoy taking a drink in the rain in Australia

Such displays have even given rise to a neat Australian rhyme: 'A peculiar bird is the pelican, Its beak can hold more than its belly can.'
    In fact, a pelican's bill, known as its pouch, can hold no less than 13 litres of water.
    'Pelicans love it when it rains,' says Miss Emma Bell, marine mammals keeper at Sydney's Taronga Zoo.
    'Whenever it rains you'll often see them putting their bills out to trap the water. They do it for their own enjoyment or just to cool them down in the summer months.'
    Those bright, eye-catching bills are also used to attract the opposite sex during the breeding season.

The thirsty birds make sure they swallow up every bit of available
    water

Of course, there's another reason for opening those beaks wide - to catch food, which the birds can scoop up from the ocean.

And there's always the generous tourist who's around somewhere to throw them a piece of fish after buying lunch at a nearby fish and chip shop.
    Hundreds of pelicans have made their home along the coast north of Sydney, where they are found at popular tourist spots as well as along rivers and estuaries.
    But those large bills can also be a handicap at times.
    They are likely to be caught by stray fishing lines or hooks - a great concern for conservationists who say that a line tangled around a bill
    can damage a bird's chances of feeding and breeding.

Pictured: Pelicans put on incredible display as they catch rain in their bills | Mail Online

They are beyond cuteness!!! People are so mean to them out here. It sucks.

I love pelicans-they are just Stars of the bird world!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

yepyepyepyepyepyepyep uh-huh uh-huh yepyepyepyepyep
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^My favorite characters from Sesame Street to this day!
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Animls are just amazing.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love it when I go out on the pier and the fisherman are cleaning their fish at this little station and the pelicans hide under the table and wait for fish bits to fall down on the ground. I don't know why, but I think that's so amusing.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Thread Information