Thread: The deer who was delivered by Caesarean section after his mother was killed by a car

Default The deer who was delivered by Caesarean section after his mother was killed by a car

He is growing up without a mother's love. But this tiny muntjac fawn appears to have a lucky streak nonetheless.

He was born three weeks early after his mother was hit by a car.

Vets battled to save her but she died soon afterwards.

Enlarge
    Orphan: Muntjac fawn Rupert was delivered by Caesarean section after his mother was killed by a car. He was just six inches tall and weighed 500 grams

Enlarge
    Sleepy head: The male has short antlers, usually four inches or less, and uses them to push enemies off balance so he can wound them with his two-inch upper canine teeth. The small deer is also called the barking deer
    The little orphan, delivered by Caesarean section, was just six inches tall and, at 500 grams, weighed little more than a bag of sugar.
    It looked like he, too, would face a tough fight for survival.

But staff at Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital in Buckinghamshire believe Rupert, as he has been named, will make a full recovery after his dramatic arrival.

At five days old, he is being kept in an incubator and has just opened his eyes.

Enlarge
    Wee thing: Rupert is growing into quite a handful. The muntjac grows to 37 inches in length, and weighs between 22 and 40lbs when fully grown
    Les Stocker, founder of Tiggywinkles, said: 'Rupert's mother had very severe injuries. We brought him out and got him breathing and then he went into an incubator on oxygen. He is now being fed by a tube.'
    'Deer are very, very tricky but this one has spirit. He's an extremely feisty little guy and quite pushy,' he added.
    Muntjac are the oldest known deer, appearing 15-35 million years ago, with remains found in Miocene deposits in France and Germany.

Enlarge
    First steps: An unspecified species of muntjac was introduced to the grounds of Woburn Abbey in Bedfordshire in the 19th century by the then Duke of Bedford

Enlarge
    Alien species: Larger numbers of muntjac escaped from Whipsnade Zoo, and they are the more likely ancestors, in addition to other releases
    The present-day species are native to south-east Asia and can be found from India and Sri Lanka to southern China, Taiwan, Japan and Indonesian islands.

Reeves's Muntjac has been introduced to England and is now common in some areas there.

Inhabiting tropical regions, the deer have no seasonal rut and mating can take place at any time of year.

However, this behaviour is retained by populations introduced to temperate countries.
    Males have short antlers, which can regrow but they tend to fight for territory with their tusks.

Enlarge
    Widespread: Muntjac colonies exist throughout England below Derbyshire, and the population continues to grow. Small groupings of muntjacs have been seen in large urban parks in the Islington, Highgate, East Ham, Finchley and Greenwich areas of London

Meet a deer little handful called Rupert who was delivered by Caesarean section after his mother was killed by a car | Mail Online

Silver Member

Cool

he is sooo cute

Cutest thing ever! Awwwwww
    “Cigarettes and coffee: an alcoholic's best friend!”
    ~Gerard Way

Rupert! I love it!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

He's an angel!

That is just too cute

What a cute baby he is! Fully grown he'd probably kick my ass from here to Sunday, but I want to cuddle his sweet face!
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by Honey View Post
    This is my favorite picture...look at that face I wanna squeeze him and kiss him and call him George Haha! Seriously, I love the name Rupert and I love the name of the Wildlife Hospital....Tiggywinkles!!

OMG how sweet is he?!

I saw a show on Animal Planet of a deer getting hit and they noticed she was pregnant, so they did a caesarean and she had twins one was dead and a guy that stopped did mouth to mouth on the other one and he survived. It was amazing.

Omg, that is just too precious!

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Unhappy

Rupert the tiny deer, who danced into all of our cold and dingy hearts has passed on to the big green meadow in the sky. This wasn't supposed to happen.
    Staff members at the Tiggywinkles Wildlife Hospital in Haddenham, England said they tried to keep him alive by giving him lamb's milk, but he needed his mommy's bacteria. His lungs were also not working properly. The staff also knew that the odds were against Rupert, because he didn't have his mommy and was three weeks premature.
    The founder of Tiggywinkles said: "The nurses are absolutely choked as well as the foster mother who took him on. It is all a new science looking after wildlife casualties and this is just one more to add to our experience."
    Rupert was only with us a short time, but he brought so much joy into my dark and dreary life. This is why I'm a cold bitter bitch, because once you let love into your heart, it will go away.
    The world is a cruel and ugly place so innocent Rupert is better off up there with his mommy.
    Rest in peace, Little Rupert.....

WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! | Dlisted

So Sad!

i just read that he died when i was
    over at Dlisted. little punkin didnt have a chance, but at least those caring people tried to help him.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

NO!!!!! No, no, no!!!

SVZ

awww it looks like a clay doll

Oh, he's just adorable, so sweet and so special. I'd give anything to give him a gentle cuddle, bless his heart.

Thread Information