Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Small Dogs?

Default Best Small Dogs?

I'm thinking about getting myself a dog and I don't know much about small breeds. My family always had large dogs, but I'd prefer a smaller dog, since I don't have a huge amount of space. Ideally, I'd like a calmer breed (not lethargic, just not nervous) and preferably one that isn't a big shedder.

I'm planning on going to my local shelter and rescuing, so I might not have a huge selection, but any suggestions for what I should be on the look-out for? Or what I should maybe avoid?
    Last edited by Laurent; January 7th, 2006 at 02:32 AM.

Default Re: Best Small Dogs?

There are lots of great small breeds... it just depends on what you're looking for, I guess.

-I'm a big fan of Yorkies... they're not excessively hyper or yappy, in my experience, just fun little happy dogs.
    -I would avoid poodles... they don't shed much at all, but they are known to be aggressive and bark a lot.
    -Chihuahuas are too nervous for my tastes.
    -Daschunds are verrrry sweet, but they have a lot problems with their backs.
    -Pugs are amazing little guys, and I would highly recommend them, but you have to watch out for breathing problems.
    -Scotties are very sweet, too.
    -Maybe a Bichon would be something to look out for. They hardly shed at all, and they aren't high-energy. I've only known one, but he was a sweetheart.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Sadly, I have to inform you that pugs shed like crazy. I avoid wearing anything black cuz it shows so much and their hair is so hard to remove (but I love my dog regardless ). However, black pugs don't shed like fawn ones (beige coloured ones like the one I have ) so if you come across a black pug you should adopt it. Pugs have a really lovely personality, pretty laid back and calm and they'll love you to death. They also LOVE to EAT, this you might need to be careful about cus they'll get into things like the trash bin and your purse for food. My pug went in my purse while I was out and ate a whole bag of gummy bears and we ended up taking him to the emergency, the vet said pugs and golden retrivers are the only breeds that would do something like this. He was induced to vomit but he refused, he pooped it all out the next day .
    They will always be your baby even when they get older. They are pudgy, cuddly and soft like teddy bears. They are playful but not over-active.

Pugs tend to have problems breathing because of their short snout. They easily overheat because of this (dogs with longer snout have more room for the air to cool) so if you live in an area that has hot climate, the puggy might get quite uncomfortable. They also snort and snore. And they tend to be chubby (around 20 lb) and might have some weight issues.

I hope you'll become a fellow pug owner even if they shed badly...
    There are lots of pug rescue organizations in the US if you want to adopt one (not many in Canada tho).

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Thanks so much both of you! I have no real knowledge about small pooches, so the input is much appreciated.

Baby Yorkies! Definately soooo cute.
    Im ashamed to say what I did for a klondike bar...

A*O

Miniature Schnauzers

They do not shed AT ALL.
    Highly intelligent, easily housetrained and generally trainable.
    They do not require huge amounts of exercise, but appreciate it if you do take them out for a run.
    Loyal and protective of you and your property.
    Not big eaters.
    Alert but calm temperament.

Can you tell I am biased? LOL
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

SVZ

dachshunds!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by muchlove
    -Chihuahuas are too nervous for my tastes.
    My Dad's pet in college was a chihuahua. It was such a nervous thing that during a thunderstorm it got so scared that it had a heart attack and died. I always feel kinda bad for chihuahuas, they're always shaking so hard.

I love my Shih tzus!! I have two of them and they are calm, smart, and funny. Bothe of them are good with kids and other dogs. They do not shed and are good for people with allergys. Some people grow out their hair and keep it long. I like to keep mine short and take them to the groomers every 6 weeks.

Thanks, y'all. I googled some of the dogs mentioned to see what they looked like, and all are so cute. I'll have a hard time choosing if they have more than one.

I totally have to agree with SVZ on dachshunds. I got my first in October 2005 after not having a pet of any kind since 1989. They can have back problems only if they become overweight. My father has had 13 since 1986 and only 2 out of those 13 had back problems and it was due to them being overweight (being big time spoiled). Short-haired are the best in not shedding. I have found in the past few months we have had Sammy he has really changed our family, all for the good.
    Good luck !!!

Dogs should also suit your personality and lifestyle. Too many dogs end up at the pound because people buy a dog they "like," then discover they don't have time or aren't willing to meet the animal's needs. Border collies -- they need tons of attention and space to play and run -- and big dogs like Rottweillers, Dalmations etc. also get dumped because they require a lot of work. People get Jack Russell terriers for their kids because they're "cute" and are then surprised to find that they really aren't good dogs for kids (neither are Dalmations) as they are high strung.

Wheaton terriers are nice, smaller dogs. They don't shed at all, and are fairly good tempered.

Thanks, Sammy & PB.

I'm glad you said that about the Jack Russells. I saw a picture of them and thought they were cute, but if they're very hyper, we probably wouldn't be a good match.

A*O

Terriers are usually fairly compact, BUT they can be very destructive and they are exceptionally active dogs so if you are not willing or able to put give them the attention and exercise they need you could end up with a problem. A family on our street has 2 Jack Russells. Yes they are 'cute' and have great personalities but if they are left alone in the house for even a couple of hours they quickly get bored and will DESTROY everything. The family are on their third sofa in as many years. The garden looks like a battlefield with large holes everywhere and the sprinkler system was shredded a long time ago. It's partly their fault because they don't give the dogs the discipline and training they need, but some traits are inbred and it's almost impossible to stop some instinctive behaviours.

PLEASE PLEASE do not get a pitbull or similar. They are unpredictable and potentially very dangerous [runs away from the pitbull fans]. Yet another toddler had his face chewed off here recently by the family pitbull 'who loves children and it's never happened before'.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Yeow, then a Jack Russell is definately not for me. I have some pieces of furniture I'd rather hang on to, so any dog especially prone to tearing up the house isn't for me.

No worries I'll get a pitbull. I'm looking for a dog mainly for companionship, I don't need or want one with face chewing tendencies.

Thank you for the advice, A*O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information