Thread: Lost cat returned home after NINE years

Smile Lost cat returned home after NINE years

Lost cat returned home after nine years - Yahoo! News

Dixie, a 15-year-old cat, is reunited with her owner Gilly Delaney after going missing nine years ago, in an undated photo.
    (RSPCA/Handout/Reuters)

A British couple have been reunited with their missing cat after nine years, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) said on Wednesday.
    Dixie, a 15-year-old ginger cat, disappeared in 1999 and her owners thought she had been killed by a car.
    She was found less than half a mile from her home in Birmingham after a concerned resident rang the animal charity to report a thin and disheveled cat who had been in the area for a couple of months.
    RSPCA Animal Collection Officer Alan Pittaway checked her microchip and confirmed it was Dixie. She was returned to her owners, Alan and Gilly Delaney, within half an hour.
    "In 29 years of working for the RSPCA I have never seen anyone so excited and happy as Mrs Delaney," Pittaway said. "It made my day to return Dixie to her owners."
    The couple were "overjoyed" to be reunited with their missing cat after so many years.
    "Dixie's personality, behavior and little mannerisms have not changed at all," said Gilly Delaney. "We don't think she has stopped purring since she came back through the door."
    The RSPCA hope the story will encourage owners to have their pets microchipped.

Awww, yay for kitty.

Totally against microchipping, though.

Wow. The longest I ever lost a cat was six months.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

That is amazing. I'd be thrilled.

My dog is microchipped.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkur View Post
    Awww, yay for kitty.

Totally against microchipping, though.
    Why are you against microchipping?
    It's not a happy story, but my S-I-L's kitty was killed on Friday, the street cleaners found her, and thanks to the microchip, they were able to find out who she belonged to and let her know the sad news.

There was some small comfort for S-I-L as it would have been horrible not knowing what had happened to her, and they were also able to get the body and bury her in the garden.

I've got our kitty chipped, I'm just baffled why you think it's a bad thing...

Oh, and yay for the kitty who came home in the story I like to hear happy cat stories.

I'm curious...what is the argument against microchipping?
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Yeah, I'm curious about the cons against microchipping. Some big brother theory involving pets?

Haha, yeah, Big Brother!!! I know it sounds crazy, but you have to boycott!

More regularly you hear about it used on animals, and people get used to the idea. But it's not just animals - people ARE being microchipped. I'm not going to support those companies or programs, even by proxy of the pet industry. They aren't developing the embedded chip technology to use on animals --the pet and more general animal industries are small beans, the real money is in the 'human' industry. It will and is being shifted to human microchipping, and pet microchips help subsidize the costs of development, and our pets end up being, well, guinea pigs for the new technologies.

If it hadn't been for her microchip, my friend's dog, lacking a leash and collar and being a nondescript black lab, would have wound up in animal control and inevitably adopted or put down. She was found by someone unaware that the police were looking for a black lab.

Instead she was scanned right away, it was discovered who she was and the place where she was found in was searched(Before the trash could be emptied the next day) until they found enough evidence to not only keep but convict my friend's killer.

It also helps untagged pets rejoin their owners who could very likely be put down otherwise, when they travel far from home after getting their collar off.

It also helps to pin neglect cases on owners of animals that would otherwise be abused without accountability.

Microchipping pets is like giving them a finger print.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

WTF is going on with that woman's fingernails? Ugh.

smf

that cats been in the same area as its home for nine yrs poor kitty at least shes home finally

Thread Information