Thread: Giant panda cubs that are hand-reared by researchers

Default Giant panda cubs that are hand-reared by researchers

They are one of the most endangered animals in the world, but these giant panda cubs are in safe hands.
    The babies are being specially cared for by a team of workers at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, in Sichuan Province, China.
    Scientists at the research base aim to increase the captive population of giant pandas and ultimately reintroduce the distinctive black and white animals to the wild, with the help of artificial breeding.

Care bear: This little cub is being looked after in an incubator

Panda pups: Two sleepy cubs catch some shut-eye at the research base

Some of the panda cubs' mothers had to transferred to the research base after the devastating earthquake which hit the Sichuan Province on May 12, killing 70,000 people.
    Researchers carried out psychological comfort on the pregnant mothers who were traumatised by the quake, which also destroyed vast swathes of their habitat.

A worker gives twin giant pandas a wash

Endangered: The research base is aiming to increase the population of giant pandas before they are reintroduced into the wild

There are only around 1,590 pandas living in China, mostly in the Sichuan area and the northwestern provinces of Shaanxi and Gansu. Last year, the number of captive bred giant pandas was 239.
    Giant pandas are known for being sexually inactive. Their numbers have been dwindling because of of their shrinking habitat.

Snoozing: Two workers remain close by as these panda cubs have a sleep

Pictured: Giant panda cubs that are hand-reared by researchers | Mail Online

smf

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwws

I want this job!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

conveyor belt breeding, no warm snuggles with Mom, just pop em out like a toaster.

Since Pandas don't normally breed often I wonder how the females are doing with this rapid birthing rate.

Malcom said "you never asked if you should you only asked if you could"

Time will tell what this effect of not having a Mommy around will have but I'm not all that jazzed at the bragging of replacement pandas. If you can't keep the ones in the wild alive now what good is breeding more?

They are cute, I love pandas

They're so beautiful!

Peach, they're endangered, so if they breed more, they can reproduce.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Lily View Post
    They're so beautiful!

Peach, they're endangered, so if they breed more, they can reproduce.
    thing is the whole process. they are not raised by their mother. they have a plethora of them now so are they going to reintroduce them into the wild? a place they are not equiped to handle.

I love panda's, I think it's great but I just wonder where is it going to lead if they don't have an enviroment to go to?

I guess it's looking at the babies laying there all alone that bothers me.. there should be mommies.

In most of these cases (not saying all, but most) the panda mother gives birth to two babies. In the wild, a panda mother cannot care for two babies (because she constantly holds and cradles the baby for the first few weeks) so, unfortunately she chooses one baby and leaves the other to die. In the breeding centers, they switch the babies off and on with the momma. She has one baby for a day, then they switch them up and she has another. This goes on for a couple of months, then she is given both babies to care for. Still, they take the babies away at 6 months to one year of age. In the wild, pandas leave their mothers at 18 months to two years.

Sad that I know this

Oh how sweet they look so teeny tiny.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    In most of these cases (not saying all, but most) the panda mother gives birth to two babies. In the wild, a panda mother cannot care for two babies (because she constantly holds and cradles the baby for the first few weeks) so, unfortunately she chooses one baby and leaves the other to die. In the breeding centers, they switch the babies off and on with the momma. She has one baby for a day, then they switch them up and she has another. This goes on for a couple of months, then she is given both babies to care for. Still, they take the babies away at 6 months to one year of age. In the wild, pandas leave their mothers at 18 months to two years.

Sad that I know this

I don't think it's sad you know that. I appreciate the information. So what happens after they have a couple hundred babies?

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    I don't think it's sad you know that. I appreciate the information. So what happens after they have a couple hundred babies?
    They usually start having babies at 5 - 7 years of age. There is normally two years between breeding and having babies and they usually don't have babies after 16 years of age. Pandas live to be in their mid 20's. After they are done having babies they just live the life. They are very well taken care of in China (and at the zoos that are fortunate enough to have a breeding pair).

All of the babies born here in the US are sent back to China to enter into the breeding program. This is so there is not any inbreeding.

The idea is to be able to start raising them in a more hands off manner, so that they can be released in the wild someday. Unfortunately, there hasn't been much luck when it comes to releasing them back to the wild. The pandas tend to want to come back to the breeding centers.

Thread Information