Thread: Puppy dragged behind ATV; asshole responsible caught

Angry Puppy dragged behind ATV; asshole responsible caught

Monroe County Man In Jail On Animal Cruelty Charges
    Dog Tortured In Monroe County, Suspect In Jail

MONROEVILLE, AL (WSFA) - The puppy dog without a name will survive but his recovery will not be pain free. Dr. John Grider is treating the puppy at his Monroeville clinic.

"He's still hurting. He's on medication now," said Grider.

As terrible as his wounds look today they're nothing compared to what the photographs showed the day after he was dragged. The animal suffered severe abrasions.

"He'll have scars," said Grider.

Monroe County detectives say 20-year old Maurice Cunningham is responsible. They charged Cunningham with animal cruelty and receiving stolen property, the 3-wheeler Cunningham allegedly used to drag the dog about a half-mile through the Peterman community and later dumped him in Brushy Creek.

An eyewitness account from Betty Rankins.

"I saw the man. He was pulling the dog and coming down the road wide open. He had a rope around his neck and it was obvious the dog couldn't stand up," Rankins said.

Maurice Cunningham is still in the county jail and WSFA 12 News was unable to reach his family to get their side of the story. The motive? Still not clear. Sarah Dyess is the President of the Monroe County Humane Society.

"I can't imagine why he would do this," said Dyess.

When investigators arrived they found the dog on the edge of Brushy Creek and the rope dangling from the bridge.

"Fortunately, he was able to swim out," said Dyess.

There is conflicting information over whether the dog is someone's pet or a stray. We do know the puppy is a Rotweiller mix, 8 months old and still hurting.

"He lost his pads," said Grider.

Dr. Grider guesses the dog has about two months to go before he's completely healed.

Cunningham's bond has been set at more than $100,000 and he could get 10 years in prison if he's convicted on the cruelty charges.

Investigators also charged the suspect with damaging the patrol car he was sitting in after his arrest at the scene. Authorities say he knocked out the back window and caused more than $800 worth of damage.

No decision has been made whether to allow the dog to be adopted out.
    WSFA 12 News Montgomery, AL |Monroe County Man In Jail On Animal Cruelty Charges

There's a video at the link.

Holy shit this pisses me the fuck off. How and why people do this to animals is beyond my understanding. Fortunately, the pup will survive and I hope he can find a good home.

As for the motherfucker that did this to him, I hope he gets it back tenfold.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

My God, I just don't understand it. I can't look at the video, I just can't do it.

Angry

OMG! This is unreal. WTF is wrong with these people!?

Gold Member

I watched the video. It shows you what the dogs looks like. Poor little thing. Glad he'll be okay.

What is wrong with people?

Poor baby. Looks so sad.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

ffs. Why do that to a dog? I just don't understand.

I wish he was here in Texas-our jerk to dog just got 3 years in the pen!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Poor thing

What authority do we write to about giving the fucker max punishment? How can we help to ruin him?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

^ Oh great idea, I wonder too!

Thumbs down

"He's still hurting"

Wish the same could be done to him, drag him naked then give him a beating. Animal laws are not strict enough

Monroeville man arrested in another dog-dragging incident

Saturday, September 06, 2008 By David Ferrara

Staff Reporter

Sheriff's deputies said that a Monroeville man recently dragged a dog behind an all-terrain vehicle for a mile and then dumped it in a creek.

The man is free on bond, while the 8-month-old dog is under the care of a Monroe County veterinarian.

On Aug. 25 witnesses saw a dog being dragged along a paved road behind an ATV in the Peterman area, a few miles north of Monroeville, according to Terry Mason, chief investigator for the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.

Monroe County District Attorney Tommy Chapman said that Cunningham, 20, was charged with first-degree animal cruelty, criminal mischief and second-degree receiving stolen property. Bail was set at $75,000 on the felony cruelty charge, $1,000 on the mischief charge, and $25,000 on the receiving stolen property charge.

"The people of this county will not tolerate such behavior ? mindless violence toward a defenseless animal ? by anyone," Chapman said. "Anyone who would treat an animal that way is capable of violence toward people."
    This case marked the second recent report in southwest Alabama of a dog having been dragged behind a vehicle.
    In Escambia County, the Sheriff's Office this week sought a group of men who dragged a pit bull terrier along Alabama 113 on Tuesday. That dog had to be euthanized.

The Humane Society of the United States is offering a reward up to $2,500 for information leading to the identification, arrest and conviction of those responsible in the Escambia case.

The dog dragged in Monroe County suffered injuries to his paws and sides, said Dyess, who was visiting the dog Friday at the clinic of veterinarian John Grider.

"My hope is that because of this situation, the one that happened with the pit bulls in Escambia County, it will bring to people's attention that there are laws against this and people will be charged and prosecuted," Dyess said.
    Dyess said witnesses reported seeing the dog "flip-flopping" in the road as the ATV pulled him along. It was unclear whether Cunningham might have owned the dog or whether the dog was a stray.

She said the dog was mild mannered and "did not seem to be aggressive at all, even with the pain he's been in."

Folks who have been taking care of the dog have yet to give him a name, Dyess said.

"We don't think Lucky's the right name because he wasn't lucky with what happened to him," Dyess said. "We hope that he's going to get lucky in getting a good home.

(Staff Reporter Connie Baggett contributed to this story.)
    I must have a case of Teh Dumb and cannot brain today. I Googled Monroe County District Attorney Tommy Chapman and can't come up with an email addy for him in that position. Surely there's something and I'm missing it?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Here's all of his contact info:

Tommy Chapman
    District Attorney
    Post Office Drawer 860

Evergreen, AL 36401-0860

Phone: (251) 578-4977
    Fax: (251) 578-9367

email: tommy_comm@bellsouth.net

There was another case in Flomaton, AL ... but unfortunately this one did NOT have a happy ending (it was mentioned in the original post):

Officials with the Humane Society of Escambia County, Ala., believe those responsible for dragging a pit bull behind a pickup near Flomaton may be from Louisiana or Mississippi.

Renee Jones, animal cruelty investigator and director of the Humane Society, said “Sam” the pit bull was euthanized due to the extent of injuries he suffered during the incident.

Investigators believe the vehicle dragging the dog was a black pickup, but a white Sport Utility Vehicle and a red car are also believed to be involved, Jones said.

A witness told investigators the suspect vehicles had Louisiana and Mississippi tags, but was unable to provide tag numbers, Jones said.

Humane Society officials were called Tuesday night to mile marker 5 on State Road 113 after construction workers noticed a group of three cars stop along the side of the road with the injured dog.

“At first, the construction crew member wasn’t sure what it was,” Jones said of the dog. “Then they saw Sam stumble over to a ditch and collapse.”

The dog’s ears were cropped very close to his head, and both his lower canines were broken off, even with his other teeth, suggesting the dog was used for fighting, Jones said.

Jones said another witness reported seeing vehicles matching the description of the suspects traveling south on I-65 shortly after the dog was found.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to contact the Escambia, Ala., Humane Society at 251-867-6860. Officials are offering a $2,800 reward for any information leading to an arrest and conviction.

Search | PensacolaNewsJournal.com

I hope they find these asswipes and castrate them!!

This makes me sick. I can never watch a video of this nature. These kids have nothing to do but this hideousness. Their punishment would be digging graves in the hot blistering sun, for all the poor little animals that died everyday at all of the kennels in the state for no less than 5 years.
    Into the sunrise. The sunset is sad to me….it only means the night is coming.

Thread Information