Thread: The panda that makes giving birth look easy

Default The panda that makes giving birth look easy

This sensational footage shows a giant panda giving birth to her cub at a Japanese zoo - making a normally traumatic process look easy.
    Twelve-year-old Tan Tan delivered the 25cm-long cub with apparent ease, popping her young out in one go.
    Following the birth, which happened at 3.46pm on Tuesday at Kobe Municipal Oji Zoo in Nada-Ku, the mother set about giving her newborn a good clean.

At one hair-raising point in the film the giant panda gets up and looks close to standing on her little addition - but disaster is averted and she returns to her maternal duties by giving the 100g bundle another lick or two.

The panda makes giving birth look easy as the cub slips out in one go
    The panda is the first to be successfully bred in Japan through artificial insemination in two decades and it is the first time a panda has given birth at the zoo.
    Zoo workers are still to determine the sex of the new arrival and are inviting the public to give it a name.

Oji Zoo carried out artificial insemination between Tan Tan and 12-year-old male giant panda Ko Ko between April and May.

Late last month, she began to show signs of being pregnant.
    The zoo has leased the two giant pandas from China for $1million a year under a contract that expires in 2010, and the zoo is required to give the baby to China within the next 18 months.

This is only the fourth time that a giant panda has given birth through artificial insemination in Japan since the first case at Ueno Zoological Gardens in 1988.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKtiXePWvVQ[/youtube]

VIDEO: The panda that makes giving birth look easy | Mail Online

lol it's funny how he just pops out.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I've heard that they just shoot out like that to give them a "wake up"! Like a slap on the butt or when a giraffe gives birth and the 6 foot drop makes the baby come to life....

That is so beautiful.

I wish giving birth was that easy. My son was 9 lbs. 4 oz. and right when he came out he peed straight up in the air and then quit crying. (just thought I would share)

I find animal births fascinating. They don't even gross me out. I have seen cows give birth and of course cats and dogs.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

I found it quite funny, how seconds after she gives birth she looks down in a kinda 'oh, wtf??' way.

Bad news I'm afraid,

I heard that this baby panda died 3 days later.

I was amazed the first time I saw how tiny a newborn giant panda is. I read the average is only 100 grams (less than a quarter of a pound), so it is not surprising the birthing looks so easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rondette View Post

Bad news I'm afraid,

I heard that this baby panda died 3 days later.
    NOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo

Oh what That's sad

A giant panda cub whose rare birth by artificial insemination led to rejoicing in Japan died on Friday after just three days, zoo officials said.
    The cub was the first panda to be born through artificial insemination in Japan in two decades, raising hopes of future success in breeding the crowd-pleasing but notoriously infertile animals.
    But Oji Zoo in the western city of Kobe said the cub was confirmed dead Friday afternoon.
    "Zoo officials and veterinarians were monitoring it 24 hours a day, but it ended with a sad result," the zoo said on its website.
    The cub was just 25 centimetres (10 inches) long and weighed 100 grammes (3.5 ounces).
    Its sex had not yet been determined, and zoo officials said the cause of death was under investigation.
    Captive giant pandas are known for their low sex drive, which is exacerbating falling numbers as their natural habitat in southwestern China is encroached on by development.
    Artificial insemination has also proved difficult as the female panda is only fertile once a year.
    The baby's mother, Dan Dan, became pregnant with the sperm of Xing Xing. Both pandas are 12 years old and live at the Kobe zoo.
    Dan Dan also had a stillborn baby, conceived through natural means, last year.

So, sad

The world needs more pandas

Thread Information