Thread: Dogs get beach of their own in Cyprus

Default Dogs get beach of their own in Cyprus

Sun seekers can enjoy the canine-friendly Ayia Napa beach with their pets Photo: Getty Images

The off-lead paradise is the island's first where people and their pets can enjoy the sun and sea without upsetting other beachgoers.
    Ayia Napa's mayor, Antonis Tsokkos, said: "It's a place primarily for dogs, not people, and we hope they have a nice time there."
    Cyprus is the only state in Europe to formally ban pet dogs from beaches.
    Mr Tsokkos said: "We had to meet an urgent request from the government to find an area for animals, councillors all agreed on a location last month and are very happy with it."
    Local residents have been blamed for a spate of dog poisonings that have seen eight dogs die on the small island this year.
    In June a 50-year-old man and his dog were killed in Paphos after arguing with another resident who was angry at the dog's presence on the beach. As the man was walking away with his dog, the second man jumped into his car and ran them over, killing both instantly.
    George Perdikis of Cyprus' Green party said: "There is a lot of hostility towards dogs on this island and it's part of a mentality that goes back years. Very often you'll see fights erupt between people who take their little dogs to beaches and other residents who just can't stand them being there."

Dogs get beach of their own in Cyprus - Telegraph

Wow, that picture surely can't be where the animals are allowed? It's so beautiful, I'd think they'd give dogs a part of the beach that isn't as nice.

Why do they hate dogs so much? Is it because bad dog owners let them poop everywhere? I love my dog, but it gets me when people just leave poop there. It ain't gonna clean itself up, moron. And someone's gonna step in it, get sick, etc.

All of the beaches in Cyprus are just gorgeous.

I didn't know they had such a negative attitude, I didn't notice anything when I was living there. People are irresponsible and don't pick up after their dogs and that's particularly bad at the beach with all the surprises buried in the sand. I see dogs all the time in Greek beaches though, some of them strays. People tolerate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Wow, that picture surely can't be where the animals are allowed? It's so beautiful, I'd think they'd give dogs a part of the beach that isn't as nice.
    Dogs deserve much more, and much better than humans, imo.

In June a 50-year-old man and his dog were killed in Paphos after arguing with another resident who was angry at the dog's presence on the beach. As the man was walking away with his dog, the second man jumped into his car and ran them over, killing both instantly.
    How are people so cruel, it boggles the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspberry gashes View Post
    How are people so cruel, it boggles the mind.
    Me too. Surely there has to be more to the story...I mean I couldn't imagine what could have gotten the man so angry to actually run someone over.

I want to take Fin to the beach now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Thread Information