Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8 things your pet shouldn't eat

Quote Originally Posted by misrule View Post
    It's odd, but alot of vets either disagree or just plain don't know about many of these. I had one vet who gave me a recipe for home made dog food containing garlic, and another (24 hr emergency vet) who I called frantically after my carnage dog got into my handbag and ate my chewing gum, terrified she'd get Xylitol poisoning, and he said there were worse things the dog could eat, all that would happen is that she would have fresh breath for the night!!
    See, when an entire group of educated and knowledgeable professionals can't agree on something, it raises my skepticism.

I guess I view this sort of thing with a bit of restraint: if a dog could die by eating 1 or 2 raisens or Macadamia nuts, half a chocolate bar or some leftover Italian food, there would be no disagreement among vets. We'd ALL know someone who had lost a dog because of those things. Dogs and cats eat them every day. Hell I bet someone out there has a pet digging in the garbage right now, looking for the takeout whilst you're on the computer.

I'm sure these things pose a greater risk to those with 3lb teacup Chihuahuas and whatnot. But for those of us with regular-size pets, I tend to think this sort of thing is just hysteria-inducing and not so helpful. Its good to keep in mind that these things are not good for pets, but to go so far as to say that basic foods that animals have been eating for centuries are a poison and could cause death... thats a bit much.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It's not food, but I'd definitely add keep the cats away from anything containing eucalyptus.

I had a cat who'd steal the turtle's tomatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    I'm sure these things pose a greater risk to those with 3lb teacup Chihuahuas and whatnot. But for those of us with regular-size pets, I tend to think this sort of thing is just hysteria-inducing and not so helpful. Its good to keep in mind that these things are not good for pets, but to go so far as to say that basic foods that animals have been eating for centuries are a poison and could cause death... thats a bit much.
    Word. My family and I have been taking in strays for as long as I can remember and they've been always healthy as horses eating all of the regular, "non-recommended" food we make at home instead of buying the "only feed the what's sold in packages and is specially balanced for animals" bullcrap.
    Last edited by MaryJane; December 30th, 2009 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Our lab ate a whole chocolate bunny and a whole box of Hostess Ding Dongs and never got sick either. Maybe it reacts more with small dogs?
    When I was a teenager, my mom's toy poodle chewed through the box of a wrapped gigantic Hershey's kiss and demolished about half of it. She took him to the vet right away fearing the worst, but he was fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali View Post
    See, when an entire group of educated and knowledgeable professionals can't agree on something, it raises my skepticism.

If it was all true, then my dog would have been dead a hundred times over by now - but then my fatty boom batty dog weighs almost 40kg so there's probably a difference between her and the smaller pups - she's also had about 6 paralysis ticks on her at a time and lived to tell the tale, but she was abandoned and scavenged on the streets for god knows how long before we got her, so she's pretty sturdy. She's even eaten cooked chicken bones (and an entire carcass. A few times ... we learned the hard way if you're going to turn your back on a dinner plate, keep it out of the dogs reach!)

I just figure that she'll end up eating the wrong things somehow, one way or another, because she's mental, but my emergency vet is always happy to take a call, even though 90% of the time he laughs it off and says there's nothing to worry about. It's safest to do that than to google if she eats something I think might be wrong, because googling usually generates about 300 stories of 'this killed my dog'...
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

I rescued a Jack Russell Terrier whose previous owner fed him chocolate M&Ms regularly (and threw him around like a football and against walls). The dog survived but came to me big as a dog house and a nasty temperament that was overcome with love and patience on my part. No more chocolate and his weight stabilized - he lived to 17.

I knew about everything on this list but avocados - oops. No more avocado tuna salad leftovers for my current JRT. Fortunately, he seems none worse for the wear.

Yep. My sister's cat ate an etire huge slice of the 1,001 Choclate Chip Cake from Steak & Ale, and was none the worse for wear. Maybe the evil in her rendered her immune

I was told by an herbalist once that you can give your dog garlic for flea repellent...if you google there seem to be a few people who do this. I don't know if I buy this whole list, though I'm careful with what I give my animals.
    here I am, rock you like a hurricane.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information