I guess I view this sort of thing with a bit of restraint: if a dog could die by eating 1 or 2 raisens or Macadamia nuts, half a chocolate bar or some leftover Italian food, there would be no disagreement among vets. We'd ALL know someone who had lost a dog because of those things. Dogs and cats eat them every day. Hell I bet someone out there has a pet digging in the garbage right now, looking for the takeout whilst you're on the computer.
I'm sure these things pose a greater risk to those with 3lb teacup Chihuahuas and whatnot. But for those of us with regular-size pets, I tend to think this sort of thing is just hysteria-inducing and not so helpful. Its good to keep in mind that these things are not good for pets, but to go so far as to say that basic foods that animals have been eating for centuries are a poison and could cause death... thats a bit much.