Thread: Meet Aussie the goldfish who swims upside down

Default Meet Aussie the goldfish who swims upside down

These days pet fish come in all shapes, sizes and colours. Indeed, the ordinary goldfish has come to seem just that.

But Aussie, who shares a tank on pub bar, is rarely viewed with indifference. In fact, she is rather a star attraction.

She has spent the last four years of her life upside down and - as far as anyone can tell - is perfectly comfortable with this.
    'We've had her checked out and she's in good health - I suppose she just likes to see the world from that point of view,' said her owner landlord Liam Matthews, 53.

Enlarge
    Something fishy: Aussie swims in her tank
    He bought the goldfish from a pet shop in 2004 and says she has since become something of a tourist attraction. Mr Matthews said: 'When I bought Aussie she was swimming normally but six months later she was swimming about upside down. She seems happy enough.'

Aussie shares a tank on the bar at the Globe Inn, near Exeter, with another fish Eddie - who swims normally.

Different strokes: Aussie and her right-way-up companion Eddie at the Globe Inn
    'It's quite funny to see Eddie swimming the right way while Aussie is going round the tank upside down,' said Mr Matthews.
    He admitted there is another mystery about his inverted pet - whether she is really a she.
    He said: 'We're still not sure of its a male or a female but we call her 'she' because she just looks like a woman.'
    Mr Matthews revealed he recently had a visit from an RSPCA inspector after an anonymous caller complained about the fish's health.
    But he said: 'The inspector told us the fish didn't seem stressed at all. It's crazy that we had a complaint about our fish - she seems to be having a great time.'

'She's a legend': Liam Matthews looks fondly at Aussie his upside-down fish
    Fish experts say the condition is caused by a deficiency in the fish's swim bladder - a gas-filled sac in the dorsal portion of the body which stimulates buoyancy.
    Swim bladder problems are caused by an infection or are hereditary - meaning Aussie may have been given the condition by her parents.
    Jeremy Smale, local tropical fish expert, said: ''Swimming upside down can indicate a problem with the swim bladder but it doesn't mean the animal is any distress.
    'It is probably very healthy. I wouldn't expect it to be in any pain at all.'

Meet Aussie the goldfish who swims upside down | Mail Online

*giggles*
    very sweet!

How adorable.
    I have some goldfish and I enjoy watching them. They like to spit rocks all evening.

My buddy "Butch" just died last week. I had him for almost 5 years.

I had a beautiful fish with a swim bladder infection - she swam upside down for a few days and then died *sob*

It was kinda cool right up until the death part.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    How adorable.
    I have some goldfish and I enjoy watching them. They like to spit rocks all evening.

My buddy "Butch" just died last week. I had him for almost 5 years.
    Aww, sorry about Butch. It's funny how we can become attached to our fish. I know our fish like to 're-decorate' the tank after it gets cleaned. Looks like crap when they're done
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

^ Thanks! It really upset my husband too, he loved to sit back and watch him.
    Ours are bad about that too, they just bull through everything.

It is fairly common for fantails to have problems with this.

References - Swim Bladder Disease in Goldfish

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

that is so funny
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information