Thread: Having a problem with feral cats

Default Having a problem with feral cats

Last nite I was coming home and I always stop by this school, where I once met the most affectionate homeless cat, or so I thought he was homeless. Usually a lot of cats are on the grounds, so I stop by to say hi.

A woman was there. Turns out she feeds at least 12 feral cats PLUS a litter of kittens every nite, like clockwork. She has been doing it for 4 years. Fabulous!

Offered to help, and of course I will. But the bigger problem is: some of the females are spayed and the males aren't fixed. So of course, when they get horny, whatever you call it, they find new females and the cycle continues.

I don't know how to begin to trap feral cats, and they have her trust, not mine. I know in England there is an agency that supports spay/neutering through Europe, but I only know of the "Cat Santuary" in Roma that works with them.

I think that's the key to breaking this cycle; have them all fixed. But I'm a little overwhelmed with my new project. Ideas?

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

I don't think it is feasible to try to fix all the cats, too expensive, and you are bound to miss a few.

A person can rent traps from the animial shelter and capture the cats.

Although I know a person who taught his cats about the traps so that they would avoid capture.

Thank you for recognizing the issue of feral cats and your willingness to help. I work for an animal rescue organization and this is something we deal with all the time. We maintain feral colonies, where we trap, neuter, give medical care, and return the animals to live out their normal lives if they are wild. We'll also build shelters and feed them daily. Sometimes people dump their pets and they'll join these colonies, but they will remain friendly to humans. We'll clean them up, give them medical attention and try to adopt them out, along with kittens that are young enough to be acclimated to humans.

To trap, we set up "have a heart" traps, which close after the animal steps in to retrieve a piece of food at the far end. Initially, we will set up traps without the trigger mechanism so the animals get used to going in there to get the food and come out again. We will recommend doing this for awhile because you want to be sure that there are not young kittens somewhere being left behind if a mom is trapped. You will need to keep an eye out for this as best as you can. In the traps, you place "smelly" food - such as wet canned cat food to attract them. You may attract a wild animal though so try to not place any food out after dark, which is when they will usually come out.

There are organizations in the US that will help with this kind of effort, although in Italy I'm not sure how this works. They will provide the traps, man-power, and possibly low/no-cost spay and neutering programs. Once they are freed back into the wild, shelters can be built and the person you know, you, and other volunteers can help to feed them. For the ones who are friendly, maybe the organization can help to try and adopt them out.

This is definately a lot of work but rewarding, if you are into animal welfare. If we each do a little, it can add up to a lot!

My sis and her hubby are working on this right now in New Orleans. Their backyard has become a haven for a mama cat and her adorable litter. So far,they have gotten them to actually come in their house & play-They have been moving ever-so-slowly,working on trust. They feel if they can just catch mama cat & get her into the vet the kitties might follow suit. She realizes they will always be outdoor cats, but has to get them semi-trained so she can take them with her should another hurricane come. They have brought her so much joy! If I could give kitty medals,they would have them. She lost both dogs and both cats in 2 years following Katrina. Her heart was too broken for pets,until now. Yea,Kittehs!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

What's a SNAP?

Thanks for the help. Those little babies are going to be scared, but it's better in the long run. I'm on it!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Spay neuter assistance program; my other post is a link... that is obviously retarded... Spay-Neuter Assistance Program: Welcome!
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Also look into local TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) operations. I know many shelters do not want to take in feral cats because they are too wild to be domesticated. Good luck and thanks for recognizing the problem. There is one race track in WV where they have a severe problem and have had for over 10 years. The owners do not want to do anything about it so they "supposedly" told maintenance workers to just shoot the cats. It just makes me sick...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

^Thanks. Might be easier if I were in the States, but I'm not so I have to find ways to help these little creatures.

I worked in WV out of college and I don't even want to think of what they do to animals. People there don't even treat other people well!

On the plus side, I adopted two cats from the shelter; one was fully declawed....all four paws.

The other is still with me and a great friend, almost 12 years later!

I'm on it! Thanks for all the help!

Zee

We have a colony in our neighborhood. I used to trap and neuter whatever we could catch until I was bit by one. Took antibiotics for a month and was almost hospitalized (refused to go). Put an end to my efforts. I wish you all the best of luck but please be careful.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Samantha, check out this article. I don't know where in Italy you live, but maybe this org could help, or at least point you in the right direction.

Italy: Her group has spayed and neutered nearly 40,000 animals. Meet our International Rescuer of the Week.

I used to rent traps from thye local humane society and take feral tom cats and unfixed females in. They work pretty well, but I don't know if they have the same type of thing in Italy.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    Samantha, check out this article. I don't know where in Italy you live, but maybe this org could help, or at least point you in the right direction.

Italy: Her group has spayed and neutered nearly 40,000 animals. Meet our International Rescuer of the Week.

This actually works out well, thanks. I contacted them and they were already here this summer in my town on the sea, just outside of Roma. So maybe I can work with them, as they are already set up with traps, and neuter/spay and microchip.

Thanks.
    "You can't date your fuck buddy."

Thread Information