Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making your own dog food?

Default Making your own dog food?

I'm getting a puppy. A huge puppy. 11 weeks old and already 25 pounds. I'm interested in making my own dog food because frankly with the recalls awhile back and the general retardation of most dog food companies - I just don't trust them.

All that being said, I'm not some crazy hippie that thinks I can feed her just rice and love. I want to make sure I'm giving her the right levels of carbs and protein, calcium and nutrients, etc.

Googling provides a wealth of information, but most of it is contradictory. I have an appt with the vet on the 19th and will ask him then, but I'm wondering if any of you have made your own dog food or have any reputable information about what a large breed dog (I mean large ... mastiff large) should get nutritionally.

I feed raw, and it has been such a remarkable difference on my pets (2 dogs and 2 cats) we started them with ground raw and now they get meaty bones and a mix of other meats/fish. it is daunting at first, but once you get yourself into a groove, it's a cinch.

Vets don't have very much knowledge about nutrition. The stuff they DO know is b/c it was represented by dog food companies... most vets will push you to buy whatever food they sell in their clinics b/c they get kickbacks from the manufacturer. Unless your vet is well versed in feeding natural, i would take their advice on food with a grain of salt.

Dr. Pitcairn is a DVM who now practices Holistically. His book has recipes and advice. http://www.drpitcairn.com/
    he is a well respected vet and the book has a lot of information.

my advice when feeding naturally is to read! read! read!
    This is a great forum to get info too
    Whole Dog Forums

another awesome site for information... it has a TON of articles on everything animal health related
    Natural Cures - Holistic Health for People and Animals

Elphie, thanks so much for the links ... I'm off to read!

Also, thanks for the heads up about the vets .. I hadn't thought about who was lining their pockets (damn corruption)!

We made our own food for a while during the recall...the cats were tough for us. For Josie, our dog, we used chicken thighs because chicken breasts are way too lean. We also used brown rice, carrots, peas, apples, etc. We cooked everything.

Elphie is right, vets know very little about pet nutrition. They recommend Science Diet, which has corn meal and chicken by product listed as it's first few ingredients. Try to find a holistic vet and they can help you with raw food or other diets.

We feed a good, dry kibble with added meats, fruits and fresh veggies.

waiting for the Madam to return with the whip

Good luck with the dog food making. If my dog has a lick, honestly a lick, of anything besides her regular dog food she has the shits EVERYWHERE!
    She's not a beggar though.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    We made our own food for a while during the recall...the cats were tough for us. For Josie, our dog, we used chicken thighs because chicken breasts are way too lean. We also used brown rice, carrots, peas, apples, etc. We cooked everything.

Elphie is right, vets know very little about pet nutrition. They recommend Science Diet, which has corn meal and chicken by product listed as it's first few ingredients. Try to find a holistic vet and they can help you with raw food or other diets.

We feed a good, dry kibble with added meats, fruits and fresh veggies.

My friend's dog was allergic to Science Diet...

I bought a big bag of Pedigree so Elmo's been eating that for a long time now. It's easier to just add to dog food than cook from scratch.
    Like you, I add other meats, fruits (usually berries, his poop turns blue when I give him blueberries ) and veggies.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Dog Feeding Info <-- info about adding fresh to kibble.

i have to say one thing about kibble; most of it is garbage. they use fillers that are not natural for a dog or cat like corn. wheat or even soy, and awful byproducts (hair, beak, legs and whatever else is in the rendering bin) and they often use dead, dying or diseased animals. it's common practice. that site i posted earlier in this thread shirley's wellness cafe, has many article about what goes in pet food and what to look for. as well as the listing of GOOD food.

Innova is a human grade food (meaning the meat used is fit for human consumption) and they have their own plant now since the recall (they were not one of the brands recalled, this was a precaution on their part)

anyhow, moomies, no offense, but Pedigree is not that great of a food. if you look at the label, the first three ingredients are filler. they also use BHA and BHT to preserve (known to cause cancer)

please take a look at those links and get your baby on a great food. it costs more, but you feed less and they end up pooping less too (less fillers)

I feed Science Diet lite for my Pug, but she also gets lots of fresh veggies and fruits and lean meats.
    I will look at that Innova, thanks for the info.

My dogs breeder insisted on Exceed-you get it at Sam's Club for 16 bucks. A BIG bag. His coat is wonderful!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by moomies View Post
    My friend's dog was allergic to Science Diet...

I bought a big bag of Pedigree so Elmo's been eating that for a long time now. It's easier to just add to dog food than cook from scratch.
    Like you, I add other meats, fruits (usually berries, his poop turns blue when I give him blueberries ) and veggies.
    That's funny...Elmo has blue poop!!! Josie has little peas in her poop. She loves sugar snap peas and cucumbers!!!

We feed Josie Natural Balance. It's an All-Stages food and it's lower in protein for big dogs and older dogs.

Hmm. I though my big poodle was odd because he loves salad. Guess not!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

Vets will tell you not to feed pets human food because of all the health problems it will cause them. Well hello, how did domestic animals survive thousands of years before Purina was invented? They ate meat, that's how. I've never had a problem giving my dogs human food. Three times a week I give my German Shepherd a mix of cooked hamburger and rice with some chopped up green beans. She loves it and her coat is super glossy.

Awesome thread.

My boy has been turning his nose up at the dog food I've been giving him the last several nights. He is off to the vets for a check up, just in case. But the stuff I buy him smells RANK. Vomit worthy.

I would much rather make it myself.
    ssabmud

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Elphie View Post
    Innova is a human grade food (meaning the meat used is fit for human consumption) and they have their own plant now since the recall (they were not one of the brands recalled, this was a precaution on their part)

anyhow, moomies, no offense, but Pedigree is not that great of a food. if you look at the label, the first three ingredients are filler. they also use BHA and BHT to preserve (known to cause cancer)

I've heard of Innova. And no offense taken, I didn't buy Pedigree for the quality (poor Elmo LOL) they had some kind of a charity thing like for every bag you buy they donate whatever to SPCA? KrisNine posted something about that before?

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    That's funny...Elmo has blue poop!!! Josie has little peas in her poop. She loves sugar snap peas and cucumbers!!!

We feed Josie Natural Balance. It's an All-Stages food and it's lower in protein for big dogs and older dogs.

I've tried Natural Balance. I used to buy smaller bags so I'd try out different dog food but this Pedigree bag, I bought a jumbo size so it will be a while til I get a different brand.

Yea dogs do eat veggies. McJag, Elmo eats salad, too. I've given him lettuce and celery (he didn't like the taste so much but I think he liked the crunchiness).

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Have a read through this site, it may be informative for you

What is BARF

BARF stands for Bones And Raw Food or Biologically Appropriate Raw Food, depending on which books you read. The basic principle is to feed a diet that the animals have evolved to eat, or to put it another way AS NATURE INTENDED.
    Some people disagree with BARF, but the more information you gain the more it makes sense. It is advisable to do your own research in order to make up your own mind.
    Dogs & cats survived for thousands of years without a pet food manufacturer in sight there are records of wolves living to in excess of 35 years of age! We all imagine dogs living pampered lives in modern civilized countries, but believe it or not they are also thriving in African villages, wild in Oz as Dingoes, still hunting prey in deserts, and so on and no, they don’t have yellow, filthy plaque-encrusted teeth or gingivitis.
    Dogs and cats in the wild lived off whole carcasses including the internal organs, and the content of the stomach which usually contains ground down, partially digested vegetation containing essential nutrients.
    A BARF feeding diet is as close to nature as we can get with the right mix your pets will live a happier healthy life. We hope this information helps you on your way.

UK BARF Club - What is a BARF Diet?

My dogs love to crunch on carrots as treats, but then as labs they will eat anything

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information