Thread: The abandoned baby red panda being nursed back to health by a zookeeper's cat

Default The abandoned baby red panda being nursed back to health by a zookeeper's cat

A house cat nursing her own kittens has adopted a baby red panda abandoned by its mother.

The panda's mother, Gladys, rejected her two cubs after they were born on June 30.

"She left them there, lying in the cold," said a spokesman for the Artis zoo in Amsterdam, Holland.

Tuck in: The Dutch tabby cat nurses an orphaned red panda cub in Amsterdam
    The zoo initially kept the cubs in an incubator. But a keeper's tabby cat had just given birth to four kittens, and let the two panda cubs join the crowd.

One of the cubs was too weak and died last Thursday.

The surviving cub is still smaller than the kittens, who were born three days before her. However, if she survives to be an adult, she will be slightly larger than a cat.

The cub will drink milk for about three months, after which she can start eating bamboo and fruit, the spokesman added.

The cub doesn't have a name yet, but the zoo says that, through its adoption program, anyone willing to sponsor her will be allowed to name her.

The red panda is an endangered species that lives in China, Bhutan, Nepal, India, and Burma.

It has a striped tail like a raccoon and is only distantly related to the much larger giant panda.

Enlarge
    Grown up: What the little red panda will look like when it grows up

Pictured: The abandoned baby red panda being nursed back to health by a zookeeper's cat | Mail Online

I love red pandas(wallpaper on my palm), and when I saw this story on the news I thought it was so sweet, and sad.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

red pandas are sooo cute
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

oh all that fluff in the first picture....very cute!! arrhhhh....

how freakin' adorable! red pandas are so cute! I spoke with the red panda keeper at our zoo and he said they are very gentle and they poop a lot!

Thread Information