Thread: Animal shelter mistakenly euthanizes family pet

Default Animal shelter mistakenly euthanizes family pet

Animal shelter mistakenly euthanizes family pet - Pet health - MSNBC.com

VIENNA TOWNSHIP, Michigan - The nearly 2-year-old black lab escaped from home and bit a woman.
    But Junior's punishment wasn't supposed to be a death sentence.
    Animal Control officials in Michigan have apologized to Anette Hetzer for accidentally euthanizing her dog last week. The dog had been quarantined at the county's animal shelter to observe for signs of rabies after he escaped from Hetzer's home north of Flint on June 9 and bit the woman. Hetzer's husband received a ticket for a leash law violation.

"He was the sweetest dog," Hetzer told The Flint Journal for a story published Wednesday. "It doesn't seem right. This was a family dog almost like a family member. ... He shouldn't have died like that."
    Animal Control interim director Mary Conaton said the dog's death was caused when a worker misread a card on Junior's cage and took the wrong animal for the lethal injection.
    The county's Board of Commissioners is working on recommendations for changes at the shelter, which include updating the animal tracking system.
    Hetzer said the hardest part is explaining the loss to her 2-year-old son.
    "He is really heartbroken," she said. "He wants his dog to come home."

SVZ

oh no....that is....

if he was quarantined, was he microchipped? that would have answered a lot of questions.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I'm sorry for the family but now at least it won't bite anyone again.

arg i would sue their ass. i mean everyone think my dog would bite cause of her bark but as the saying is her bark is worse then her bite. she wouldnt bite. she is the one that would check you out then bite.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I'm sorry for the family but now at least it won't bite anyone again.
    We don't know how severe the bite was, or if the dog was provoqued.

I suppose if your cat scratched someone while she was out, you'd be ok with her being euthanized then?
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Oh, please. My Mitsuko would never scratch anyone. It's not in her nature.

And when we say provoked, what is acceptable provocation?

Don't mean to step on dog lover toes here (except I'm totally doing that) animals that bite shouldn't be out in the streets. Yes, the shelter was monumentally stupid for euthanising because some person can't read a card correctly and it is a tragedy for the family. Sorry for not crying for them. If my animal harmed someone I'd put it down. I could be next. Don't fancy ending up needing a face transplant.

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Oh, please. My Mitsuko would never scratch anyone. It's not in her nature.

And when we say provoked, what is acceptable provocation?

Don't mean to step on dog lover toes here (except I'm totally doing that) animals that bite shouldn't be out in the streets. Yes, the shelter was monumentally stupid for euthanising because some person can't read a card correctly and it is a tragedy for the family. Sorry for not crying for them. If my animal harmed someone I'd put it down. I could be next. Don't fancy ending up needing a face transplant.
    About your first comment-well, that's what most pet lovers say about their pets.

As for provoked, I do mean threatened/intimidated/its tail stepped on. Like I said, I don't know the specifics.

And the dog wasn't exactly roaming the streets because it was a usual event-it had escaped from home. Anyone can lose an animal in just one moment of inattention. It's a regrettable mistake, but hardly criminal neglect.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

Silver Member

Angry

there are several types of mircochips and not every shelter and vet office has the different types of readers for the chips

there was a bill in congress to fix the problem -i don't how far the bill or attachement has gotten

this problem is more common then people think

i had a co-worker's dad 's cat was put to sleep before the deadline

It's a shame that any animal gets put down, family pet or not. If it wasn't this dog, it would've been another dog. My heart breaks for all of them.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I wish I hadn't read that. I'm boo hooing over here.

That is so sad

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    if he was quarantined, was he microchipped? that would have answered a lot of questions.
    I'm not so sure about the microchips anymore. Several weeks ago my cat got out (indoor cat) and was picked up and taken to the pound. She was there for 3 days before I found her. The truck that picked her up scanned her chip and gave that info to the pound, but the pound NEVER called me. I went there twice looking for her and they told me that didn't have her. Only when she was transferred to the adoption side of the pound did someone notice on her papers my contact info and call me.

I was so pissed. She didn't have to be there more than a few hours but she was there three days and when I picked her up she had contracted kennel cough and cost me an extra $65 to take her to the vet and get medicine.

I think the only reason they 'kept' her so long was so they could rack up the boarding fees. Assholes.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^ 3 days?? That is really stupid, you must have been so worried, I'd probably have been really shouty at them

Kennel cough is horrible, Bella (my dog) had it couple years ago, never been in kennels so must have got it from a walk?!, and was ill for about a month I hope your cat is OK now

Off topic slightly, I have heard of microchips slipping into other body parts, mainly legs, so I guess when some shelters do the quick scan over where the chip should be it can be missed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

This is a sad story. Shelters usually want to reunite pets and their families. What an unfortunate mistake. Nothing I would think is sue worthy though. At the end of the day, it is the pet owner's responsibility to maintain control of their animal. If the pet owner had done that then no bite would have occurred and the dog would be alive. If anyone has a right to sue (based on information available) I would say it was the person bitten.

Thread Information