Thread: Rent-a-dog woman has animal welfare chiefs snapping at her heels

Default Rent-a-dog woman has animal welfare chiefs snapping at her heels

It is the ultimate luxury for the time-poor and wealthy who want the status of walking a flamboyant dog without the hassle of hair on the carpet or dealing with fleas.
    Gucci, an 18-month-old Pomeranian, can be rented once a week for £279 a month. He is the first of a dog fleet for hire in Britain.
    Flexpetz, an American venture already established in Los Angeles, San Diego and New York, is coming to London, with plans for Glasgow later this year.
    Dozens of people in the capital have expressed interest in the scheme. Under the rules of the company only five people can share Gucci, the only dog on the books. More dogs will be recruited in the summer and matched with part-time pet owners by Pippa Woollard, the Flexpetz facilitator.

Ms Woollard, who lives in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, declined to say how Gucci was acquired, but she made clear he was well cared for and lived with a family that had other dogs on the outskirts of London. She has introduced him to his new companions in orientation sessions in Hyde Park. None of the subscribers was willing to speak to The Times.
    Ms Woollard said that she would check the credentials of all potential dog tenants and visit their homes. “I like to get to know them before they are accepted and would not allow a dog with anyone who gave me cause for concern.”
    She accepted that the hire charges in Britain were high – £99 for a monthly subscription plus £45 for each of the four days. In the US the same service is on offer for $279.95 (about £144) a month.
    “It is just much more expensive in Britain to own a dog. We have to ensure the correct veterinary treatments and checks are made and pet food is also dear,” she said.
    She would not disclose whether the dogs’ primary carers were paid but said that all the dogs to rent were owned by Flexpetz.
    Although animal welfare and care for the dogs appears to be a priority for the service, Ms Woollard appeared unaware of the anxiety her service has created among experts. The RSPCA and the Dogs Trust have been trying to contact her to discuss the details of the scheme, so far without success.

The organisations also suggest that anyone wishing to spend time with a dog should contact a dogs’ home and help to walk dogs or foster dogs for a short period until they are rehomed.
    David McDowell, a veterinary adviser at the RSPCA, said that he was “extremely concerned” about the Flexpetz rent-a-pet service.
    “There will almost certainly be an emotional impact for the dogs as they are moved from owner to owner and from home to home. Most dogs need the security of a proper routine with one owner and without this they could become stressed and unhappy.”
    Sarah Carlin, a spokeswoman for the Dogs Trust, said: “Who does this service really benefit? Dogs need a stable routine and a constant owner to bond with and whilst the various ‘owners’ may provide treats and affection, the charity is concerned about the emotional impact on the dogs involved.”
    Local authorities are also concerned that the business should be licensed. Deborah Bradfield, an animal health inspector at the City of London Corporation, which handles animal issues for London boroughs, believes that national guidance must be developed.
    “Our view is that it is not right for a dog to be palmed off to five people. There is no reason for this business to exist except to make money. We also believe the people who rent the dogs should be licensed because in reality they are dog sitters and they are boarding a dog.”
    She said that both functions required a licence under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963. Costs vary but £200 a year is not uncommon. Ms Woollard said that she would check the legal requirements.

Rent-a-dog woman has animal welfare chiefs snapping at her heels - Times Online

i dont agree with her doing this at all. the poor dogs have to be confused at different people walking them. it'd be like renting out your kid. stupid idea.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Stupid idea, not very fair to the animals. Someone shallow enough to only want an animal sometimes at their own convenience has zero business with an animal at all.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I don't agree with profitting off of animals, especially when someone could easily torture them for the sick fun of it. It's selfish.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

That's horrid. Dogs are pack animals, that's how they bond and interact. They need a pack with a clear heirarchy.

Depriving that dog of a family, a pack, is torture for them.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Thumbs down

I agree with you all

Thread Information