Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My cat just died in a freak accident

Bronze Member

Default My cat just died in a freak accident

A little over a year ago, my husband was adopted by a young stray black cat. He was one of those exceptional cats that are just loaded with personality. Never aloof like many cats, a very rough and tumble kind of character who ALWAYS wanted to be right beside us. About three hours ago, he was on my legs as I was lying in bed and he fell off. He falls off things frequently because he is just one of those very active types - only about two and a half years old. Anyway, he fell off the bed and he hit the bed stepstool, had a few convulsions, and died right there. I have never even heard of such a thing. We rushed his body to the emergency clinic to see if they could offer any theories as to what might have killed him but they wouldn't without a necropsy. He will be cremated and we will get his ashes.
    I can't even believe this has happened. I have never heard of anything like this. We have 10 animals - including two other cats and two dogs. We got him accidentally - he got us actually. Far and away he was my favorite even though he was our newest pet. There was just such a joy about him and he loved us so much. I can't believe this. Has anyone ever even heard of anything similar? I think I am in shock. I am sobbing as I type this but it still has this surreal, "it can't really have happened" thing to it.
    He was my husband's cat since he chose my husband late at night at the stadium after a high school soccer game. Just followed him out to his car and sat waiting for him to open the car door and invite him in. My husband is an absolute wreck.

Oh-this is just heart breaking! I am so sorry this has happened to you. Bless his little heart. You will never know what he was exposed to before he found you. He may have fallen because he was already gone,poor baby. Please hug you husband and just try to get through this awful night. He was loved and knew it-not all cats are so lucky. Hugs!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Bronze Member

Oh my god, that's awful. I'm keeping you in my thoughts. Take care and allow yourself to grieve.

I'm so sorry. You were all lucky to have each other.

Eli

Crankybroad I am so sorry. This is the most awful thing I have ever heard.
    At least he died while happy, being with loved ones.

Sorry to hear that. However, when cats fall, don't they always land on their feet? McJag could be onto something that that's why your cat fell--cos he was ill.

Don't be upset. Just think of the joy he brought into your lives and especially the love and affection you and hubby provided him up until the very quick end. Sometimes angels come in all forms--they do what they have to do on earth and they they leave.

Oh my God! How terrible! Brain aneurism, heart attack, something must have happened to your Sweetie very quickly. Please take some comfort that it was very fast, so sorry that this happened.
    Beauty is in the Eye of the Beholder

He was probably ill, a simple fall wouldn't do that. I'm really sorry for this and my heart goes out to you and your husband. It's never easy losing a pet.

Sorry

A*O

What a sad story! You must be in shock, especially your husband. It's easy to say "these things happen" and it won't bring you any comfort but at least your cat wasn't struck down by some lingering illness or disability so perhaps try to focus on the fact he didn't suffer. Take care and look after the other animals who I'm sure will also be feeling his loss.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Eli

Crankybroad, have a quick little read of this. It's my story, 100% honest and I mean, make of it what you will. I just hope it makes you feel a little better in this awful place you must be in:

Supernatural Cat

Bronze Member

Thank you all. I really appreciate the kind words. The worst part is probably my husband. He LOVED that cat and felt such pride that he had "picked" him. He is just a mess. What a crappy Father's Day. He also made an unfunny joke about our black cat dying in an particularly unlucky manner on Friday the 13th.
    Anyway, I would prefer to believe he had some sort of neurological episode - stroke? aneurysm? The bed is a little high so we have a two-step stool beside it. He hit the corner of the stool with the side of his head as he fell The step he hit is probably a little over a foot down from the top of the bed. The entire distance is less than three feet. I think it was just such bad luck he hit that stool in such a way - the distance he had fallen wasn't enough for him to have "righted" himself. I was reading and didn't look up at him until he fell. He has on my leg, fell and I looked up and saw him hit the stool and floor so I didn't see what happened when he began to fall, if he just stumbled or if he had convulsions BEFORE he hit. He was a bit clumsy.
    Our other cats are 12 and 10 and I truly love both of them, but they are more typically cat-like. They kind-of do their own thing. I love them, but they are not constantly on or with me. Milton always wanted to be right with us. We have two large dogs that are always underfoot and sleep with us. Milton would just climb in there between them and squeeze in. All five of us in one queen size bed. He hung with the dogs much to the dogs irritation because the dogs were always with us and he always wanted to be with us. He had loads of adorable habits. He liked to lie on the backs of the couches getting as flat as possible (we called him "flat cat") so he could swat you on the rear when you passed. He loved to push loud things off of tables, desks, dressers, and like a kid he would watch you as he did it to see if you were going to react. Just last weekend he had a particularly good time pushing candles off or our dresser to wake us up.

I am so sorry to hear about your poor baby. It seems like it was just one of those freak accidents. I know how hard it is to lose a beloved pet.

Aw, how sad. It's really not often that you come across cats like your lil Milton. I like cats, and I LOVE cats that like being around people. Poor little guy.

this same thing happened to one of our cats! He was on the couch with my husband, getting love, acting just fine and fell off the couch and was dead. I'm thinking brain aneurism (sp?)? It was not the fall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information