Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beijing Olympics unofficial live goldfish keyrings are cruel

Thumbs down Beijing Olympics unofficial live goldfish keyrings are cruel

Animal welfare groups have described sales of live goldfish trapped inside unofficial Olympic merchandise in China as “shocking”.

SIPA PRESS/REX FEATURES
    Olympic mascot Huanhuan and his ill-fated piscine companion

Waterfront traders in Qingdao, where Olympic sailing events will take place this summer, have been selling the fish inside heart-shaped novelty plastic key rings.
    A cheerful picture of a boy called Huanhuan - one of five mascots for the 2008 games - is printed on the front of a sealed plastic bag containing the fish, with no room to swim and a short supply of oxygen inside.
    The RSPCA spokesman said: “The fish would have little oxygen available and it would be impossible to feed the fish.

“The fish would survive just a few hours, and would be lucky to make it from the manufacturers to the point of sale.
    “This product shows a shocking lack of respect for a living thing and should be withdrawn from sale.
    “We are shocked and appalled. It is a gimmick and shows no respect for the animals at all.
    “We can’t understand why anyone would want to buy such a thing.”

Beijing Olympics unofficial live goldfish keyrings are cruel, say RSPCA - Telegraph

Not so shocking....the Chinese aren't really known for their enlightened views on animals. Or people, for that matter.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Boo. Cruelty sucks. Whatever cruelty a person inflicts upon another should be inflicted upon them.

This is part of the Chinese view on things.....animals to them are just animals...

They don't care about western thinking on this issue, and it isn't right for us to impose our thinking on them.

If you don't like it, when you get to Qingdao, don't buy one.....

But just as a travel tip....If something like this upsets you, mainland China's probably not a place you'd want to visit
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

They don't care about western thinking on this issue, and it isn't right for us to impose our thinking on them.

If you don't like it, when you get to Qingdao, don't buy one.....

But just as a travel tip....If something like this upsets you, mainland China's probably not a place you'd want to visit
    You pretty much summed up my thoughts.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Eli

Fucking idiots.

Wrong.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

This is absolutely disgusting. A few years ago I remember there being an article about the craze of kittens being pushed into bottles when they were still small and they would eventually grow inside the bottle...

Absolutely feral. Will never ever visit China.
    ssabmud

Oh the bonsai kittens ... that's all bullshit - but oh my it was funny how the internets were abuzz with folks outraged at the idea.

SVZ

umm you can just cut those open and put them in a bowl..that's what they're for

i've seen fish sold like this in *America*

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post

You blaspheme SUZ! Nothing like that would ever happen in the USA! They have PETA to protect them from that !
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post

That's what I thought, they do look mean but the fish can be freed!

CCkissesx
    This is absolutely disgusting. A few years ago I remember there being an article about the craze of kittens being pushed into bottles when they were still small and they would eventually grow inside the bottle...
    Oh Noes! Bonsai Kittens! I remember being vaguely disgusted at that website until I realised that you never actually saw tangible evidence of the square cat, and realised it was a hoax.

It's still up, like it was all those years ago!
    Bonsai Kitten
    It's actually quite funny when you know it's not real.

from the FAQ
    Months ago, you have masterfully shaped my kitten into a trapezoid; however, now, the 45-degree angle on the tail side is weakining, making her more of a rhombus than anything. Although, I could reinforce the front side with the angular clamps you sell, I'm afraid she might turn out to be a parallelogram. Any tips?

I've lived here all my life & have never seen fish sold like that in *America*.

However, you do see people taking fish home from the stores in plastic bags, but they're not permanently sealed & it's just for transport.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    I've lived here all my life & have never seen fish sold like that in *America*.

However, you do see people taking fish home from the stores in plastic bags, but they're not permanently sealed & it's just for transport.
    They sell those fighter fish in plastic cubes at petsmart, I don't even know how you're supposed to feed them because you can't open them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information