Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My kitty :(

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Default My kitty :(

I'm worried about my cat. A month ago i woke up on a Saturday morning and she was just not right. I knew something was seriously wrong so i called my vet who said they were booked up and couldn't see us so they gave me a couple of other vets to try. I called one of the others and they were booked but they said to bring her in and they would do tests etc and then see me in the afteroon. As it turns out, they were able to see us when i got there. The vet noticed some pain in her lower stomach area and recommended a bunch of tests. They did X-rays, urine, blood etc. When they were extracting the urine with a needle they withdrew a bunch of pus. To make a long story short, they determined she had some kind of abcess/infection and gave her a major dose of antibiotics and iv fluids. That day she was horribly depressed and i was sure that i was going to have to put her down. She was literally looking at me and saying "help me". Sunday was the same and i was preparing myself for the inevitable. Sunday evening she perked up and by Monday she was fine! The vet said to bring her back in 2 weeks for another antibiotic shot and taught me how to administer sub-cutaneous fluids (she has some kidney disease). All was well, she was eating like never before (new prescription cat food) and she was super perky after her water treatments. I noticed the last few days she wasn't finishing her food and when the vet called this morning to see how she was doing, i mentioned that, and that she had vomitted a few times. They said they would have a vet look at her file and get back to me. Since then my baby has been going to the litter box incessantly but not able to get anything out. At first i thought she was constipated (which i'm sure she is) but she's not peeing either. I gave her some sub-q fluids and called the vet back and they said they would have the vet call me when he had a chance to look at her file. It's just breaking my heart to see her trying so hard in her box. She gets in, strains, nothing happens, she hops out and then turns around and hops back in. She has been doing this for about 2 hours . It's killing me.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Get her back to the vet fast. How old is she?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I just called the vet again and left another message. They keep telling me that the file has been given to the vet, he's the only one there today, he's fully booked yada yada.
    Kitty is quite old, she is 15 1/2 but she's always been extremely healthy. I don't want to take her to the animal hospital if i can help it---$$$. I've already spent $900 in this past month--not that i wouldn't do it again but i am trying to keep the cost down if i can.

She's settled down though. She's sitting quietly in her carrying cage (she likes it in there for some reason) and hasn't been to the box for about an hour, which is a great relief for me--i hate to see her suffer in any way.

i wouldn't wait for the bet to call back, i'd be sitting in the office.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Maybe a Urinary Tract Infection?? My cat got them almost constantly until we put her on special food.

Hope your kitty is ok!! I know its so hard to see them suffer!!

Quote Originally Posted by msdebagain View Post
    i wouldn't wait for the bet to call back, i'd be sitting in the office.
    I agree. Go sit in their office and explain that it's an emergency and you'll wait until they have a minute to see her/review her chart. A little bit of added pressure is worth it.

I hope you are there with her now. Urinary/fecal blockages are not good and if she has a urinary tract infection, you know how painful those can be. Please keep us posted.

Well the vet finally called and asked if i "would be able to bring her in this afternoon". I told him that's what i was waiting to hear (duh). I took kitty straight away and the vet was able to see us after a wait. I've never dealt with this vet but my vet wasn't in. I think he is probably the most incompetent vet i've ever seen. He acted like he's never seen a cat before. He literally looked completely befuddled.I had to explain to him all the tests she has had in the past month and the antibiotic treatments etc. The guy couldn't even handle her (an elderly cat) and had to ask me to hold her for him. God bless my cat though, as he was examining her she peed right on the table, it was great. At first it was water (which he caught in his hand) and then you could see that it was full of pus and obviously an infection. He said there were crystals there but i didn't see any. In any case, he poured the pee in his hand into a test tube and then syringed a sample of the pus and is sending them both off for culture. He gave her a 21 day course of antibiotics and gave her the first dose. Of course as soon as i drove up to my apartment, she barfed the whole lot up and now i have to try to give her another tablet. Hopefully they will have the culture results on Tues. Poor thing.

Thanks for the support and for being here.

I suck. I just tried to give her a pill--i just couldn't get it to go down. She spat it out, it was on the floor a couple of times and started dissolving, i had pill all over my hand. After about 10 tries i got it down. But then she started foaming at the mouth--she had this big string of foamy spit hanging out of her mouth, i'd wipe it with a tissue then it would build up again.

You can see the spit string hanging. We are both so traumatized right now .

Hit By Ban Bus!

Trying to get your pet medical help is worse than trying to get help for humans and just as costly.

After 840 bucks my vet said take her home she isn't going to make it......he had no idea what was wrong with her. I took her home and hand fed her, slept on the floor next to her and waited for her to pass away. That was 2 years ago and good old Harriett is still around.

Let us know how your kitty cat is doing.

Try to get a pill gun. It looks like a syringe with a rounded tip where you place the pill. You just plunge it down their throat. You can get it at any pet store. It works like a charm.

Glad you were able to get her seen, even if the vet wasn't the greatest. Any idea on how she got the original infection and is the current one related?

I was using a pill gun . I'm still hopeless.

No idea how she got the original infection, she's an indoor cat, never been out. She has had some kidney disease for a while and the vet said to give her heartburn medication, as her tummy is acidic. Of course, with the inability to give her pills, that didn't happen. So my theory is that maybe she had some kind of ulcer? The lab techs thought it was likely a "gastrointestinal abcess". She's had the 2 rounds of antibiotics and was doing great until this last problem. I don't know if it's related or just a really bad coincidence. I feel so bad for upsetting her so much with the pill fiasco but i know i'm going to have to do it again tomorrow.

I would see if the vet can give you liquid antibiotics instead. That way you can just stick it in the corner of their mouth and squirt.

If you're stuck with the pills, kind of straddle kitty between your knees. Squeeze her mouth open, toss the pill down her throat, hold her mouth shut while massaging her throat. That's the only way I can do it....

Hope kitty gets well soon.

Poor kitty, she looks like such a pretty cat.

Have you tried putting the pill into a treat? That usually works for my dog.

I really hope she gets better soon.

You can try to crush the pill into powder and put it in some "stinky" food. This way she can't smell it. Poor baby.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information