Thread: Controversial artist dedicates sculpture to Oprah Winfrey's deceased dogs

Default Controversial artist dedicates sculpture to Oprah Winfrey's deceased dogs

When I first saw this, it took a couple minutes before I could even say anything. You're looking at a life-size monument depicting deceased pups, Gracie and Sophie, atop the head of Oprah Winfrey. Called "Memories of Sophie and Gracie: A Puppies' Memorial," the sculpture was designed by Daniel Edwards. Now his name sounded familiar to me, but I couldn't quite place it, so I googled him up – lo and behold, he's the same controversial sculptor who created that statue of Britney Spears giving birth on the bearskin rug. If you're interested in checking it out up close, it will be displayed at NYC's Leo Kesting Gallery from May 22 - June 8. Learn a little more about the reasoning behind this sculpture when you read more.
    "To represent Sophie and Gracie together, joined in Oprah’s memory as they were in life and in Oprah’s heart, the artist depicted them as conjoined at the hip and sharing a common tail,” says co-director John Leo. The dogs are shown standing on the flowing-maned golden likeness of Oprah’s head, in reference to how the dogs’ deaths may be weighing heavily on Winfrey’s mind. “Losing two beloved pets within a year is likely to take its toll on anybody.”
    While the artist says his intentions were to draw attention to the overlooked threat of accidental pet fatality from not pet proofing a home (Gracie choked on a ball), it's still a tad too morbid for my tastes – what do you think?

Memories of Sophie and Gracie: Controversial Artist Dedicates Sculpture to Oprah's Deceased Dogs | Oprah Winfrey, All Dogs Go to Heaven, art | PetSugar - Furry Friends.

Hotlanta, GA

the dog sculpture is nice, but Oprah's head scares me!

Thread Information