Thread: The robin who hatched her babies in a hardhat

Default The robin who hatched her babies in a hardhat

It's tough finding a home for a big family, particularly when property is in short supply.

But mothers are resourceful creatures.
    This lady robin, for instance, made herself a nest in a hard hat in an electrical firm's warehouse. Scroll down for more...
    Cheep rent: The nest contained six small blue speckled eggs, four of which hatched successfully

She had been swooping around inside the building for some time and of course failed to find any trees.
    The hard hat was the next best thing for keeping fragile eggs safe.
    Staff found her nest while clearing out old equipment and decided to leave it be.
    Of the six speckled blue eggs tucked inside, four hatched and their contents began cheeping away. Scroll down for more...
    Robin Red nest: The bird on her hardhat - which became her home while she hatched her babies

John Clark, the boss at the Arc Electrical firm in Malton, North Yorkshire, said the family has adapted well to its unusual home.
    He said: "The mother doesn't seem to be bothered about everyone working around her and all the noise and she's always back and forth with worms for the youngsters." Scroll down for more...
    The robin had been swooping in the electrical firm's building for some time and of course failed to find any trees

She is obviously a robin of taste, as she chose the only red hard hat out of 14 placed on the wall - the others all being white.
    Storeman Paddy Westoby said: "I couldn't believe it when I saw a full nest in the hat. It's the talk of the office. "There was a pheasant in here the other day. They will start calling me Bill Oddie before long."

Hats off to the resourceful robin who hatched her babies in a hardhat | the Daily Mail

Awww!! How sweet. We have a birds nest over our back patio. I see the little birds going in there to watch their eggs.

Thread Information