Thread: Arthritis in pets

Thumbs down Arthritis in pets

Well, Freddie is ok after having his op, but we just found out he has arthritis in one of his legs, three legs are fine but one is abit dodgy. Nothing too major at the moment, but I don't like to think of him in pain He occasionally does a limp on the leg, so we rest him. I have heard accupuncture is good if things get bad.

Anyone else with an arthritic pet?

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

My Emooz had it after I took him for a very very long walk.

He couldn't jump up on the couch like he used to.

The vet gave us some pain meds. A lot of the medical problems my Emooz has had, the vet usually told us weight loss would help.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Hi Honey, sorry to hear about poor Freddie.

Taz had arthritis for years as a result of a dislocated hip he suffered at birth and of course his deformed back legs. My vet recommended buying a glucosamine and chondroitin based product as it's proven to help arthritis sufferers.

We got Glyco Flex III for Taz which seemed to make a huge difference and we also gave him a regular human cod liver oil capsule daily. He only needed occasional painkillers when he had flare ups, until near the end of his life when we had to give him Rimadyl painkillers daily.

There's numerous products available from here. Some do seem expensive but one tub of glyco flex for Taz lasted over 6 months. It was a nightmare getting him to take it because the tablets are enormous, but he was usually tempted if we wrapped them in a cheese slice
    Petmeds.co.uk - Pet Medication Supplies - DOGS_ARTHRITIS

Here's more info on glucosamine.
    Glucosamine for Dogs
    The Pet Arthritis Center

Highly recommend the cod liver oil.This shouldn't slow him down much, but he has GOT to stay trim. No more doggie cookies!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Our beagle, Patches, has arthritis. She was in a great deal of pain, so we took her to the vet to talk about our options. He recommended human arthritis medicine. I think it was Bayer, but I'm not sure. Patches gets one pill crushed up with her food every day. It works wonders. She's very active now and doesn't seem to be hurting at all.

Our vet thinks Josie has mild arthritis. According to him, most of us and our animals with experience some mild arthritis in our lives. The joints break down over time. When it acts up really bad, for more than a day or two, we put her on Deramaxx. It's like Rimidyl, but a bit safer for labradors.

sending big hugs to Freddie! He is a darling boy!

Silver Member

Unhappy

buy him a small heating pad

Gold Member

Have you thought about a pet stroller (buggy)? I know it sounds funny but if he weighs less than 25 pounds (11.4 kg) this works GREAT! Here's a link from a retailer I'm not familiar with:

AT3 All Terrain Pet Stroller

We have a similar one for our two cats and although they don't enjoy the ride together if we put them in there individually they enjoy it very much! They both have FIV (feline form of HIV) and therefore can't go outside at the risk of infecting other cats. This may be a nice option for your pooch to smell the outdoors without hurting his little joints.

I open a capsule of Cosequin (a glucosamine/chondritin medicine for cats and dogs) and mix it into my arthritic cat's wet food once a day. He has gotten so much better, he can jump anywhere, and hardly has any issues now. Not sure if it's called the same thing in the UK, but you can get it through petmeds.com, and any number of other retailers....you don't need a prescription.

Thanks for all your replies you helpful bunch

Hehe sadly no stroller for the beastie boy as he weighs 30kg It's a good suggestion for smaller dogs, the image of Fred in one made me giggle xxxxxx

He is a good weight, we make sure neither of the dogs gets too big, as we want them to be healthy and comfortable.

Fred sends wet kisses

Rimadyl was great for my doglins! She can't use it now though, as she's on anti-inflammatories.

Gold Member

I've heard either baby asperin or vitamin E will work.

I'm sorry to hear about Freddie.

My sweet girl has a bit of arthritis in her legs too. When she's extra achy I give her a chewable baby aspirin in a chunk of cheese and it helps a lot. The vet said it was safe.

I forgot to say that glucosamine really helped my dog as well. You can get it from health shops. I used to go to Holland and Barrett. She can't take it with certain meds though, so check with your vet if you're thinking about trying it. I really hope Freddie is doing ok

Thread Information