Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions: Parents getting new dog!

Smile Suggestions: Parents getting new dog!

My parents are going to get a new dog in June. (Our Beloved family pet dog of ten years died suddenly late last summer. )

They want:

-Something a couple years old(potty trained!)
    -something that is not too overactive and will get along with older people(they are 75 and 80)
    -Something maybe just a little big bigger than a lap dog..not too tiny, but something that can be carried about and taken on trips, washed in a sink, etc. (not too teeny tiny)

They want me to help pick it out.

Any suggestions?
    Don't slap me, cause I'm not in the mood!

Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

A poodle/something mix. Non shedding,smart,not too active. Comes in all sizes. But mostly start monitoring the local pet shelters & talk to the people who have been fostering the dogs.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I think rescue centres do a kind of dating service for owners and pets, well they do here. They match what an owner is looking for and show what dogs they have to offer to match the criteria. New dog, exciting time

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Puggle I think you wanted one Sojitodd? Or was it a beagle???

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

I need to squeeze that puggle and kiss it

A*O

Poodles are good. Very smart, don't need huge amounts of exercise, and they don't shed - a HUGE plus. I somehow doubt you will find one in an animal shelter or RSPCA home and I'm guessing you don't want to pay a lot of money for a pure bred pedigree but if you can find a mutt with a good dose of poodle genes you'll be fine.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

I have never been much of a poodle person. We had Boston terriers in my family. They are really smart and such a good family pet. A lot of small dogs can be too yappy- barking at everything. Ours only barked if someone was knocking on the door or that sort of thing. She was great.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

Terriers and retrievers need a lot of exercise. That means, dachshunds, Beagles, etc. are probably ruled out, right?
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

A smooth coat miniature Dachshund! They love everyone, they don’t shed, and they love to cuddle.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

PUGS baby!!!

Though, would be hard to find at a Shelter. Mixed breed or Mutt would probably be their best bet for good tempermant, though Pugs are super cool and usually laid back when they are a bit older.

My son and I have begun volunteering at our local shelter, and you'd be suprised the kinds of dogs they get in there. There was just a Weimeramer (spelling?) up for adoption, and I know those are $500+ dogs.

I choose a dog more for it's temperment than how it looks. There was a very intimidating Rottweiler there, and he was the nicest, sweetest boy. I say go to the shelters to find a dog with the temperment they are looking for, rather than worry about the breed.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

For Easter, I got my son a Great Dane/Bull dog mix. She's gorgeous and is the color of the Weimeraners (everybody thinks she is one) and it is the most hyper damned animal ever! My arms are so chewed up.... of course, I did say that I wanted an "ass biter" just in case the ex pulls something funny again.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

-Don't get a puggle. Pugs are sedentary (tend to get fat) but beagles are NUTS, esp around food.

After working at a shelter for a few years, I found that English Bulldogs are good for the elderly, as they can't walk much, due to their legs. They're gentle and relatively quiet.

-Toy Poodles yap a lot, and are very intelligent (though the smaller ones are less so) Toy Poodles get into everything and have a tendency to snap or nip when they don't get their way. Go for a standard (large_ Poodle if you want the best of this breed, intelligent, calm, non shedding and quiet.

- Someone else suggested a Westie, also a good chioce, as they don't shed (less clean up!) and can be kept outside for longer hours than most small dogs., not as yappy either.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

Rescue groups are also great once you settle on a specific breed. They often have mixes of that breed, too. The staff will do everything possible to make sure the dog is a good match for the family, temperament-wise and everything else.

Shelters and rescue groups = good
    Breeders and puppy mills = BAD

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information