Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about adopting pound puppies

Unhappy Question about adopting pound puppies

So I recenlty adopted an adorable puppy from a local city shelter here in TX. When I adopted her she had a sore on her leg and the lady at the shelter said she had already seen the vet and it was a burn that was healing. The puppy was on antibiotics so I went ahead and took her home, because I couldn't let them put her down she was too adorable. So I took her to the vet a couple days later (I adopted her late Friday and took her to the vet on Monday) they checked her wound and said it was actually infected so they treated it and I went on. We took her to training and she did wonderfuly. It has been about eight weeks or so and now that she is growing like crazy we have noticed that her foot that had the sore is growing at an odd angle. So I took her to the vet again on Saturday and they took some Xrays, turns out she was never burned, she was shot and now has a pellet in the growth plate in her leg. We now have to do surgery to remove the pellet for her to have any chance at her leg growing straight.

My thinking is that the shelter should have fully checked her out being a 3 month old puppy being surrendered and they obviously didn't. I guess I am just frustrated that my $10 shelter rescue puppy has now cost me almost $2000 and we haven't had the surgery yet. I am no way going to give her up just because she has a crooked leg, she is my baby!!

Do you guys think that I am entitled to ask the Shelter to help with the cost of the surgery to remove the pellet?

Sorry this got so long! Thanks for your suggestions!!

I don't know about asking them to help cover the cost, but I would at least say something to them about the misinformation they gave you.

There's no harm in asking, but I doubt they will do anything. Good luck and kudos for picking a shelter puppy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I think you should contact them. No idea if you are entitled to anything, I don't know how these things work. But they may have some funds for that sort of thing or might be able to take a collection, or something. It's not fair that you've had to shoulder this expense because they didn't do their job properly.

I'm wishing all the best for your puppy. Post a pic if you can!

Yes,I think they need to cover this. I do wonder, if they had know-would they have put her down? It may work out to be merciful they didn't! But at least SEE-also see if the Vet will work with you.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Well they didn't tell you the truth which is naughty, unless they really did not know??

They may offer to pay abit of it, I guess if you don't ask you don't know. Is she insured now?

An interesting quandary for sure. Most shelters have on staff vets that do through exams of all incoming pets. It sounds as though the exam may have been superficial, though 'hot spots' are very common on dogs and puppies.

Talk to them and let them know the findings, and if you can, talk to their on staff vet to see if that vet is willing to do the surgery at a reduced rate.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Awww, that's too bad. Of course you don't want to give the puppy back, she's your baby now. But, that's a big financial burden to take on.

Did you sign any adoption agreement or contract? If so, what does it say about the shelter's responsibility regarding the health of the dog?

No, you aren't entitled to ask for money they haven't got.

Do you know how much 1 puppy costs to feed, shelter and give vaccinations to? Your $10 purchase wouldn't feed that pup for a month, let alone it's first shots and the cost of staff cage cleaning, bathing, etc. The reason these dogs come cheap is because the less animals at the shelter means less net loss for the shelter. I'm sorry it will cost you so much...but it's probably less than a purebred would have cost you originally.

It's like buying a wallet at The Dollar Store over buying it from Gucci, if it falls apart, which store is MORE likely to have the money to reimburse you?
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    No, you aren't entitled to ask for money they haven't got.

Do you know how much 1 puppy costs to feed, shelter and give vaccinations to? Your $10 purchase wouldn't feed that pup for a month, let alone it's first shots and the cost of staff cage cleaning, bathing, etc. The reason these dogs come cheap is because the less animals at the shelter means less net loss for the shelter. I'm sorry it will cost you so much...but it's probably less than a purebred would have cost you originally.

It's like buying a wallet at The Dollar Store over buying it from Gucci, if it falls apart, which store is MORE likely to have the money to reimburse you?
    $10??? Wow! I paid $200 each for my two rescue dogs!

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

^Tell me about it. I paid several hundred dollars to rescue my boston terrier years ago.

Sometimes it really is less expensive to buy a purebred from a private breeder.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

The odds are pretty high that the shelter doesn't have the equipment to do something even as basic as an x-ray. The one I work at doesn't and we don't have an on staff vet. We have vets who come in to do spay/neuter and otherwise, vet techs do examinations and animal care.

Between lack of equipment and sheer numbers of pets to take care of, it is completely possible that a burn was their best guess. At least they gave you the medication that they thought she would need.

Shelters lose money on every pet they adopt out, especially the ones that don't get government funding. It usually costs roughly $300 per pet and very few shelters ever make back in adoption fees what they put out; donations (or government funding for animal control facilities) are what allows them to keep running.

Trust me- they do not have the money to give you. Giving you that money means that X number of pets will not make it up for adoption because the money that could have gone towards their care, food and to getting them vaccinated, spayed/neutered, etc. went to you. Besides, most shelters stipulate in the adoption contract that you sign that you are taking the pet as is and that they are absolved of any future medical bills.

I know it's hard when you have to shell out more money than you were expecting to have to with a pet, but just like with children, unexpected things happen with animals.

A*O

It's strange they couldn't tell the difference between a "burn" and a gunshot but as others have said, these shelders usually operate on a shoestring with volunteer staff. Has the dog been desexed and vaccinated too? If so, your $10 was a bargain and if not then I'd question the shelter's competance. Well meaning people who take in every abandoned, injured or sick mutt have a responsibility to make sure they are in good health before they are adopted or situations like this can occur. By all means tell them what happened but you won't get a dime out of them (a) because I guarantee they won't have the money and (b) they will have let you have the dog on a "sold as seen" basis so the burden was/is on you to make sure the dog was/is healthy.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Well..I know over here in Ca, we paid 100-120 for each stray, and she came with shots, food, etc. I find it to be strange that they didn't find this out..hm..

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

The only advice I could give (which may or may not be useful) is to get a pet insurance. This particular injury would probably not be covered because it is pre-existing but just to save you vet costs in the future, if your dog were to get sick or get into an accident.

My dog is too old to qualify for one so I'd urge anyone with a young pet to get pet insurance. I could've saved thousands over the years if I had one.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information