Thread: This is adorable: Best mates, the baby kangaroo and the wonder dog that saved it

Default This is adorable: Best mates, the baby kangaroo and the wonder dog that saved it

By all accounts the baby kangaroo should have not survived the road accident that claimed its mother...but then along came Rex the wonder dog.

The pointer discovered the baby roo, known as a joey, alive in the mother's pouch and took it back to his owner.
    "I was so surprised and delighted," said Leonie Allan. "Rex saved the day."
    The four-month-old joey's mother was killed by a car near Ms Allan's home in Torquay, Victoria, Australia.
    Scroll down for more...
    Play mates: Rex the pointer and the baby kangeroo he rescued and took home after its mother was killed on the road in Victoria, Australia

"I'd taken Rex for a walk and we'd gone past the dead kangaroo that morning, and later I was working out the front and he started pointing," Ms Allan said.

"I was worried he'd found a snake and called him back, but when he returned he dropped the joey at my feet.
    "He obviously sensed the baby roo was still alive in the pouch and somehow had gently grabbed it by the neck, gently retrieved it and brought it to me."

Amazingly, the 10-year-old dog - a cross between a German shorthaired and wirehaired pointer - had been so tender with the joey that it was both calm and unmarked.
    Scroll down for more...
    Friendly nuzzle: Rex was so tender with the baby kangeroo that it has no fear of him

"The joey was snuggling up to him, jumping up to him and Rex was sniffing and licking him - it was quite cute," Ms Allan said.

The joey, to be named Rex Jr after his saviour, is now being cared for at Jirrahlinga Wildlife Sanctuary and when he is 18 months old will be released back into the wild.
    Director Tehree Gordon said she was amazed by the trusting bond between the two animals.
    "We often have humans that come in after accidentally hurting joeys when they wriggle and fall from their hands," she said.

"That Rex was so careful and knew to bring the baby to his owners, and that the joey was so relaxed and didn't see Rex as a predator, is quite remarkable." Scroll down for more...
    Jumping for joy: The two animals have bonded and play together

She added: "It's a lesson that dogs can be raised to be familiar and compatible with wildlife, you just have to teach them right from wrong.

"It's a credit to the owners, who have taught him to be tolerant of the kangaroos, echidnas and other animals that regularly come through their property."
    Owner Leonie said Rex is not always the perfect hero: "He's no angel, just an ordinary family dog with a bit of a naughty streak and a very gentle, passive, lovable temperament."

Best mates, the baby kangaroo and the wonder dog that saved it | the Daily Mail

How wonderful.

Awww. I think that Rosie, my pointer would have taken the poor baby roo for a snack and the ending wouldn't be so happy. But that's just adorable!!!

So sweet!

I find it amazing that completely different species, and orders can get along so well...and yet humans still haven't overcome skin colour.

We have a lot to learn from these so called "less intelligent" animals.
    "In the face of the blinding sun, I wake only to find
    that Heaven is a stranger place than than one I've left behind." - SM

What a heart-warming story!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

What's round on the ends and high in the middle?

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie Normos View Post
    I find it amazing that completely different species, and orders can get along so well...and yet humans still haven't overcome skin colour.

We have a lot to learn from these so called "less intelligent" animals.
    Amen!

That baby is so frail-very lucky,indeed.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

That's so sweet! I'm glad the dog saved the baby kangaroo.
    No matter what anybody tells you, words and ideas can change the world

Thread Information