Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My kitty is sick

Default My kitty is sick

My baby, my kitty, Monkey is sick. Real sick. a few weeks ago, she was beating some other cats ass, and caught her tail on something. It hurt her, but the cut wasnt too bad. Then it got infected and it fell off. we cleaned it and figured she was on the road to health. Then it started to smell,so i knew it was infected. we were treating it again, then today she screamed out loud, and more of her tail fell off. there’s some blood, and she’s staying away from us. I was able to clean it, but she just doesnt look right.
    Tomorrow we have to find a vet that takes payments so we can see about getting her fixed. I’m scared shitless that this is going to cost too much, and we’ll have to put her to sleep. She’s 12 yrs old April 1st.
    i am pro euthanasia for anyone, people included. i dont want her to suffer, but i hate that we’re so freaking poor that i cant even keep my baby alive. i hate to have this decision come down to money, but i’ve gotta be realistic.
    anyone had to deal with this problem? you know, pets and money?
    i mean, if it was my hub or daughter, and something happened, a hospital would take them no questions. but an animal? why should they have to suffer because its owners are cash poor? damn this sucks.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Omg. I am so sorry about this. I hope she's okay. This is awful.

I'm so sorry, mdebagain. It sounds to me like she might have an abcess -- can you take her to an emergency vet at the SPCA, because I really don't think you should wait another minute. I think it is awful that pet owners are put in this position -- sometimes the SPCA or the U.S. equivalent has cheaper pet care. It's worth a call anyway.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Oh no.

Definetly get her to the vet as soon as possible.

why should they have to suffer because its owners are cash poor?
    How much do you think you'd need?
    That tugs my heartstrings. I could send you $20 if you think that would help....(and if you don't think that's too weird)

Great idea. I'd be willing to donate some money, too.

I would too. I'm a student without a job, but I can spare a little bit to help your baby. I'm so sorry.

How can we do this? Is there a free animal clinic in your city? It may be at her age, a death sentence anyway-whatever you do. I can't stand the thought of her in pain.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

thanks PB i'll call the spca in the morning. NO to money, omg you guys are wonderful for offering.

there is an update on this, my cat has her kitty bed she lays in outside, and isnt there. she is ALWAYS there when the sun goes down. Hub made this comment that sometimes pets go away to be sick, etc.
    i even thought of putting one of my percocets in her food to help her with pain, but dont want to make things worse.

my mom in law gave us the number to the pet hospital near us, she uses them alot. we asked her for a place that takes payments, and she thinks they do.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

OK -- two things: do NOT give your cat human medication, not even aspirin. Cats react badly to most medicine. They're very different from dogs that way. Hubby is right. When animals are badly injured or sick, they almost always hide. It's instinctual to protect themselves when they are vulnerable. I would call the spca tonight -- they might still be open.

I agree, it definitely sounds like an abcess. They are usually from a bite/puncture wound and cats are very prone to them. My experience..they won't go away on their own.

My male cat had abcesses on both his front legs a few weeks ago. It took a visit to the vet (who lanced them...it's really gross and I don't want to do it!!) and a course of antibiotics. It cost me $75.

If you can't afford the vet visit, maybe you can just purchase some antibiotics from a vet? Not sure if they'll do that without seeing the animal, but it's worth a try.

Also, if you have any kind of feed stores in your area, they usually sell antibiotics for livestock which might work as long as you can figure out the dosage based on weight of the cat.

can i share a couple of pics of her?

Lighten Up Francis WCG

If it's as badly abcessed as it sounds, I think they will definitely need to lance it, and will probably give the cat a shot of antibiotics, and pills to follow. Poor kitty.

ETA: she's beautiful.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^Better to be poor kitty than dead kitty though. The antibiotic shots thing sounds hopeful.

She's very pretty, great eyes. She looks like she has a fighting spirit, so I wouldn't count her out just yet. Is she a tuxedo cat?

so that smell that she has is an abcess? man it is awful.

i see pics of tuxedo cats, they all look like her.
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

She is beautiful.

Please let us help you if we can. That poor baby. I can't even sleep now because I'm so sad about this.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information